Havanese Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohhh, I hate to keep pestering about this. But I really would love some feedback. I know it is silly because we never intended on showing him- but I do wish Cash's tail would look more like a Havanese's. When he is running it, it sort of curls up a bit - more out straight and up ---but when he is just standing it just hangs down, curling a bit at the end. He looks more like a miniature lowland sheepdog than a HAV. He is not at all fearful or timid- so I don't think that it is sign of that. Any of you have puppies with straighter tails that ended up being carried over their backs as they aged? Have any of you heard of training the tail up? I love him dearly, and he is the cutest thing, but I can only imagine how cute he would be trotting around with his tail held high.

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
I will say my Havana was the same way!
Her tail almost stuck out straight from her body, making a slight curve up (like a smile). When she was running/playing it went up a bit higher, but definately not over her back~ I was freaked out! I had never seen anything like it. I did notice as she got older, it started to go more over her back.
I am happy to say, at just over a year old, her tail is perfect now. It hangs over her body right where it should. Someone told me the weight of her adult coat will help bring it up, and she does have a nice full tail so who knows.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, Katie, thanks for this- what a perfect way to describe it straight from her body with a curve like a smile. That is just waht Cash's does. So there is hope! yeah! which one is Havana?

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
Havana is Ahnolds sister!
She is my baby that I kept out of my first litter last year. She is the black one sitting to the left of my daughter in my siggy pic.
We are off to do baseball pictures this morning, but if I get a chance later I will try to look thru last years pictures to see if I have a pic of her tail when she was younger.
I bet Cash's tail will turn out just fine!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kodi's tail goes up high and over his back and looks like a plume. Shelby's tail is very tightly curled over her back. I noticed that her tail is still curled over her back, but is not as tight, it is a little more relaxed. They are always changing. Makes life very interesting.

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Missy...I do remember Valentino's tail not looking just "right" to me when he was little. He's 15 mos now and it looks great...not a "tight" curl but it does curl up over his back.;) Not sure what causes this in some?:confused: I know how you feel though! He was so "perfect" in every other way and then to have a "bum" tail was "bumming" me out!:( Be encouraged, there is hope!:) Vicki

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Missy, it sounds like Cash's tail is similar to what Cooper's tail was like when he was a puppy. I was concerned too, but now at 14 months his tail is just fine, kinda reminds me of Arabian horses;)

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
Izzy's tail is too tightly curved, I think, but I'm not sure. It curls over her back and the white tip lays on her back. I know that my daughter's Hav was a lot straighter, but curls nicely now at 8 months. I think Cash will be just fine...he's too cute not to be!!

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I would up-date the group. Cash's Tail seems to be curling more each day. Now when he is out running in the yard it looks just like it is supposed to. I am hopeful that as he ages more (he's only 6 month) it will curl up more of the time. He's getting his first professional grooming today- he looked so sad when I left him. The poor little guy is getting nuetered next thursday-- I think I will take someone here's suggestion to take him for a loooong walk before and tire him out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts