Havanese Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My husband and I are preparing to welcome our first puppy, George, home on September 26. I know that a body harness is preferred to avoid pulling on the puppy’s delicate throat, but given that I likely wouldn’t leave the harness on 24/7, is a collar appropriate for quick in and out potty breaks? I would imagine trying to put a body harness on in a hurry when George has to pee would be very impractical and the delay in doing so may lead to unwanted accidents. Just curious how others handled this “logistical” challenge with their puppies. Thanks everyone!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Liver
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Liver

·
Registered
873 Posts
George is already very handsome with a very sweet puppy face.
I use a slip lead with a buckle on it to prevent choking for quick potty outings. I'm not sure if it would work well for a wild squirming puppy.
I think it will depend on where you would be taking him out. If you are taking him out to a backyard, it might be ok. A city street with traffic etc., not so much. If you have a yard, I'd set up a potty area with a fenced pen and just carry him out.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I have always used a quick clip collar for quick potty breaks with Molly. The collar stays attached to her leash which I leave by the door where we go out to the yard. This came in handy when trying to get her outside to her potty spot quickly when she was a puppy. For trips outside the yard and longer walks she gets a harness put on.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
For quick potty trips I would definitely consider picking them up and carrying them the minute you think they need to go out. I know that when they're small like that, that any pause - to put on their harness/ collar or even to open the door :) can be too much for them.

If you are going out on the street rather than your yard and want to use a harness, I would suggest one that pulls over their head and that you can slip on after you pick them up, while holding them.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
For quick potty trips I would definitely consider picking them up and carrying them the minute you think they need to go out. I know that when they're small like that, that any pause - to put on their harness/ collar or even to open the door :) can be too much for them.

If you are going out on the street rather than your yard and want to use a harness, I would suggest one that pulls over their head and that you can slip on after you pick them up, while holding them.

I agree. Since I STRONGLY recommend potty box training, I would be picking up the puppy and transporting to a litter box. No need for any "clothes." When I DID take Ducky out, first thing in the morning, because he already did know about outdoor pottying, because I had started the litter on it, I would pop in into an ex-pen set up on the grass. Same thing. No need for a collar or harness. he was contained and couldn't wander. Limited distractions, too.

I wish I'd thought of putting up an ex-pen for pottying my older ones outdoors as puppies, actually! It made things VERY easy!!! I had started it with the litter to keep them contained, and just continued it with Ducky once the others left!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I agree. Since I STRONGLY recommend potty box training, I would be picking up the puppy and transporting to a litter box. No need for any "clothes." When I DID take Ducky out, first thing in the morning, because he already did know about outdoor pottying, because I had started the litter on it, I would pop in into an ex-pen set up on the grass. Same thing. No need for a collar or harness. he was contained and couldn't wander. Limited distractions, too.

I wish I'd thought of putting up an ex-pen for pottying my older ones outdoors as puppies, actually! It made things VERY easy!!! I had started it with the litter to keep them contained, and just continued it with Ducky once the others left!
I think the idea of an expen outside for pottying when they're puppies is a genius idea. It keeps them contained, no need for a harness/ no need to "walk" them, you start teaching to potty in one area, you can work on teaching "potty" because you can watch them more carefully because you're not also trying to walk them at the same time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
George has such a sweet face.
I love the idea of an exercise pen outside - that is just genius! Never even thought of it being a possibility until now (being FL, my concern would be discovering other animals in it...)

I recently picked up a Lupine harness - and he likes it a lot.
But this pull over harness style sounds very interesting - can anyone share a link please?

·
Registered
965 Posts

I did the outdoor x-pen with Jo based on your recommendation and it was AMAZING. When she was a little pup with no attention span, it really helped differentiate potty time from play time…. She was put in there to potty, and could come out to play after she was done. She is now super speedy with pottying in our back yard— she runs out there quickly, and almost exclusively goes in the spot where we had the x-pen (which is what we’d hoped).

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I picked up buddy at the breeder they gave me a small harness to use at that time. I never used a single collar because I did not want to hurt his neck. He pulled when first got him. I never used crate training or put him in a fenced crate outside. Fortunately, i to have a fenced in backyard so it was like easier when he had to go potty just to go out the back door. These dogs really thrive with human contact. I’m with buddy 24/7 and he sleeps with me at night even the first day I took him home from the breeder. He slept all night in my bed and didn’t get up. He was housetrained at three months and recently got neutered. So, no matter what you do or methods you take, he needs to know that you’re always around and watching. He’ll send signals to you when he has to go. Unfortunately, puppies can’t hold themselves. Buddy doesn’t like being confined. So without the fenced in backyard, I suggest to put a harness on him, give him about a10ft circle and attached a bungee cord to stake in ground. I never left him alone. Final word. Take him out at least every hour. Quiet place. No people or pets. These dogs love to play and get very distracted. Always same route.

·
Registered
204 Posts
We potty trained Jojo for outside only. She still goes out on a leash to potty and wears a collar for potty breaks and a harness for walks. I go where she wants in her potty area of the yard so she need never pull. I will also add that while your puppy is very little you will most likely carry them to the place you want them to go. It’s easy to slip on whatever you choose while carrying him on the way out the door. Puppies mostly won’t go potty while being carried. Litter box training seems a good option for many but wasn’t a good choice for us. Happy puppy training🐶

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
We have a partially fenced yard and used a soft vest type harness for potty. It’s not ideal for a long walk, it could probably lead to matting and it’s a bit bulky, but it was very fast and easy to get on and off because it had only one closure. We used a different harness with thin, adjustable straps for other outings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts