Havanese Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
For quick potty trips I would definitely consider picking them up and carrying them the minute you think they need to go out. I know that when they're small like that, that any pause - to put on their harness/ collar or even to open the door :) can be too much for them.

If you are going out on the street rather than your yard and want to use a harness, I would suggest one that pulls over their head and that you can slip on after you pick them up, while holding them.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I agree. Since I STRONGLY recommend potty box training, I would be picking up the puppy and transporting to a litter box. No need for any "clothes." When I DID take Ducky out, first thing in the morning, because he already did know about outdoor pottying, because I had started the litter on it, I would pop in into an ex-pen set up on the grass. Same thing. No need for a collar or harness. he was contained and couldn't wander. Limited distractions, too.

I wish I'd thought of putting up an ex-pen for pottying my older ones outdoors as puppies, actually! It made things VERY easy!!! I had started it with the litter to keep them contained, and just continued it with Ducky once the others left!
I think the idea of an expen outside for pottying when they're puppies is a genius idea. It keeps them contained, no need for a harness/ no need to "walk" them, you start teaching to potty in one area, you can work on teaching "potty" because you can watch them more carefully because you're not also trying to walk them at the same time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts