Havanese Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The veggies he’s been eating until a week ago were cooked. Lots of them. About 25% of his food intake. But he’s picking over the pieces now. So I need to find an alternative.
When I had to cook for my dalmatian because we were living in Azerbaijan and there were no good quality commercial food she world always pick the green beans out and then world only eat them when all the rest of the food was gone :D

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
The purpose of supplements is to provide what is missing from the diet. Therefore, to determine what supplement is needed, a detailed knowledge of what is in the diet is essential. Too much of something can be just as bad as too little. Guessing at supplements can cause problems. Just as guessing about the diet can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have been feeding a diet that was given to us by our veterinarian. My pup got sick and the Vet said do you cook for your pup? we said we just started. He said try this low fat diet which we use for Havanese that have flare ups pf Pancreatitis, which is very common. He said if you use this diet they can stay on it for the rest of their lives and be very healthy. I do supplement with a Pet Tab every morning. We have been feeding this diet for 4 years and both of our pups are very healthy. Our vet retired, the vet we just visited said "whatever you are doing just keep doing it, these pups are very healthy." They maintain a great weight too. We also make our own treats. We make about 20 lbs of food at a time and freeze it, lasts about a month for two Havanese, they each get a cup a day, 4 oz in the morning 4oz in the evening. Will be happy to share the recopies if you like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would love the recipe you feed your two Havanese! I have two as well and they are 10 months old. I had been feeding them Fromm puppy kibble but one of them has not been eating it lately. They also had a bad grooming experience very recently and my picky eater won’t come near his food bowl! At Alll!!! I have to hand feed him. He will eat out of my hand. But still being very picky over the food. I made them ground Turkey with brown rice and sweet potatoes last night and he did eat most of that, but spit out the sweet potatoes. I think they were too chunky as mentioned. I have the Just Food For Dogs nutrient and some Omega 3 on the way (should get those tomorrow) and will add those + some chicken livers to the mix. Any advise is appreciated!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
I would love the recipe you feed your two Havanese! I have two as well and they are 10 months old. I had been feeding them Fromm puppy kibble but one of them has not been eating it lately. They also had a bad grooming experience very recently and my picky eater won’t come near his food bowl! At Alll!!! I have to hand feed him. He will eat out of my hand. But still being very picky over the food. I made them ground Turkey with brown rice and sweet potatoes last night and he did eat most of that, but spit out the sweet potatoes. I think they were too chunky as mentioned. I have the Just Food For Dogs nutrient and some Omega 3 on the way (should get those tomorrow) and will add those + some chicken livers to the mix. Any advise is appreciated!
It looks like JustFoodForDogs has some balanced homemade recipes out there where you use their nutrient and omega three products and add your own meat and vegetables. Supposedly these meet AAFCO requirements. I am not familiar with this at all, however they say these recipes are balanced as long as the nutrient and omega three supplements are used correctly and the recipes are followed. This may make more sense than just getting random recipes off the internet from other people and trying to make it work by adding supplements that may or may not go with the other ingredients in the recipe.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,473 Posts
Also, I am all for feeding a better food tan kibble, but I am NOT for changing up food as a way for solving "picky eaters".

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
Also, I am all for feeding a better food tan kibble, but I am NOT for changing up food as a way for solving "picky eaters".
I agree. And I am all for homemade diets as long as people aren’t “winging it”, especially with young growing dogs.

It is unfortunate that more people aren’t willing try a raw diet since it is much easier to be in the ball park nutrition wise as long as basic guidelines are followed with regard to bone, meat and organs. With a cooked diet, there is more of a danger of being off, especially with regard to calcium since cooked bones cannot be fed. Organs are often left out too. Proper supplementation becomes critical.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree. And I am all for homemade diets as long as people aren’t “winging it”, especially with young growing dogs.

It is unfortunate that more people aren’t willing try a raw diet since it is much easier to be in the ball park nutrition wise as long as basic guidelines are followed with regard to bone, meat and organs. With a cooked diet, there is more of a danger of being off, especially with regard to calcium since cooked bones cannot be fed. Organs are often left out too. Proper supplementation becomes critical.
I’ve been considering a raw diet for Toffee for a while now. I’ve researched the nutritional value of quite a few produced here in the UK and they seem well balanced. Bella and Duke seems a good one and I know Go with the Flo feeds Flo Natural Instinct, also a really good one. Freezer space is needed, so I’m gradually reducing so I've got a draw free 😁

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
I’ve been considering a raw diet for Toffee for a while now. I’ve researched the nutritional value of quite a few produced here in the UK and they seem well balanced. Bella and Duke seems a good one and I know Go with the Flo feeds Flo Natural Instinct, also a really good one. Freezer space is needed, so I’m gradually reducing so I've got a draw free 😁
I started with commercial raw 12 years ago. Looks like there are more options nowadays. I eventually decided to make my own but there is nothing wrong with sticking with a good commercial raw food. I just wanted to have more control over ingredients and use some of the meat we raise.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts