Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I have a lot of questions. :rolleyes: I noticed all breeders, including mine, seem to name their litters (usually after a theme). I realize that they have to name them because it probably helps with the puppies' development and identification.

Can you rename the puppy when you get home if you want a different name? Does it confuse the puppy? How about the AKC paperwork? I know my breeder won't send in the paperwork until I prove our dog was spayed/neutered.

Most of all, do breeders expect you to keep the same name? Do they get upset? I don't want to offend my breeder because I think she is great.

Any input about this would be great..............

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Rita,
Typically the only name that a breeder doesn't want you to change is their kennel name which would be the first name on the AKC papers. As a breeder, I don't care what people do as far as the call name, but I require that my kennel name be the first name. Sometimes breeders, myself included, will ask the buyer to pick a registered name that goes with a theme.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I would think that you could talk to your breeder about anything. We don't name puppies or use themes. I know most do but it shouldn't matter. Ours are most of the time spoken for soon after they are born, and sexes and colors are sorted out to suit what's on our list (athough sometimes we wait for certain temperments to come out for certain owners) so the owners usually already have names picked out. Dogs learn new names quickly anyway.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
My breeder names hers with theme names (Lily was Miranda as her son had just graduated from Law School) (Lexi was Tabitha as she was born close to Halloween) (and Logan was Heath, as he was born day before Halloween & she named them all candies). Once I knew I wanted the pup & sent my deposit in, I told her what I wanted to name the dog and she started calling them by my name. When I got them at 8 weeks, they pretty much knew their (home) names. My friend renamed hers after getting her home, and she took to it fine. They are pretty adaptable.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your input on name changing. I didn't talk to me breeder yet about names (I do talk to her weekly through email about other things). Actually I think she would be cool about changing the name because on her website she shows dogs and their homes and she will note the name changed. If she wasn't cool with that, I think she wouldn't even post it.

Plus, I didn't talk to her about changing the name because I liked the names she picked. Well, not all but there is a little crazy spiritual story behind the names she picked and at this point I think it is a sign. I wouldn't think about changing it. I will keep you in suspense and then tell you the story behind it after I get him..........:p Yes I say he because that is what she is leaning towards. She said he has the perfect disposition for a therapy dog.............

Thanks again everyone. I am so glad I found this website before I got my Hav.:) :)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
"...there is a little crazy spiritual story behind the names she picked and at this point I think it is a sign. I wouldn't think about changing it. I will keep you in suspense and then tell you the story behind it after I get him.......... "

*** Well now! Aren't you being a naughty girl, teasing us like that!!

When IS he coming home to you again???? LOL

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
February 24 we are going to meet the puppies. If all goes well, we will pick him up on March 10. This breeder is wonderful. Although I think she might ask for my DNA to prove that I am who I say I am.

Ok. If you noticed my last few posts - I am just getting silly. It is time for me to say good night..........

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Saturday is the day we go visit the puppy and the breeder. Hopefully it doesn't snow. UGH. I do have to ask the breeder if I need to take the 4 x 4 to come out. Our side roads still are not done from the storm we had here on Wednesday. I am sooooooooooooooooo excited I think I can bust! I don't know if I can leave the puppy there for another two weeks. :( I promise to take pictures and then I will let you know his name........ I just like teasing you all. :p

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Rita, that is so exciting! I am so happy for you :) I remember how excited I was - I was practically counting down the hours ;) I look forward to seeing pictures of your new little one :)

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
I changed both of my guys names. Goldie was named Sparkling Bubbles,
(for New Years Eve Litter) and that was too stripperish for me.

Stogie was Dixon Creek, which was cute. But we then changed it to Winston Churchill and he became Stogie for short because he looked like a cigar.

I wouldnt feel bad, its your dog and you are paying a lot of money, Call it whatever you want!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kodi's name was Kodiak. His mom was Alaska, and some of his littermates were Tundra, McKinley, Aurora. We were thinking of naming him Casey, but just shortened it to Kodi. The breeder didn't mind if we changed his name, and I think she really likes it. :)

Shelby's "breeder" didn't name the litter. We started calling her Cassie, but she didn't respond to us. So I liked her father's name, which was Shelby, and started calling her by that name. She likes it. so it stuck. Obviously, Shelby's breeder doesn't care. :(

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
I think you should just call your puppy whatever you and your family would like.After you pay your money,your breeder shouldn't have any say at all what you decide to call your puppy.I think some breeders name their litters for their own selves to keep them straight,and on an AKC form shouldn't matter, as once they are spayed or neutered you can't show them anyway.I would never allow someone else to name a dog I bought.Well,ok.....besides my kids!:)

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
You can name your dog any thing you want the only time you have to use what they have is when you co own.Yoda name was change his name was Whitie He didnt look like a whitie he just looked like a Yoda to me the first time I see a picture Of Yoda that was the name that came to mind from the get go and Im so glad I named him that it fits him just right. :)

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
I also would not worry about the puppy's response to the name change.Quincy was called "sweet boy" till he was 16 weeks from the breeder.He went another week or so,before we could all agree on Quincy.With 5 in our family,getting everyone to agree or accept a name was a challenge.Within a very short time frame Quincy learned his name and that was it!:) :D

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I also would not worry about the puppy's response to the name change.Quincy was called "sweet boy" till he was 16 weeks from the breeder.He went another week or so,before we could all agree on Quincy.With 5 in our family,getting everyone to agree or accept a name was a challenge.Within a very short time frame Quincy learned his name and that was it!:) :D
I know what that's like! lol We are also 5 in the family and it took a while to find a name everyone liked. We had time to think it over before picking Ricky up, but we also wanted to see what he was like - at least a little bit before deciding. Hubby and I liked Ricky Ricardo - no duh! He's Cuban! lol Kids thought that was awful, but one day over bkfst. our oldest (16) thought of Ricky Bobby from the 'Taladega Nights' movie and POOF! All of a sudden they all LOVED the name Ricky !! So long as it was Ricky BOBBY, not RICARDO .... ! LMBO !

We call him both names around here including Rickybaby, Sweetie, Cutie patootie,... well, you get the idea... ;)

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I had an adult male leave my home in December. The new owners changed his name immediately without any problems at all. The old name (Mister Trump) and the new name (Carlito) don't sound anything alike, but he knows both mean "love". :)

These dogs are very adaptable.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
When I got Asta we had the name picked out and they called him that from the beginning .
Cosmo's breeder was very laid back - she told me the aprents names and I saw them on line but the rest was up to me ..
My friend changed her dogs name from Oreo to Tulip .
We just added Ahnold to our household . We found him through Kimberly through this forum . Thank you Kimberly !! We would never change his name . His little tail wags when he hears it . today is his birthday and he is a year old so wish him a Happy Birthday .
Cosmo has a new buddy and he is over the moon !!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Cosmosmom; Congrats on your new baby. Could you spell his name again? Is it Ahnold?
:) Happy Birthday:)

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
You're so welcome, Cosmosmom! I'm so glad for Ahnold, Cosmo and you!

dboudreau, you read it right. It is spelled Ahnold. His registered name is Havtahava Mister Universe. I have had a wee bit of fun naming my dogs after people with strong personalities - Martha, Hillary, Mister Trump, and Ahnold. You can see a couple of photos of Ahnold on my Flickr page, which is listed here: Ahnold on Flickr.

Happy first birthday Ahnold!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts