Havanese Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m coming back to this site hoping to find some help from people who have experienced this health issue. As mom to two beautiful wonderful Havanese it just seems so strange that both of them suffered nasal issues fora large part of their lives. My Barney had lots of mucous issues but was never really diagnosed and we lost him at age 14 two years ago due to other health issues and then dementia. Now my Bella who will be 16 next month is suffering and after seeing a internist who did a scope said no tumor or polyps just rhinitis. She is and has been on Cerenia, tempril p, hydrocodine and Bendryal, other cough tabs and honey and nasal sprays and on and on. The last year she sneezes so much and mucus flys everywhere, she coughs a very loose phlegmy cough and her nose runs and is always wet. She also shakes her head hard and opens her mouth but not yawning she looks like she is trying to open her ears. Maybe the reason I am so aware of her symptoms is because I have had the same thing for the past 40:eek:r more years. Weird I know but while a drippy nose is a bother I can use lots of tissues and have a nasal spray that drys me up..I want to help my baby girl so she can be more comfortable in her old age. Any help?

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
Do you use anything like air fresheners? What about fragrances like perfumes or those in hair/skin products? Do the shampoos or conditioners you use on the dogs have any scent? Laundry detergents can also be problematic and especially fabric softeners or dryer sheets. Even the unscented ones leave chemicals on the clothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does Bella also have a collapsed trachea? Just read your other post.
Yes but I have requested rays from three different vets who say they really don’t show the collapse. She was making that awful honking years ago when she was younger and more active and got excited. She has been treated with many things but as she ages and slows down I don’t see her panting and breathing so hard unless she gets a little frisky. This whole mess with her has been confusing between the trachea and the whole head thing. I hear two different coughs, the excitable one and the mucous phlegm’s loose one. I am so old now I forget what drugs were for what and have lists all over the place. I think weather affects her since we are cooling off and she is more comfortable. Now I started giving her my nose drops which isn’t easy but sneezing is less this am and she hasn’t shaken her head so much and snot not flying everywhere. I know she has trachea collapse but it doesn’t seem to be her major problem and not progressing fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does sound unusual. Maybe there is something in your home that is causing these issues? Have you always lived in the same home? Something like undiscovered mold in ductwork, in walls, under flooring.
I wonder if there is a way to check for toxins easily.
We moved 8 years ago to a smaller place with very small yard. Dogs have always had doggie door and I had to install synthetic grass for them as we live right up to a large wooded area very shaded and couldn’t grow grass. i don’t use scents much in house and had a new door installed to patio because of water damage and some mold but mold was not in wall. We have Peacocks in neighborhood that own us and wander everywhere. I have found that Bella loves to eat their poop and other dogs like to roll in it. gross I know but I wonder if she could have a fungal infection. I can’t get any tests done except blood tests which are very good. I want allergy tests done but don’t know where to get them. To put it bluntly, I am disgusted with the vets I have seen and spend half my life trying to communicate with them. Honestly I think they don’t have answers if the problem isn’t right in front of them to see". Thanks for reading and offering your thoughts. I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The idea that you have similar issues as 2 of your dogs makes me wonder.
Could it be something that all of you are in contact with? I was thinking of down comforters, pillows something like that.
My vets have always discouraged me from doing allergy testing on my dogs. There is a new med that they love to give. They suggest that trying it for a month and see if there is improvement. The med is Apoquel

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
The idea that you have similar issues as 2 of your dogs makes me wonder.
Could it be something that all of you are in contact with? I was thinking of down comforters, pillows something like that.
My vets have always discouraged me from doing allergy testing on my dogs. There is a new med that they love to give. They suggest that trying it for a month and see if there is improvement. The med is Apoquel
My vet considers Apoquel a “medicine of last resort” as it is implicated in some cancers. Even with all of Kodi’s allergies, we’ve been able to manage him without resorting to Apoquel. It is really not a new drug at this point… It was approved in 2013. It’s just that the cute ad with the talking Pug in the sweater brought it to the attention of the general public, I think.

BUT, and it’s a big but, I DID have to have a vet who would work with me on allergy testing, dietary changes, and really learning what his triggers were to keep him healthy with a minimum of medications. But at his worse, he was itching the base of his tail bloody. Worst culprit? The TINY bit of fish oil that is in MOST dog foods.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Wow! Thanks, Karen. The 3 vets I saw almost 2 years ago when Shadow had his belly upset were all pushing it. I'm wondering now if they don't get a kickback on it. 2 of them are very well respected vets around here. I'm happy I never tried it.
Shadow's itching/scratching is bad when he has anything with chicken. Turkey is fine though, he never gets chicken anything anymore. A change of food was all he needed.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Wow! Thanks, Karen. The 3 vets I saw almost 2 years ago when Shadow had his belly upset were all pushing it. I'm wondering now if they don't get a kickback on it. 2 of them are very well respected vets around here. I'm happy I never tried it.
Shadow's itching/scratching is bad when he has anything with chicken. Turkey is fine though, he never gets chicken anything anymore. A change of food was all he needed.
You and he are lucky that it was that simple! when the test results came back showing that Kodi was highly allergic to fish, I remember saying, “That’s ridiculous! I’Ve NEVER fed him fish! I HATE the smell of fish based dog food!” Then my WONDERFUL vet said, “Are you sure? And looked up the ingredients of his food. There it was… fish oil. It turns out that MANY (most commercial foods add it to increase omega 3 fatty acids. For MOST dogs it is a great food source and not a problem! Thank GOD for Nature’s Variety Limited Ingredient foods, and all their (many) protein recipes!!! They have been keeping him safe for 10 years now, and we have been able to change proteins as he has become sensitized to one protein after another. (As tends to happen with these dogs). They still have two more proteins we haven’t used before we run out of options for him!

Reactions: Sheri

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I’m curious if your Havanese are from the same breeder and if the breeder might have some insight. It seems more likely to me that two dogs with the same symptoms from different breeders are being exposed to something more dangerous than typical allergens and I’d want to eliminate the possibilities of things like hidden mold or radon. Did they have the symptoms at the same time? Of course chances are good it’s just bad luck and they both have common allergies or something in the forest near you is a common allergen but I wouldn’t want to risk leaving it unchecked for your own health, too. I‘ve been surprised to learn how common it is to have dangerously poor indoor air quality - it’s not just marketing for air purifiers ;) The increase in gas cooking appliances and the push for making older homes more energy efficient has caused indoor air problems and people have no idea. In some parts of the U.S. the building code didn’t catch up until 2017, so even my 5 year old house had this problem. Many homes have been remodeled with new windows and doors, or someone replaced an old gas stove with a higher BTU and these things don’t require permits. Even if they did, a lot of contractors don’t know the building science on this. It can lead to indoor air pollution that’s worse than living in the most polluted city in the world on a daily basis. I’m not one to spend a lot of time looking for hidden dangers in my home but the lack of a huge PSA campaign on this given it can cause cancer is scary to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m coming back to this site hoping to find some help from people who have experienced this health issue. As mom to two beautiful wonderful Havanese it just seems so strange that both of them suffered nasal issues fora large part of their lives. My Barney had lots of mucous issues but was never really diagnosed and we lost him at age 14 two years ago due to other health issues and then dementia. Now my Bella who will be 16 next month is suffering and after seeing a internist who did a scope said no tumor or polyps just rhinitis. She is and has been on Cerenia, tempril p, hydrocodine and Bendryal, other cough tabs and honey and nasal sprays and on and on. The last year she sneezes so much and mucus flys everywhere, she coughs a very loose phlegmy cough and her nose runs and is always wet. She also shakes her head hard and opens her mouth but not yawning she looks like she is trying to open her ears. Maybe the reason I am so aware of her symptoms is because I have had the same thing for the past 40:eek:r more years. Weird I know but while a drippy nose is a bother I can use lots of tissues and have a nasal spray that drys me up..I want to help my baby girl so she can be more comfortable in her old age. Any help?
I practiced Asian medicine for over 30 years. When someone came in my office with these symptoms, the first thing I asked them to do was to stop ingesting dairy of any kind. So try that first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 12 year old male Hav started snorting, honking, sneezing pretty constantly for several weeks. He also had a runny nose. At times I wasn’t sure he could catch his breath it went on for so long. The vet thought it might be allergies but after trying several of the treatments you mentioned there was no improvement. I finally tried some Salmon Oil Hemp Extract made by Upstate Elevator Supply Co 250 mg. I give him 5 drops with food in the morning and 5 drops again at night. In two days the cough/snorting stopped. Amazing. I still give him the drops and will continue to do so. Hope they may work for you as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 12 year old male Hav started snorting, honking, sneezing pretty constantly for several weeks. He also had a runny nose. At times I wasn’t sure he could catch his breath it went on for so long. The vet thought it might be allergies but after trying several of the treatments you mentioned there was no improvement. I finally tried some Salmon Oil Hemp Extract made by Upstate Elevator Supply Co 250 mg. I give him 5 drops with food in the morning and 5 drops again at night. In two days the cough/snorting stopped. Amazing. I still give him the drops and will continue to do so. Hope they may work for you as well.
Neglected to mention that the Hemp extract was made specifically for dogs and cats. Great company located in Vermont!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts