Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sam and I started a new set of Obedience classes tonight. The focus of the class is to pass the "Canine Good Citizen" test. From what I have learned so far I think the hardest thing is going to be the "Greeting the Friendly Stranger". Sam thinks he should love everyone and everyone should love him. He has a hard time remaining in a "sit" and greet people. We will have to work on being calm.:rolleyes:

Has anyone done the CGC test?

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Dora did the CGC test as a puppy. I was scared of the leaving your dog with a stranger... It seemed like forever! At least you are practicing. I always have her do a sit when doing the greeting a stranger. Also note that slight curiousity and happiness is fine. Just not jumping up and down on the stranger.

I helped with our club's recent CGC test evaluation so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Amanda

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I started training for it, but have never finished it. The biggest obstacle I've heard most Havanese have is Test 10: Supervised Separation, where you have to go out of your dog's site for 3 minutes. Many dogs (Havs) that have had obedience training have a hard time with 3 minutes, but it can be done. The second most difficult I've heard is the one you've described, Test 1: Accepting a Friendly Stranger with Test 5: Walking through a crowd following close behind.

If you can even reinforce a good number of the training needed to pass most of the tests, your Havs will be much better off than those that haven't had the training. The Canine Good Citizen Program is a really good program for dog owners to follow. It also sets a good bond between you and your dog(s).

Good luck! How long do they tell you to train before taking the tests?

Edited to add: We did training on our own at home. We don't have a CGC class available near us, so I was just reinforcing basic obedience here at the house.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck! How long do they tell you to train before taking the tests?
The next time the test will be held in my area is in August, so we have lots of time to practice. Because Sam has had 2 other sessions of puppy classes, he may be able to pass the test now. We are in no rush. I love going to classes. Next stop Rally O. Which is new to the Canadian Kennel Club as of Jan. 07

·
Jeanne
2,622 Posts
I'd love to do CGC after our obedience classes are finished and Maddie is a little older. Probably the biggest problem would be for our dog to show only casual interest on my meeting a "friendly stranger". Most Havanese, including ours, have that "love me, love me" attitude, no matter who they meet. Also, having to leave your dog out of sight for 3 minutes might be difficult. Our previous Havanese accomplished this at Obedience Class, but most of these dogs hate our being out of their sight!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Good for you, Debbie and Sam! I'm envious. I so wanted to keep taking classes with Ricky throughout the winter, but it wasn't to be. Now I'd love to take some, but the ones close by don't start until May. I would love for hubby to take one pup and me take the other so we could do this together. I'll want to do the GCC after a couple of basic obed. classes. Sounds like a great experience!!

I want to hear all about it from you!! :)

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Our training club encourages members to take it after beginning obedience- a nine week course teaching you how to walk your dog on leash, sit, down stay. Remember during the CGC testing you can talk to your dog unlimited. It isn't obedience! The last round I helped with- 30/32 teams passed. The issues with the 2 dogs were a beagle who howled when mommy left and the other a lab that was too friendly and jumping on everyone.

Amanda

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Wow that sounds like fun!! Oreo will be starting his second round of puppy obedience and also will be beginning puppy agility. This CGC sounds really interesting. Maybe that is something I can strive for with Oreo. It just may be that the journey maybe what it takes to really build his confidence.

Good luck to you and Sammy, Debbie!! :)

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sam Passed!!!

Tonight was Sam graduation. He passed the mock test with no problems. :D Even the "Supervised Separation". The instructors discribed Sam as doing a "Frog Dog interpretation of a bath mat" Now we have to wait until August for the real test. In the mean time we are going to start some Rally O.:)

PS. He was the only dog in the class to pass all the tests.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Good job Sam!! It's nice when they do so well, like when you kids hit a homerun, or win the race. Passing all his tests!! Way to go!

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Great job Sam & Deb,
It is usually the person who is worried about the seperation anxiety has no problem! Those who aren't worried, the dog goes nuts!

Just get ready for a loose lead for Rally. Since the sport has been around for a few years, Judges are now (there were 3 dogs this weekend!) giving NQ's for those dogs who don't know how to walk on leash. If you have any questions about signs, let me know!

Rally is a blast! I joke that I score high because when the judge comes near me they think I am crazy... I talk to my dog the entire time... usually like "Dora isnt this a nice course. It is also nice our friends are outside the ring watching us, we should show them a good about turn...."

It is a lot of fun and amazing how fast these little dogs learn!

Congrats Again,
Amanda

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone:)

Amanda: This is the Canadian Kennel Clubs first year for Rally O. So everyone is learning, dogs, handlers, trainers and judges. The first show in my area will be in August. I can't wait. It looks like so much fun compared to regular boring old Novice, Open, and Utility.:) Thanks for the incouragement.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Three cheers for Samson and Debbie!! Congrats! :D
It must have been so much fun! I have got to get my act together with these pups of mine. I know Ricky would do well in Agility and I'd love to get the GCC.

Way to go!!

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Debbie, you've inspired me. I started some new tricks with my girls tonight including putting them in a stay and then throwing a treat their way and telling them to continue to "stay" and walking away for a period of time. We really should persue the CGC certification, but that three minutes away makes me nervous. I'm going to keep working on it because of you though!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope I can inspire everyone to get out and have some fun with your "Hav". These little guys are so smart and eager to please.

My Shepherds wanted to please so they would do what I asked, but they didn't seem to have fun. No matter what I tried. Sam just loves to learn. He looks at me as if to say "What next Mom".

Yes Kimberly, you should persue the CGC.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Congrats Sam and Debbie!It must be fun to be your dog! :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Congratulations Debbie and Sam!!!! I am envious. I just want to start our first puppy classes. I love the post though. Gives us ideas of what we can work on for the "Good Citizen Test"

Great Job and thanks for sharing.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts