Havanese Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
There are all sorts of DNA tests, and they have absolutely nothing to do with a CHIC number. A CHIC number means that the dog has taken a list of health tests. It doesn't necessarily mean that all the tests were passed, and doesn't include all the health tests available.

AKC uses DNA for stud dogs who produce over a certain number of litters, and it's just to make sure the parents of the dog are who the papers say they are. There are a number of other DNA tests, but unless you are a breeder, they would be of little use-at least for the time being. There are others in the works, but not available to the public yet.

·
Phoebe and Maxi's Mom
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom. I knew the DNA had nothing to do with CHIC numbers. I was just curious why a breeder would use DNA testing...whether it is considered important. I have a family who asked me because they have been talking to another breeder who said he does not have CHIC numbers for his dogs but does have DNA testing...I think this man breeds A LOT of dogs and maybe that's why--if AKC insists on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts