Havanese Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am trying our Havanese to change to adult food since few weeks since he is turning almost a year old now. We have been using Royal Canin mini junior and so far I tried using three different reasonably good quality products (James wellbeloved, Precept plus etc; chicken kibble since he likes that flavour) and tried combing them slowing increasing the fraction of new food. The problem is that he is not very interested to eat. I really have to beg him to eat. He has no health issues (I checked) and no other pressure. He enjoys the treats and eager to eat them and enjoy walks etc, but not the food.

He will eventually eat it when he becomes extremely hungry (and only half the recommended portion), But I would really like him to eat properly twice a day at fixed times for his health.

I was wondering if any one of you had similar problems, and if so, how did you overcome it? Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot.
Joeynkp.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
well, my hav was never a big eater from the time he was a puppy. i remember the vet told me it's okay if they miss a meal and when they are hungry,, they will eat. perhaps you need to consider a different adult formula. all i know is that you should take 2 weeks to transition her, longer if she skips a meal. if it persists, i'd talk to the vet. my dog is 8 and still there are days where he won't eat for the day.

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
where do you live.? Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
ya, I had a similar problem... come to find out my hav was actually allergic to most of what I was feeding her, so she had a REASON for avoiding her kibble!!
we solved this by getting a nutritional consult with Sabine (www.betterdogcare.com) and I now home cook for Tillie and she NEVER. EVER misses a meal ... it is GONE in 30 seconds! LOL

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
There you go Joey. Tammy is our poster child for dog nutriton. Tillie is the best fed dog here. LOL

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Hi all,

I am trying our Havanese to change to adult food since few weeks since he is turning almost a year old now. We have been using Royal Canin mini junior and so far I tried using three different reasonably good quality products (James wellbeloved, Precept plus etc; chicken kibble since he likes that flavour) and tried combing them slowing increasing the fraction of new food. The problem is that he is not very interested to eat. I really have to beg him to eat. He has no health issues (I checked) and no other pressure. He enjoys the treats and eager to eat them and enjoy walks etc, but not the food.

He will eventually eat it when he becomes extremely hungry (and only half the recommended portion), But I would really like him to eat properly twice a day at fixed times for his health.

I was wondering if any one of you had similar problems, and if so, how did you overcome it? Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot.
Joeynkp.
Mine didn't really like just plan kibble so I would cook up skinless chicken breasts cooked in some water then cut it up and freeze in ice cube trays with the water from the pan. I just defrosted one cube per meal and the two shared it. They loved the juice and chicken. As they got older I haven't had to do that anymore they are satisfied with just the kibble. PS 2 breasts made two ice cub trays and lasted a couple of weeks. :)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
awwww Dave, I'm sure all our babies are fed well, I'm just doing what anyone else would do if in the same situation (allergies) !!! but thank you for the complement! :redface:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,

thanks for the comments. The one thing I didn't check, which TilliesMom pointed to, is if he has allergies to any of the contents. May be I should do that.

BTW, I live in Europe, so may not be reply to your comments immediately because of the time difference.

Thanks,
Joeynkp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts