Havanese Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Watson born 4/22/2022 got very car sick going to and from his first session at puppy class.
We had a 11 mile trek to class. He drooled the way there and vomited on the way home.

I waited some time after he ate before we left and he had relieved himself before leaving.

Puppy class is a constant treats so he had a lot of treats before the trek home.

Now I am wondering if we can continue puppy school?

He did great in class though. He was well behaved and seemed to follow instructions pretty well and he loved playing with the other dogs.

Because of the local vet shortage I cannot get to see his vet until October and he already has an appointment.

Grateful for any advice.

· Registered
999 Posts
Read the post below "Car Training", it is full of good advice. He probably just needs more exposure to the car slowly. He might be anxious and you could try Adaptil spray.
His little belly may not be used to so many treats. Do you bring the treats or do they supply them?

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read the post below "Car Training", it is full of good advice. He probably just needs more exposure to the car slowly. He might be anxious and you could try Adaptil spray.
His little belly may not be used to so many treats. Do you bring the treats or do they supply them?
Appreciate your reply.
I bring the treats but the instructors keep repeating give them another treat. So the class involves a lot of treats for positive reinforcement.
Since he drooled the entire way there it is obviously motion sickness and with a fuller belly on the way home it it him harder.

I have been trying to take him in the car for very short trips around the neighborhood. He was ok with very short trips but anything over 4 miles seems too much for him right now.
I tried a dog car bucket seat and that was no help at all. I am now moving to a kennel cab hard case to see if he finds that more secure.

· Registered
999 Posts
Consider yourself lucky if he can go 4 miles!
The drooling can be him feeling anxious, I'd try Adaptil and maybe ginger snaps for the naseau. He is still young, keep up with short trips or even sitting in the car and not moving to build his confidence.
Could you ask the trainers to limit his treats?
I have an extreme version hav but he is over 5yrs. He doesn't drool or seem anxious but after 2 miles, his eyes start to glaze over and he looks sick. Once the car stops, he is sick. Actually he has improved because initially he'd be sick once we drove a mile or 2. I'm going to try the ginger next as nothing else has really helped.

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
I would not limit treats in training... That would be counter productive. But you can cut your treats into TEENY TINY pieces. They do not need to be large!

And if it's still too much, it would be better to sit out and watch part of the class with him in your lap if you think he's getting too full rather than limiting cookies for good work! Just explain to the instructor why, and ask which exercises she thinks are most important for you to work on, and which would be good ones for you to skip and work on at home! You can use your phone to video what you are supposed to be doing while you are sitting out, say you will remember EXACTLY what you need to do when you try it at home!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

· Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Get some over the counter Meclazine, and give him about a 1/4 tablet a couple of hours before your next trip. It doesn't make them drowsy, but will fight nausea. If anxiety doesn't get to him from his last trip, it should work.

Suspension recoil at the last stop is usually what gets them at the end. Stop smoothly, and slowly.

· Button's Mom
40 Posts
Our Button was ALWAYS sick throughout his 13.5 years. He would drool and his little eyes would glaze over.
We did everything that we knew for him but ultimately he would need a Cerenia injection to be able to travel and then he was fine. It was so hard to do this to him so they ended up staying at home a lot. The Cerenia injections do work. The Cerenia pills were no good as he would still be sick and that was just wasting money.
I had never heard of the Adaptil spray so maybe that will help. Button would not eat the ginger snaps.

I am hoping that your furbaby is able to adjust.

· Registered
1 Posts
My Watson born 4/22/2022 got very car sick going to and from his first session at puppy class.
We had a 11 mile trek to class. He drooled the way there and vomited on the way home.

I waited some time after he ate before we left and he had relieved himself before leaving.

Puppy class is a constant treats so he had a lot of treats before the trek home.

Now I am wondering if we can continue puppy school?

He did great in class though. He was well behaved and seemed to follow instructions pretty well and he loved playing with the other dogs.

Because of the local vet shortage I cannot get to see his vet until October and he already has an appointment.

Grateful for any advice.
Car sickness can sometimes happen when your mind can’t make sense of the motion. At least it does for me when I’m looking down or reading while riding. My little Teddy became car sick on his first few drives, so I had someone hold him so that he looks out the front or passenger side windows during drives. I know it sounds silly, but it worked.

Attachments

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Car sickness can sometimes happen when your mind can’t make sense of the motion. At least it does for me when I’m looking down or reading while riding. My little Teddy became car sick on his first few drives, so I had someone hold him so that he looks out the front or passenger side windows during drives. I know it sounds silly, but it worked.
This is true, but it's also not safe. For the person or the dog. So I would only use it as a temporary step toward getting the dog to a better place in his ability to handle car-riding.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
If
This is true, but it's also not safe. For the person or the dog. So I would only use it as a temporary step toward getting the dog to a better place in his ability to handle car-riding.
If you're sure that it helps (seeing out the window) you could look at elevating a crate so that they're still safe but also able to see out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts