Havanese Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( What type of collar is best for training? Some say a "choke" chain and others use the that little gadget that sort of clips together(as you can tell I don't know the proper name of it!) If anyone has any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated! Valentino will be 1 yr. on 12-7 and he needs some training! He actually does fairly well considering I am NOT very good at it! Please help with any info and experience you have!! vicki

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
It doesn't matter, especially for a small dog. The important part is how it's used. Don't be a "jerk" and don't teach the dog to pull. Just like teaching a horse reins aids, if you want them to respond to light aids you have to use light aids, but to start with you have to get their attention and then gradually bring down the levels. If we have a dog who has not learned how to walk on a leash staying with us we take them for long walks. The walks need to be long enough that it gets to the place that the dog figures out the easy way is just to go along and stop when we stop. They learn pretty quickly but then we have to teach the owners when they come back or the dog will revert back to the way it was with them.

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Training Collar

Thanks Tom for the advice! I will get a collar and get started! He is very smart (sometimes smarter than I am!!) so hopefully he will catch on quickly. I'll let you know how it goes. vicki

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I was thinking about training and not about types of collars when I posted earlier. When we are going to leave a collar on a Havanese for any length of time we like the rolled leather collars because for whatever reason they don't mat the hair up like a lot of other collars will. They can be found at dogshows much cheaper than Petsmart.

When we just want to slip one on in a hurry we like the Mendota or similar ones made out of a soft rope with a sliding leather stop.

http://www.mendotaproducts.com/products/brit_slipleads.htm

For show leads: Can't find the name but they are made by a Maltese breeder in Florida and have a silver bead. Maybe someone else can remember the name.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Tom, I don't know the one with a silver bead. I'd be curious to find out about that one.

I like the slip leads with the wide neck, which is sometimes a satin pad. They are called Kindness Leads. I prefer the modified Rescoe leads by Ena Lane at ShowOff Products, which is one style of her kindness leads. Here is the link: http://www.showoffproducts.com/leads.htm (Scroll halfway down the page for the modified Rescoe leads.)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has used the puppia harness? My breeder said that a lot of people tell her they like it, and I was thinking about getting one for the new puppy for training. Any suggestions?

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I've used a puppy harness, but that was because the puppy was not trained. I prefer a regular collar for training because they recognize pressure from it and want to avoid it.

One other downside to a harness is that creates a lot more mat points with Havanese hair. Instead of just avoiding a few mats around the neck, you now have the back, and all the armpit areas that will be prone to matting from the friction.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has used the puppia harness? My breeder said that a lot of people tell her they like it, and I was thinking about getting one for the new puppy for training. Any suggestions?
I use a step in harness that I love. It is hand made by Timberline and it is rolled soft rope of some kind. They don't mat the coats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts