Havanese Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow - never thought I'd have this problem. My pup is 14 weeks old and I can't get a harness on him - at all. He freaks out, runs, and hides under the couch. He's so wiggly, I can't even hold him still. I've introduced the harness to him the past couple of days, used treats, had him smell it, step in it, touch it. I guess it's urgent for me because he's pulling like crazy on his leash and I'm worried it might damage his throat. I'm going to puppy school and we are practicing walking the right way, but I live in an apt. and as soon as he steps into the hall he wants to run down it to see people. So he pulls and pulls - but only in the halls. When on an actual short walk, he's great. I've only ever had one dog before - a Havanese - and never had this issue. My little guy just won't have it. Any suggestions?

·
Metrowest, MA
31,792 Posts
I would carry him in the hall, and ask the person who runs your puppy class if she can give you a one on one lesson to help with this. There are a lot of things that could be contributing, from harness type and fit to the actual process. But I think it could be sorted out SO much quicker in person!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. You are always so wise. That's a good point, I'll contact my trainer to ask for help. He just started this wiggling like crazy recently - so much that I can't carry him at all. The wiggling is unreal and I find it dangerous - I fear hurting him. I used to be able to control it by keeping my fingers under his color and holding him with the other arm but not anymore. My trainer actually tried to hold him a few weeks ago and he squirmed like crazy with her, too. But she would definitely know what to do. I can't figure it out - I have always been so gentle with him. He just loves greeting people so the run at full tilt is towards the foyer where someone is usually sitting there. I'll contact my trainer. Other than that, he's fantastic. He's potty trained, shakes a paw, knows the command 'sit' and is amazing. But wow - never had this issue before. Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It was always a battle to put a step in harness on worf. He was so weird about that little thing that he always knew where it was in the house and was constantly attempting to steal it and chew on it. I got him a different harness with 3 clips that he tollerates much better.

PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness, [Release at Neck] Reflective Adjustable No Choke Pet Vest with Front & Back 2 Leash Attachments, Soft Control Training Handle for Small Medium Large Dogs(Mint Blue,XS) https://a.co/d/eouLrUD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awwww... thank you so much for the info. I looked up that harness - thanks for the link. You made me laugh when you said your dog was looking for the harness to steal it and chew it. LOL. I was shocked at how strong my little 14 week old pup is. He was determined that no way was he putting on that harness and I watched tons of videos about presenting it to him with treats. Sheesh. But I have an appt. with my trainer tomorrow for help. I'm hoping she can help me my wee little tough cookie. LOL. Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It was always a battle to put a step in harness on worf. He was so weird about that little thing that he always knew where it was in the house and was constantly attempting to steal it and chew on it. I got him a different harness with 3 clips that he tollerates much better.

PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness, [Release at Neck] Reflective Adjustable No Choke Pet Vest with Front & Back 2 Leash Attachments, Soft Control Training Handle for Small Medium Large Dogs(Mint Blue,XS) https://a.co/d/eouLrUD
That’s the same harness I have for Maggie. I don’t use it often as it will mat her hair. But she goes into it willingly when we have to have her on leash.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone. I met with our trainer and she helped a lot. I should have thought of that in the first place. My pup's a wiggler and she showed me ways to help fix that. I've only had one dog before and he never did this, so it was new to me and I was puzzled by it. I was also surprised at how strong my pup is at only 14 weeks old. I take classes with her - with 3 other pups - but I might have a few privates with her. I downsized and live now in an apt. building and am surrounded with people and dogs. I find it hard controlling the wee guy and navigating in and out of the building - just until he figures it all out and is much better at walking with me. In time, it will all work out but for now it's a bit crazy getting him in and out for potty breaks. I use the potty patch as a secondary tool - which works well - but now he's able to hold it longer and saves it all for our treks outside. Thanks everyone. What a helpful bunch. :)

·
Metrowest, MA
31,792 Posts
Awesome! It is amazing how much a little one-on-one help, when the trainer can actually SEE what’s going on, can help! 💕

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome! It is amazing how much a little one-on-one help, when the trainer can actually SEE what’s going on, can help! 💕
Yes, some one on one with the trainer helped a lot. Thanks for suggesting it. Some little tweaks fixed the problem. My little guy is so eager to learn. He's doing great with recalls. Because I live in an apt., I've been going to the local plaza at 5am to practice recalls with him. I put him on a long line and the whole parking lot is empty so I do lots of recalls with him. It's working well. We even impressed the trainer. LOL. Thanks a lot.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,792 Posts
Good for you! It sounds like you are off to a great start! 💕

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow - never thought I'd have this problem. My pup is 14 weeks old and I can't get a harness on him - at all. He freaks out, runs, and hides under the couch. He's so wiggly, I can't even hold him still. I've introduced the harness to him the past couple of days, used treats, had him smell it, step in it, touch it. I guess it's urgent for me because he's pulling like crazy on his leash and I'm worried it might damage his throat. I'm going to puppy school and we are practicing walking the right way, but I live in an apt. and as soon as he steps into the hall he wants to run down it to see people. So he pulls and pulls - but only in the halls. When on an actual short walk, he's great. I've only ever had one dog before - a Havanese - and never had this issue. My little guy just won't have it. Any suggestions?
Consider using a halter rather than a harness. I switched after trying several harnesses, Reagan did not like the 'dressing' process and it caused mats under his arm pits. The halter is easier to put on and Reagan no longer pulls on the leash.

Reagan's Mom

·
Metrowest, MA
31,792 Posts
Consider using a halter rather than a harness. I switched after trying several harnesses, Reagan did not like the 'dressing' process and it caused mats under his arm pits. The halter is easier to put on and Reagan no longer pulls on the leash.

Reagan's Mom
Not sure what you mean by a halter? A head halter? I know they use these on big dogs. I have never seen one used on a Havanese or any other small breed dog…

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure what you mean by a halter? A head halter? I know they use these on big dogs. I have never seen one used on a Havanese or any other small breed dog…
It is called "Gentle Leader" attached two pictures, one with the halter at Reagan's feet, ready to place the adjustable loop over his nose. The clasp then goes around the back of his neck. The second picture shows the halter in place. It has padding on the part that goes over the nose, Reagan is wearing size small. Hope this helps.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Shih tzu Companion dog
Hair Head Dog Dog breed Carnivore

·
Metrowest, MA
31,792 Posts
Yes, I know what Gentle Leaders and Haltis are, I have just never heard of anyone using them on a Havanese. Glad to hear that your guy accepts it so well!

·
Registered
861 Posts
One thing that makes putting on a harness easier is if you mark the left and right sides of the harness. I had never used a harness til Shadow. It was a a struggle til I marked the inside with bright red marker for the right side. Now he stands in front of me while I sit in the kitchen chair. I put the harness on the floor and tell him to give me his right foot, then the left and we snuggle the beast in.
Quick and easy and it saves my old back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It may be late but I have always trained dressage horses and had mastiffs before I found these cuties
I believe there are some simple exercises you can do every day that build trust and respect
Calmly sit behind your puppy and gently and slowly(when training horses it is a lot of calm breathing in your part) place your hands along the sides of your dogs cheeks very slowly kinda zen move his head a bit to the right and back to center using the least amount of pressure calmly praise using few words. Your body actions will show him that you are pleased. Some dogs get overstimulated with praise
Anyway move it just a bit to other side. Maybe only 10 degrees to start repeating dog is calm move head gently till nose is pointing up by placing hand gently infer chin then have him point nose down repeat. Increase the movements at your comfortable pace until dog is moving head completely to each side and up and down
I believe this accomplishes 2 things he will realize that he trusts you being in control (very gently) and it also is good getting puppies used to have their mouth looked into feet picked up while u tap gently on nails - which u add at some point depending on progress slow careful progress is better than hurried
The dog will give over to you what you ask
It can’t be rushed and must be done in a quiet moment for both of you
It has always worked for me
I can ask my dog to do something he has not done before and he knows I am trusted and to be blunt the one who is lovingly in charge
Just 2 days ago I had to crate my 11 month old for the first time. He had expen as a pup
He went straight and happily into the crate and slept all night without a peep
I think using these techniques can be really helpful and body language is really important

1 - 16 of 16 Posts