Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to forum. Have a puppy, Paisley, that is 11 weeks old. Soon after we got her she developed a cough. The vet put her on an antibiotic but it grew progressively worse. Throughout she has had energy and decent appetite. She is perky and sassy! After two weeks the vet didn't like that it wasn't clearing and has her on a 5 day shot protocol and a stronger oral antibiotic. After 3 days of shots she is still coughing up a lot of phlegm and coughs much of the night. During the day she doesn't cough as much. She is about 2.5 lbs but I can see her body growing and changing. I've never had a small dog before so I am not sure how they tend to deal with illness. Can anyone give me an idea how long I should expect her to cough? And would it still be contagious? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
What did he think it was? Rosie had kennel cough in March. Same thing your vet did, after two weeks he gave her two shots and then a steroid. It took her about a month to get better. But she ran fever and you could tell that she was sick. Hopefully, your little one has some kind of allergy if she is eating and growing. I guess it boils down to--Do trust your Vet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet is calling it kennel cough or just basic "new environment" sensitivities which could have suppressed the immune system. The first two weeks she was eating her food with vigor. Now, not so much. She is drinking well but no longer prefers the food I have been feeding her all along. It is now sitting on my counter as I have offered it to her 3 times this morning all ready. She actually prefers the hard kibble of my Golden!
She seems totally energetic this morning although last night and today she started going through this really hyper stage.Nipping at heels and feet. Wondering if she is having a reaction to all the antibiotics? It seems like an awful lot of meds.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I was very worried about Rosie. He also put her on another oral antibotic after the first two weeks. If she tried to run, she would lose her breath. I spoiled her tremendously during that period. Actually though she gained weight during that month. The steroids uped her appetite but made her hyper also.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,718 Posts
The vet is calling it kennel cough or just basic "new environment" sensitivities which could have suppressed the immune system. The first two weeks she was eating her food with vigor. Now, not so much. She is drinking well but no longer prefers the food I have been feeding her all along. It is now sitting on my counter as I have offered it to her 3 times this morning all ready. She actually prefers the hard kibble of my Golden!
She seems totally energetic this morning although last night and today she started going through this really hyper stage.Nipping at heels and feet. Wondering if she is having a reaction to all the antibiotics? It seems like an awful lot of meds.
Well, the part about wanting someone else's food more than her own is typical Hav. (and maybe typical dog!<g>) My Kodi would much prefer the cat food, and the cat would prefer to eat his dog food! We have to separate them for feeding so everyone get's what they are supposed to.

May I ask where you got your puppy? Have you talked to the breeder about this?

The good thing is that she's probably not THAT sick if she's still so energetic. While I guess it's a possibility that the meds are making her hyper, 11 week old puppies can be VERY "busy". Every time she nips, say "OWWW!!!" in a high pitched, loud voice, then put her in time out for a few minutes. That's what another dog would do, and they usually catch on pretty quickly that if they want to play with you, they need to play gently.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,718 Posts
BTW, she's absolutely adorable. I don't know if you know the rules around here, but the rule is, that if you're going to post about your cute puppy, you need to show us more PICTURES!!!:wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
went in for fourth shot today. will actually see the vet tomorrow when she does the fifth shot. Although this is a new vet, I have been very impressed with their availability and attentiveness to her. Definitely not "passive" vets. have no reason to not trust them yet. My neighbor is also a Medvet (crisis vet) so I could get her opinion if needed.
Paisley was adopted from Petland. I know the ire that can raise here.....(ducking.....) but I had intended to talk to more breeders in the area or central area but I will admit, I really like seeing the pups before I commit. We don't have any breeders very close by. Our local Petland rarely ever gets Havanese in their stock. I have never seen one before and they told me she was maybe 1 of 3 they have had all year. i have never purchased from a store before and wasn't planning on it this time but when I saw her it was that "shoot, this is my dog!" moment. As you can see from one picture I have posted, she looks just like my golden. In fact, a friend on facebook commented on her picture and congratulated me for getting another golden!
I have not figured out how to post other pics yet? Quick tutorial??

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know if this is typical or helps but I know whenever Gizzy is feeling ill or sick to her stomach she gets nippy and runs around the room over and over.

She did this the day she got the UTI and the day she ate too much of a new bone treat that made her stomach sick. It stopped for me the next day.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,718 Posts
went in for fourth shot today. will actually see the vet tomorrow when she does the fifth shot. Although this is a new vet, I have been very impressed with their availability and attentiveness to her. Definitely not "passive" vets. have no reason to not trust them yet. My neighbor is also a Medvet (crisis vet) so I could get her opinion if needed.
Paisley was adopted from Petland. I know the ire that can raise here.....(ducking.....) but I had intended to talk to more breeders in the area or central area but I will admit, I really like seeing the pups before I commit. We don't have any breeders very close by. Our local Petland rarely ever gets Havanese in their stock. I have never seen one before and they told me she was maybe 1 of 3 they have had all year. i have never purchased from a store before and wasn't planning on it this time but when I saw her it was that "shoot, this is my dog!" moment. As you can see from one picture I have posted, she looks just like my golden. In fact, a friend on facebook commented on her picture and congratulated me for getting another golden!
I have not figured out how to post other pics yet? Quick tutorial??
Well, sounds like you already know the problems with pet store/puppy mill pups, so we won't re-hash that. And, unfortunately, you (and she) are living with one of the consequences... a sick puppy. I hope Petland is at least helping you with the expense of treating her.

In any case, she is very cute, and I'm sure you will love her. ...AND we still need :photo:. If you scroll down under the window where you type in the message you want to send, you'll see "additional options". Under that is "manage attachments". Just follow the directions, and you can attach up to 5 photos to any one post. I believe the photos can't be larger than 800x800, so you may need to resize before submitting.

If you have photo software you like to use, most any program can do this. If not, there is help for resizing photos on the forum home page. Good luck, and let us see that cute baby!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Paisley was adopted from Petland.
You will not need to duck from me--but I urge you to please, please, please, please take Paisley ASAP to another vet in your area. NOT affiliated with Petland.

I have tons of information about Petland and their affiliated vets, etc, and what you can do AFTER Paisley is well. But, right now, the health of that sweet baby is all you need to do.

After she is well, let me know and I can forward you all the information about how to get paid for the healthcare, the places you need to provide this information to, etc.

Many good thoughts for Paisley.

·
Registered
26 Posts
One more thing--in your contract from Petland, you have a lot of information about innoculations and medicines given to your dog AT Petland and before--at the broker, probably Hunte Corp. Make sure to take that to your new vet, not affiliated with Petland. Also, please make sure that you get all your vet records for the new vet and INFORM THE PETLAND-ASSOCIATED VET NOT TO RELEASE ANY INFORMATION to Petland.

The vaccine records will be on two sheets from Petland and the Daily Record is another sheet where the Petland employees write in weight, appetite, health and all the health info on it. That second sheet will be of utmost importance.

Kennel cough is very serious and lots of dogs from Petland get it and they can die quickly. I really urge you to tun to another vet immediately, for Paisley's sake.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
You will not need to duck from me--but I urge you to please, please, please, please take Paisley ASAP to another vet in your area. NOT affiliated with Petland.

I have tons of information about Petland and their affiliated vets, etc, and what you can do AFTER Paisley is well. But, right now, the health of that sweet baby is all you need to do.

After she is well, let me know and I can forward you all the information about how to get paid for the healthcare, the places you need to provide this information to, etc.

Many good thoughts for Paisley.
Great advice. I have heard some nightmare stories about petland and their vets not treating the dogs appropriately because it would cost too much and to be frank it is cheaper to replace the puppy. If she were my dog I would take her to a vet not associated with that pet store as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Petland has actually been great about covering everything. They would even have covered the costs of treating my other dog had he become sick.
She seems to check out great in every other area. My golden came from a breeder and was not as healthy as he had giardia and was covered in vomit /feces from the drive to meet me. I used the link someone listed in one of the threads to see what conditions possibly were at kennel where pup was whelped. No citations or bad conditions were noted. She was whelped in MO. I'm sure the flight or transportation to OH was stressful on a 1+ pound dog, too.
Anyhoo, the cough is getting better and she has been a playful and smart pup today. Learned to do "down" as a command. We have already done "come", "sit", "bano" (potty).

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great advice. I have heard some nightmare stories about petland and their vets not treating the dogs appropriately because it would cost too much and to be frank it is cheaper to replace the puppy. If she were my dog I would take her to a vet not associated with that pet store as well.
As soon as humanly possible.

Too many Petland dogs come with Kennel Cough from the puppy mills from which they were taken by brokers such as Hunte Corp, propped up by tons of meds by Hunte and then by Petland and crash when they get taken to a home. Unfortunately, it is a very, very dangerous disease.

Please read/watch:

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/puppy_mills/timelines/petland_investigation.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more thing--in your contract from Petland, you have a lot of information about innoculations and medicines given to your dog AT Petland and before--at the broker, probably Hunte Corp. Make sure to take that to your new vet, not affiliated with Petland. Also, please make sure that you get all your vet records for the new vet and INFORM THE PETLAND-ASSOCIATED VET NOT TO RELEASE ANY INFORMATION to Petland.

The vaccine records will be on two sheets from Petland and the Daily Record is another sheet where the Petland employees write in weight, appetite, health and all the health info on it. That second sheet will be of utmost importance.

Kennel cough is very serious and lots of dogs from Petland get it and they can die quickly. I really urge you to tun to another vet immediately, for Paisley's sake.
I just went through the packet from Petland. I only have the "preview sheet" which has her vaccinations listed and dates given. Suppliers reference number and Breeder name. I do not know the broker. I do not seem, to have the second sheet you mentioned. When I saw her at the store she had just been delivered the day before on a Saturday. A lot of her info wasn't in the computer but they did have her AKC print out with vaccination records. She had not been vaccinated for bordatella. Obviously, I have not vaccinated her again since bringing her home. I have a child with Autism so I am very concerned about vaccinations anyway. Her stool was clean at first visit, too. I found it interesting that while I was purchasing the pup and working through contract details the girl working with me said that the vet they work with is very good but can be pricey. I didn't feel pushed to use them. They are right beside the pet store so I'm sure that had something to do with their business association.
Also, wondering why it is that I shouldn't have petland's vet send medical records off to HQ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are there any actual reputable breeders of Hav in MO?

If the puppy came from Petland via Hunte from MO, I would bet my bottom dollar that the puppy came from a puppy mill.

Unfortunately, the mills get cited and change names and post office boxes as quickly as we change clothes, and they are difficult to pin down.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of personal and professional experience with Petland and Hunte and the affiliated vets who work with/for Petland.

I do not blame you for buying from Petland, but I do urge you to change vets and soon as possible and make sure that the treatment course she is on is the best. TOO much medication (practiced by Hunte and Petland all the time) can be as bad as none or too little.

Truly, I am not being judgemental in the least. I am just concerned for you and for Paisley and hope for a good outcome.

Just want to stress how you must ask the Petland-affiliated vet NOT to share Paisley's treatment record with Petland or any of their agents/attys.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I am sorry that your puppy is sick. I really wish that Petland would close everywhere. We had one and they got closed down. I would definalty take her to another vet as soon as you can. She is a real cutie. Hope she gets better soon!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How can I find out if Hunte is the broker? Can it be tracked down? The vet I am seeing is "Healthy Pets". I don't know anything about them either. I think I will ask my neighbor what she thinks about the protocol. Certainly, I will say something to the vet tomorrow when I see her. I actually was impressed that she was so proactive toward Paisley.
How would you suggest I approach the vet about now passing on files?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just went through the packet from Petland. I only have the "preview sheet" which has her vaccinations listed and dates given. Suppliers reference number and Breeder name. I do not know the broker. I do not seem, to have the second sheet you mentioned.

Also, wondering why it is that I shouldn't have petland's vet send medical records off to HQ?
In answer to your second question, they work FOR/WITH Petland and do not have your best interest at heart. It is unethical to do so, but they do.

The brokers Petland uses are standard. They usually use Hunte. They are large, national dog brokers and have a standing facility in MO to receive and treat/prop up dogs with meds and then ship on trucks to Petlands across the country.

The sheet I am talking about is called "The Daily Health Record."

It has hand-written notes with date, day, when the puppy received nutristat, the stool info, weight, temp, bath, when they get Strongid, Clavamox, Benadryl, Dermalone, Vetro/Eye Ointent and Nebulizer. The Petland employess fill it out every day.

You should have Puppy Warranty Sheet--there is not much info there other than the warranty.

There is a Preview Sheet. That has the vaccines as well as all the wormers and treatments the pup recvd at the brokers and at Petland. Look for Bronchicine, Albon, Pancur, Nutrient Gel, etc.

There is a check-in sheet with the broker's name, name of place where pup was born and what meds were given at the puppy mill/breeder. Again, look for Puppy Aid, Albon, Panacur and Cronchicine and other stuff--that will give you an accurate look at the puppy's health at time Petland recvd the dog.

There is a check-in record at bottom left of Check-In sheet which is filled by the Petland-associated vet. They are notorious for just leaving out pertinent info on this. For instance, the Bichon we rescued from the Petland window where he'd been for 6 months had luxated patellas--grade 3 in one knee and grade 4 in the other but the vet says his knees are fine.

You should also have a broker sheet with the broker's name across the top and bottom--letterhead. It gives the USDA-number for that dog as well as states what wormers the puppy mill/breeder gave puppy and the meds given to the puppy while at the Broker, You will probably have one that says HUNTE CORP.

They give Vanguard Plus 5 to their dogs as well, which is CONTRAindicated for Havs.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Why is she getting so many shots? She's on an oral antibiotic and getting (?) shots too?

Is her kennel cough viral or bacterial? Obviously viral isn't going to be helped by any antibiotics.

Yes, kennel cough is highly contagious, which is why so many pet store puppies have it. You'll have to keep her confined (isolated from other dogs) until she's over it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts