Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about ordering a woodpin brush and was wondering what size do others like the best? Small or large oval? Oblong?

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering a woodpin brush and was wondering what size do others like the best? Small or large oval? Oblong?
I have the regular oval and the small oblong. I like the oval best for brushing Kodi out while I'm drying him. I keep the small oblong in my training bag for when we are at shows. I guess it depends on how you will use the brush! :)

·
Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
Senora Karen, what grooming tools do you have for Kodi? I wanna look as good as Kodi. Kodi is my action figure super-hero!

besos, Ricky Ricardo

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Senora Karen, what grooming tools do you have for Kodi? I wanna look as good as Kodi. Kodi is my action figure super-hero!

besos, Ricky Ricardo
I have WAY too many, Ricky! Many more than we need. (many bought THINKING I'de use them and didn't)

My go-to tools are my CC Buttercombs (large and face) CC wood pin brush and LePooches yellow (soft) dematter. THis last is obscenely expensive, but works better than ANYTHING else. Then, of course, tooth brush and nail clippers, oh, and curved scissors for trimming feet, small cordless clippers for between pads and sani, and my Kool Pup dryer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the regular oval and the small oblong. I like the oval best for brushing Kodi out while I'm drying him. I keep the small oblong in my training bag for when we are at shows. I guess it depends on how you will use the brush! :)
I've never had a dog that requires extensive grooming. I have a Papillon and he really is a wash and wear dog and while he can mat, he doesn't if I comb his hair once or twice a week for the most part except maybe more frequently behind the ears. I just use a swivel tooth comb that I've had forever.

I don't show dogs so really it will just be for at home use. My pup I'm picking up tomorrow will be a companion. I really love the long coats I've seen here, on the FB page and at my breeder's so I'm going to try to keep it long as it grows if I can handle the grooming requirements.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You're definitely better off buying a few expensive grooming tools with a hav. I have the CC buttercomb, CC face and feet, and the CC wooden pin brush (my hav's favorite). I want to buy a Les Pooch but there appears to be something going on with their availability. If I get a chance to attend I show I will look there. I have never been to a dog show as an adult (very funny considering I have a hav from a show heritage!) but I have heard in addition to looking at the dogs its a good place to pick up dog supplies.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
I've never had a dog that requires extensive grooming. I have a Papillon and he really is a wash and wear dog and while he can mat, he doesn't if I comb his hair once or twice a week for the most part except maybe more frequently behind the ears. I just use a swivel tooth comb that I've had forever.

I don't show dogs so really it will just be for at home use. My pup I'm picking up tomorrow will be a companion. I really love the long coats I've seen here, on the FB page and at my breeder's so I'm going to try to keep it long as it grows if I can handle the grooming requirements.
If you want to maintain a long coat, you are going to have to get used to the idea of more grooming and more tools. :) Otherwise, you really need to consider a puppy cut. After a Havanese is FULLY adult (like past 2 or 3) as long as they don't have a curly coat, they get easier to groom and can go more days between grooming. How long depends on the coat and your idea of what you're willing to live with. Vanishingly few can get by without a FULL, to the skin, grooming once a week or so. Most need it at least every few day, some really need to be combed out completely daily. This is not a low maintenance breed. :)

However, by far, the hardest part is from 9 or 10 months through about 18 months. Then you may be tearing your OWN hair out. After that, it tapers off to quite manageble for most of them. If you think you'r not going to make it through coat blowing, another option is to keep them cut short until they're about 2, and then grow them out. It's much kinder to pre-plan this than to get behind on grooming, allow them to get badly matted and THEN have to have a groomer deal with shaving an uncomfortable, matted dog.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
You're definitely better off buying a few expensive grooming tools with a hav. I have the CC buttercomb, CC face and feet, and the CC wooden pin brush (my hav's favorite). I want to buy a Les Pooch but there appears to be something going on with their availability. If I get a chance to attend I show I will look there. I have never been to a dog show as an adult (very funny considering I have a hav from a show heritage!) but I have heard in addition to looking at the dogs its a good place to pick up dog supplies.
I got my Les Pooch at a show.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want to maintain a long coat, you are going to have to get used to the idea of more grooming and more tools. :) Otherwise, you really need to consider a puppy cut. After a Havanese is FULLY adult (like past 2 or 3) as long as they don't have a curly coat, they get easier to groom and can go more days between grooming. How long depends on the coat and your idea of what you're willing to live with. Vanishingly few can get by without a FULL, to the skin, grooming once a week or so. Most need it at least every few day, some really need to be combed out completely daily. This is not a low maintenance breed. :)

However, by far, the hardest part is from 9 or 10 months through about 18 months. Then you may be tearing your OWN hair out. After that, it tapers off to quite manageble for most of them. If you think you'r not going to make it through coat blowing, another option is to keep them cut short until they're about 2, and then grow them out. It's much kinder to pre-plan this than to get behind on grooming, allow them to get badly matted and THEN have to have a groomer deal with shaving an uncomfortable, matted dog.
Thank you Karen! I might consider cutting him from 9-18 months and then growing him out. :) I appreciate your advice. My breeder's Havanese had the loveliest silkiest coats and I hope to have him long like them one day but I will admit I am fearful of this blowing coat stage. My Papillon is a walk in the park when it comes to grooming in comparison to a Havanese!

·
Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
small cordless clippers for........ sani,
HAH! The last time I let someone with a clippers "down there", they snipped off my manhood! Oh well, it was a good way to lose a pound. :biggrin1: KODI, I recommend you RLH at the sight of those clippers down there.

besos, Ricky Ricardo

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Thank you Karen! I might consider cutting him from 9-18 months and then growing him out. :) I appreciate your advice. My breeder's Havanese had the loveliest silkiest coats and I hope to have him long like them one day but I will admit I am fearful of this blowing coat stage. My Papillon is a walk in the park when it comes to grooming in comparison to a Havanese!
Some of the silky coated ones are not particularly hard, even through blowing coat. the more cottony coats are worse, and the really curly ones can be close to impossible. If your pup has silky coated parents, talk to your breeder and ask how hard they were through blowing coat. You may get lucky! There are some people who hardly notice it! Just keep it in mind, and if matting becomes more than you are willing to deal with, or it's getting in the way of your relationship, consider at least a temporary puppy cut.

Kodi and I managed to make it through blowing coat without killing ourselves. And now his coat really isn't much trouble at all. I do groom him close to daily, but including putting his top knot in, it takes me all of about 10 minutes. I LIKE grooming him daily because I like him to look his best. He can go for up to 5 days without getting much in the way of knots. Besides, I down-sized from horses, so grooming one small dog, even one with a lot of hair, seems like a piece of cake!!! ;)

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
HAH! The last time I let someone with a clippers "down there", they snipped off my manhood! Oh well, it was a good way to lose a pound. :biggrin1: KODI, I recommend you RLH at the sight of those clippers down there.

besos, Ricky Ricardo
Ricky, I hate to tell you this, but I doubt it was the clippers that did the "dirty deed". They have this thing called a "scalpel", though I think it actually is more like the swords they used on "Pirates of the Caribbean". (I liked that movie, though if _I'd_ been in it, I NEVER would have given the keys to those scoundrels!) Or maybe like the carving knife dad used to slice up that big bird at Christmas.

I like that my mom keeps my hair pretty short down there, even though "there" is mostly gone. I'm really good about letting her get knots out anywhere else, but those little spidery knots that happen, well, you know, "down there", really HURT if she tries to get them out with a comb!!!

Your buddy in crime,

Kodi

P.S. Don't worry little buddy, even at the age of 5 1/2, I still "have it" when it comes to the ladies. They swoon at my feet! :faint:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Reviving this old thread in case anyone has different views on the best brushes! For Charlie, we have always just used a very simple comb and pin brush, but they didn’t work that well and I’d like to do more of my own grooming with #2. I think I may have mentioned before that Charlie is extremely bath-phobic… it got to the point where he would hide and start shaking if we ran the bath at all (even if he wasn’t going to be groomed!) so he now exclusively gets bathed by the groomer unless it’s an emergency. I am hoping to get puppy used to bathing early on, which means more brushing at home, and I think better brushes may also help with Charlie’s grooming tolerance (which is decent as long as I only do a little at a time). Do people like the CC brushes/combs still? The Les Pooch?

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Reviving this old thread in case anyone has different views on the best brushes! For Charlie, we have always just used a very simple comb and pin brush, but they didn’t work that well and I’d like to do more of my own grooming with #2. I think I may have mentioned before that Charlie is extremely bath-phobic… it got to the point where he would hide and start shaking if we ran the bath at all (even if he wasn’t going to be groomed!) so he now exclusively gets bathed by the groomer unless it’s an emergency. I am hoping to get puppy used to bathing early on, which means more brushing at home, and I think better brushes may also help with Charlie’s grooming tolerance (which is decent as long as I only do a little at a time). Do people like the CC brushes/combs still? The Les Pooch?
Yes! My favorite comes are still the CC Buttercombs, and although I will still use a CC wood pin brush for drying, my new favorite brush, if I were to have only one, is their Ice Slip brush!

The Les Pooch slickers are still nice, but they are WICKED expensive, and they re now made in China (welcome to the modern world!) so not the same quality as the old ones. I have a coup[le of these that I bought when the Les Pooch slickers were off the market for a while. They are a SMALL FRACTION of the price, very soft, do the job, and I haven't broken one yet. I wouldn't buy another Les Pooch after finding these:

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
My favorites are the CC butter combs and the CC brass fusion brush. I also like the CC ice slip brush but not as much as the brass fusion brush. I find the ice slip brush very helpful if Mia has been rolling around in the grass or has gotten into leaf matter. If so, I use that first. But I cannot do without the brass fusion brush. Mia used to absolutely hate brushing but she loves the brass fusion brush. I never use my CC wooden pin brush anymore. It just goes right through Mia’s fur and does nothing. It may be useful though to get a dog to like brushing.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
My favorites are the CC butter combs and the CC brass fusion brush. I also like the CC ice slip brush but not as much as the brass fusion brush. I find the ice slip brush very helpful if Mia has been rolling around in the grass or has gotten into leaf matter. If so, I use that first. But I cannot do without the brass fusion brush. Mia used to absolutely hate brushing but she loves the brass fusion brush. I never use my CC wooden pin brush anymore. It just goes right through Mia’s fur and does nothing. It may be useful though to get a dog to like brushing.
The ONLY thing I use the wood pin brush for is “fluffing” while drying, and their coats are completely combed out at that point anyway. I don’t think I would BUY it for that though… I think either of the other of the brushes would work too. It’s just really soft on wet skin, and I already own is so…

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Registered
168 Posts
@krandall @mudpuppymama thanks for sharing! I just looked at the butter combs and there are SO many! Any particular ones that you really like or are more all-purpose, or do you really need the specific ones? I already spend (way) more on Charlie’s haircuts each year than mine (and about to double that…), so seems fitting that the same would go for brushes and combs! 🤣

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
I mostly use a butter comb. The wooden pin brush and the ice slip brush are a tie for me in second place :) Other wire brushes that are gentle enough are usually too bendy. I don’t mind my other CC wire brushes but I rarely use them. The wood pin brush works well for Sundance but it’s not for detangling. I keep the mini wood brushes in the car and other places to brush out leaves, etc. I use the big wooden pin brush less often but I’m glad I have it. Sundance loves it so if I’m just fixing his topknot or he doesn’t need a full comb through I’ll use it. It’s definitely really useful for grooming a puppy. When he had a puppy coat I used to groom with a comb for a few minutes and then do the rest with the brush, and I gradually increased the time I used the comb.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
I mostly use a butter comb. The wooden pin brush and the ice slip brush are a tie for me in second place :) Other wire brushes that are gentle enough are usually too bendy. I don’t mind my other CC wire brushes but I rarely use them. The wood pin brush works well for Sundance but it’s not for detangling. I keep the mini wood brushes in the car and other places to brush out leaves, etc. I use the big wooden pin brush less often but I’m glad I have it. Sundance loves it so if I’m just fixing his topknot or he doesn’t need a full comb through I’ll use it. It’s definitely really useful for grooming a puppy. When he had a puppy coat I used to groom with a comb for a few minutes and then do the rest with the brush, and I gradually increased the time I used the comb.
I think the reason the wooden pin brush does not work too well for Mia is because her hair is so fine. I think if it were coarser the wooden pin brush and ice slip brush would be more effective.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
@krandall @mudpuppymama thanks for sharing! I just looked at the butter combs and there are SO many! Any particular ones that you really like or are more all-purpose, or do you really need the specific ones? I already spend (way) more on Charlie’s haircuts each year than mine (and about to double that…), so seems fitting that the same would go for brushes and combs! 🤣
I like the face feet comb and the CC 000 comb the best.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts