Havanese Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
I prefer to brush before combing because this allows the comb to go through more smoothly and combing goes much faster. I also like to brush after I am done combing to distribute the natural oils and sort of stimulate the scalp. For Mia, I find the brass fusion brush accomplishes both of these goals very well. The ice slip brush does not work as well on Mia because her hair is very fine and the brush sort of slides over her. She also seems to prefer the brass fusion brush. However, Karen and some others love the ice slip brush. It could be that Mia’s coat is not as Havanese-ish because she is half papillon. I love the sheen the brass fusion brush gives to her fur and Mia seems to enjoy being brushed with it. And Mia used to run when a got near her with a brush.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
I just ordered a new comb after mine was missing for a week. I found it yesterday stuck in the actual leg of the sofa but the new one is coming so lucky me :) I knew the old one would turn up eventually so I got a face and feet comb even though I have both of those “pins per inch” or whatever as separate combs (somewhere anyway). I think I might like the dual sides but we’ll see.
I have combs in my desk, combs in my training bag, combs on my grooming table and a comb on my bedside table! Never too many combs in a Havanese household! ❤

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Hmm I’m not sure. It came today but I didn’t have time to use it. Actually, it came right after DH took the arm off the sofa to get the other one out. It seems a little short to me, I guess I didn’t pay attention to the length! I can tell it will be useful, especially because it would be nice to have a comb upstairs, but I’ve been using standard length combs for hair cutting for 20 years, and it feels a little off in my hand. I could see it being easier to turn around with one hand, though, so I’ll have to give it a real chance.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hmm I’m not sure. It came today but I didn’t have time to use it. Actually, it came right after DH took the arm off the sofa to get the other one out. It seems a little short to me, I guess I didn’t pay attention to the length! I can tell it will be useful, especially because it would be nice to have a comb upstairs, but I’ve been using standard length combs for hair cutting for 20 years, and it feels a little off in my hand. I could see it being easier to turn around with one hand, though, so I’ll have to give it a real chance.
It definitely comes down to what you're used to - I absolutely love the shorter length, I could never maneuver the longer ones around his legs and face without getting the other end caught on some part of him :) so the shorter length is perfect for me and maneuvering it with one hand while the other holds his head or leg (since Perry does not like getting his face or front legs combed)

41 - 44 of 44 Posts