Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Boo (1 yo as opposed to Boo of Boo’s Dad fame who is almost 20 yo - you go Boo) is on a homemade chicken and rice and veggie/fruit diet. But he’s starting to pick around the carb and veggie/fruit pieces. I’ll start blendering them but kind of gross. I started with Stella and Chewy dehydrated patties but just went over to boiled chicken at some point since it’s more convenient. Ok. Fast forward. I’m thinking of canned food that will give him the vitamins and minerals he’s not getting without his veggies/fruits. It’s ok if it’s meat based or has grains. Any recommendations? So canned food that is nutritional and dogs like.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
So my Boo (1 yo as opposed to Boo of Boo’s Dad fame who is almost 20 yo - you go Boo) is on a homemade chicken and rice and veggie/fruit diet. But he’s starting to pick around the carb and veggie/fruit pieces. I’ll start blendering them but kind of gross. I started with Stella and Chewy dehydrated patties but just went over to boiled chicken at some point since it’s more convenient. Ok. Fast forward. I’m thinking of canned food that will give him the vitamins and minerals he’s not getting without his veggies/fruits. It’s ok if it’s meat based or has grains. Any recommendations? So canned food that is nutritional and dogs like.
I am curious if the diet you are currently feeding contains any bone or if not, calcium supplement? Was this formulated by someone knowledgeable about homemade diets? You mentioned chicken but I didn’t know if it includes bone.

Also, unless you blend the veggies, the dog cannot get anything out of them anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh. Good point about blending the veggies. Is it because chunks don’t get absorbed? No chicken bones. Boo gets cheese daily as treats. And yogurt if he wants it. I hope that has been enough.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Oh. Good point about blending the veggies. Is it because chunks don’t get absorbed? No chicken bones. Boo gets cheese daily as treats. And yogurt if he wants it. I hope that has been enough.
If you're feeding a homemade diet you should consult with a nutritionist to ensure that you've got the balance right - that's especially needed for little dogs as they're not able to eat the volume that a large dog would (where you could potentially make up for deficits within the volume - though I'd recommend a nutritionist for a large dog too).

I can't speak to canned food - Perry gets stella & Chewy freeze dried patties for breakfast and fromm kibble for dinner.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I consulted with the nutritionist at his vets office. She has left the practice (vet first, nutritional consult 2nd) so don’t have that resource anymore. And yes, I’m looking for canned food. He doesn’t like kibble!

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
If you're feeding a homemade diet you should consult with a nutritionist to ensure that you've got the balance right - that's especially needed for little dogs as they're not able to eat the volume that a large dog would (where you could potentially make up for deficits within the volume - though I'd recommend a nutritionist for a large dog too).

I can't speak to canned food - Perry gets stella & Chewy freeze dried patties for breakfast and fromm kibble for dinner.
I agree. A recipe from a veterinary nutritionist is very important to insure proper nutrition. You may need to add some kind of supplement to balance things right.

If you want to continue with home cooked as opposed to canned, nowadays, there are many commercial sources. My Boo likes JustFoodForDogs. However, I believe other people on the forum like Nom Nom (you just need to investigate).

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
Dogs do not have the ability to digest vegetables. That is why they must be either cooked or ground up.

Cheese and yogurt will NOT provide the calcium your dog needs. This is a young growing dog and she needs even more calcium than an adult. Long term the lack of calcium will cause severe problems. Please switch to a balanced commercial food or get the advice of a nutritionist to prepare your dogs food properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The veggies he’s been eating until a week ago were cooked. Lots of them. About 25% of his food intake. But he’s picking over the pieces now. So I need to find an alternative.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
The veggies he’s been eating until a week ago were cooked. Lots of them. About 25% of his food intake. But he’s picking over the pieces now. So I need to find an alternative.
The MAJOR issue here is that the calcium is way too low. A calcium deficiency will occur overtime and can result in serious skeletal issues that cannot be reversed. if there is not enough calcium in the dog’s diet, the body will steal it from the bones. This is even more critical for young growing dogs. Older dogs can get by with a bit less calcium. There are likely other deficiencies in this diet as well depending on the veggies and meat fed. If you notice, the fresh food diets typically include supplements as well to make up for what is lacking in the food.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
I consulted with the nutritionist at his vets office. She has left the practice (vet first, nutritional consult 2nd) so don’t have that resource anymore. And yes, I’m looking for canned food. He doesn’t like kibble!

ESPECIALLY at your dog's age, if he is not on a commercial diet, he should be on a carefully constructed home-made diet. Boiled chicken or chicken with "fruit veggies and rice" if they are not it the right proportions AND with bone and organ meat are not adequate for any dog, let alone an immature dog. He may SEEM fine in the short term, but you could be doing him long-term, hidden damage.

Stella and Chewy's may SAY "95% chicken" on the label, but it's that other 5% that makes the difference in making it a balanced diet. AND it includes bone and organs.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Boo might like fresh cooked food since he has been on a homemade diet. I was feeding Scout and Truffles a diet consisting of vegetables, yogurt, chicken or turkey and kibble twice daily. After Karen mentioned Nom Nom I decided to give fresh cooked a try. The first brand I ordered was not tolerated. The next try was Nom Nom and they both really like all the different meals that are offered. It's formulated by Board Certified Veterinary Nutritionists and is customized for your pet. Scout weighed 18 lbs. and I wanted him to lose 1 lb. We are into the third month and he now weighs 16 lbs. I'm confident they are getting the proper nutrients and it is a real time saver too! You just need enough room in your freezer since it arrives once a month. :giggle:

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I feed The Farmers Dog food which Leo and Izzy love. It too is delivered to the house so you need freezer space but you can choose the frequency of the delivery. We feed the turkey and pork to both and Izzy likes the beef. The turkey can have some bigger bits so I check before giving the meal to the pups and break up any bits that I think might be too large. This is more for Izzy than for Leo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have been feeding a diet that was given to us by our veterinarian. My pup got sick and the Vet said do you cook for your pup? we said we just started. He said try this low fat diet which we use for Havanese that have flare ups pf Pancreatitis, which is very common. He said if you use this diet they can stay on it for the rest of their lives and be very healthy. I do supplement with a Pet Tab every morning. We have been feeding this diet for 4 years and both of our pups are very healthy. Our vet retired, the vet we just visited said "whatever you are doing just keep doing it, these pups are very healthy." They maintain a great weight too. We also make our own treats. We make about 20 lbs of food at a time and freeze it, lasts about a month for two Havanese, they each get a cup a day, 4 oz in the morning 4oz in the evening. Will be happy to share the recopies if you like.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
We have been feeding a diet that was given to us by our veterinarian. My pup got sick and the Vet said do you cook for your pup? we said we just started. He said try this low fat diet which we use for Havanese that have flare ups pf Pancreatitis, which is very common. He said if you use this diet they can stay on it for the rest of their lives and be very healthy. I do supplement with a Pet Tab every morning. We have been feeding this diet for 4 years and both of our pups are very healthy. Our vet retired, the vet we just visited said "whatever you are doing just keep doing it, these pups are very healthy." They maintain a great weight too. We also make our own treats. We make about 20 lbs of food at a time and freeze it, lasts about a month for two Havanese, they each get a cup a day, 4 oz in the morning 4oz in the evening. Will be happy to share the recopies if you like.
I recall you talking about this diet. I think that the “pet tab” you mentioned is some sort of supplement to provide minerals and vitamins missing in the diet. If you share this recipe, please emphasize how important that supplement is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would like a copy of your recipe, please. Not sure if I'd use it at this point, but would like to have it for the future.
When our Chihuahua was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, we started home cooking to ensure low sodium content. We found this supplement highly recommended on a CHF forum and we felt a lot of confidence using it: Platinum Performance (Canine Wellness & Performance Formula) Dog Supplements | Pet Supplements

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
I would like a copy of your recipe, please. Not sure if I'd use it at this point, but would like to have it for the future.
When our Chihuahua was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, we started home cooking to ensure low sodium content. We found this supplement highly recommended on a CHF forum and we felt a lot of confidence using it: Platinum Performance (Canine Wellness & Performance Formula) Dog Supplements | Pet Supplements
Be VERY careful about using supplements without consulting your veterinarian. Targeted supplements for a specific purpose can be fine. But adding supplements to a well-balanced diet willy-nilly can make that diet UN-balanced!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
We added canned food to Sundance’s food when he was a puppy. I used Merrick puppy food mostly because the ingredients closely matched what the breeder was feeding that wasn’t easily available to me. However I thought it was pretty good quality. I wasn’t thrilled about canned food because canned meat kind of grossed me out, mostly the smell, but this brand at least smelled like canned soup instead of canned dog food! I really came around to the benefits of canned food retaining more nutritional value and I think it’s an underused, affordable option. If I was choosing my own brand of canned dog food and not trying to match the ingredients the breeder was feeding, I might look into Fromm. I haven’t researched their canned food but their kibble met all of my nutritional requirements. Stella and Chewy also has a canned food now but I don’t know much about it or what the cost is, and I’d want to known the cost comparison to frozen patties. Although frozen also retains more nutritional value than kibble, I thought it smelled less than canned food, and that is a factor that probably isn’t as important to most people. If I could get past it I’d probably still be supplementing with canned food but I use freeze dried instead.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts