Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has chocolate havs?Can you please post some pics for me? Also,do they lighten with age? Thanks!
Dot

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
Dusty is a chocolate. She has the lighter eyes and brown pigment on her nose, lips, etc. The chocolate on her is more of a sable as I understand it. It has various shades of brown. On some parts of her the chocolate is all one shade, and in other places, definitely sable. I haven't seen any other pictures of chocolate dogs that look like her so I'd be interested to see more too! There's a couple of photos of her in the gallery. I'll add more, but I posted some on picasa because it's faster. There's the link. In that gallery there's a couple of puppy photos and some more that show the coloring. And one photo for here that seems to show her color pretty well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/atwr35/Dusty?authkey=pGLeiAwC94g

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dajsmom,
I couldn't access the link.But I'll try to get hubby to get it.He's much better than I am at computers.Thanks so much for the reply!:)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was under the impression the chocolates were all chocolate with no white.I guess I was wrong.:rolleyes:
Oh well,how can you not love these dogs anyways!!:)

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
I agree with Reece! She is a gorgeous chocolate! Makes me want one!!:D I thought I wanted another sable but if I could get a chocolate like Dusty I would change my mind!;) Vicki

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
DAJsMom
Dusty is gorgeous!! I read that she was about 10 lbs. Is she still the same wt and how tall is she? Her coat reminds me of Kodi's somewhat. What shampoo/cond do you use? I just sent away for a sample kit from Plush Puppy and I can't wait to try it. Oh, and I love Chocolates, too :D

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I can never get enough of looking at pics of Dusty! She's such a gorgeous girl! You had better keep an eye on her whenever you're around other Hav lovers - I know I'd be trying to sneak in a few hugs and belly rubs if I saw her! :D

I'm off to check that link!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
DAJ'smom - sorry, I don't know your name - I was wondering how Dusty is trimmed around her eyes and face. I really, really love that she has bangs, but that you can see her eyes so beautifully.

Would you mind sharing how she is trimmed or how the groomer, if it isn't you, does that? I am thinking that if you grant me permission to print out a pic or two of Dusty, that I'll have Ricky trimmed similarly to that. I want to see his eyes, but I don't want to deal with tiny prickles of new hair growing in so close to the eyes and possibly irritating them..... know what I mean? AND I still want him to look like a Havanese!

Anyway, I'm curious! Thanks. :)

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Beautiful pictures!! Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful Dusty :) I agree with Marj, i would also love to know what you do to her hair on her face. If you do it personally, what do you do? or if your groomer does it, then what is it you ask for? I would like Oreo's coat to grow out to about that length - is that full length coat? But I love that your Dustly looks like a Hav - I really don't want an groomer to botch Oreo's distinct "look" ;)

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
Thanks for all your compliments about Dusty! I think everyone else's dogs are gorgeous! I think I just really like the looks of havanese. I guess it's a good thing I have one!

I'll try and answer all your questions. Dusty's coat is not full-length yet. She'll be a year old next monday, and her coat grows slowly! I'm not sure I've done it any good learning to groom her, but I think I'm getting better. Her breeder told me that Dusty's mom's adult coat came in slowly, so I'm not suprised, just impatient! It is growing, though, because there's definitely more to brush than there was when we brought her home.

As far as her haircut, I did that myself back in December. If you could see it up close, you'd know it's not a professional job! I just trimmed the hair right above the eyes very short. She has some tear staining and I was trying to help keep the hair out of her eyes. It helped for a while but now that it's growing out it's getting in her eyes again. I also trimmed the hair right between her eyes, and some of the tear stained area. It did make it easier for her to see and for us to see her pretty hazel eyes without changing her look too much. My husband and kids really like it short around her eyes. I like the hair long though, so I'm trying to grow her bangs back out and we'll do more topknots I guess. She doesn't mind the ponytails at all.

Shampoo. Her breeder gave me a supply of shampoo when we got her. It was out of her big bottles, so I don't have the exact information, but she told me it was Petsilk. I looked on their website and there are several varieties. I'm not sure but I think it's the cleanse shampoo and moisturizing conditioner. I really like the smell! I've only had her professionally groomed once, a couple of weeks ago. I was terrified to take her. I was afraid she'd come back shaved or trimmed like a poodle, especially after some of the grooming nightmare stories posted here! But none of that happened. She came back looking very fluffy and smelling very strongly perfumey! Fortunately that smell faded fast. I think they might have trimmed the hair on her forehead a tiny bit, right above the eyebrows I gave her, but it's subtle and I can't tell if it's my imagination or not.

Marj, my name is Joelle, and yes, you can print a picture to show the groomer!

I wish I knew some other hav lovers so we could try and steal each other's dogs! I'm sure there are some in Arizona in our area but I haven't met any other than her breeder who lives a couple of hours away! Dusty's best dog friends are two poodles-cute, but not havanese...

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
I missed a question! Dusty still weighs about 10 pounds I think and she's about 10-1/2 inches tall, using my ruler to measure! She's got long legs.

We didn't set out to get a chocolate dog. We were really hoping for a sable, but weren't set on any particular color, but when her breeder contacted us and told us Dusty was available and we saw photos and met her, we were in love! And we still got our sable, just chocolate! My kids say she looks like an ice cream sundae. I find havanese colors fascinating. I'm amazed at the variations. Some of the dogs on this forum have amazing coloring. It adds to the fun!

·
Judy E.
143 Posts
My Titan is a Chocolate. He is now nine month's old and is showing some color changes down the center of his back. Some white showing thru. He does have white on his chest and chin.

·
Kubrick & Hitchcock's Mom
7,774 Posts
Joe, chocolate means that the nose and eye rims are liver colored and not black. That's all. Even if the dog is all white, he is considered chocolate if the nose is liver colored.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and when I found out about getting a "chocolate" I was totally under the impression that is was all about color.
Duncan is still dark brown,but he is getting bits and pieces of white hair.
I wonder how he'll change.
Regardless,he has become the new love of my life and the son I never had,LOL!!!

·
Brush Anyone??
983 Posts
I love all the dogs [Dusty is on my 'to steal' list. LOL]....gotta say Mugsy is so cool looking...have you posted bigger pics?? I'd love to see more of the coloring. Awesome!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts