Havanese Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Yes, it could very well be. However, how MUCH she will silver is very much up in the air. A lot about the silver gene is still guess work. We THINK that two copies give you a dog that becomes really silver. They often have a silver mask at litter age. But a SINGLE silver gene seems to express much more variably, both in the amount of silvering, and in how it stays on the dog. I have known several Havanese who probably posess a single copy of the gene, who darken and lighten throughout their lives. Others seem to get “splashes” like this. I have a friend whose girl has silver “pantaloons”! My Pixel has a littermate who is a beautiful silver dog. Pixel, herself, developed a splsh of silver in her tail, like your girl, as well as splashes behind her ears… and then they went away again, and have never returned!

·
Member (Teresa)
894 Posts
I don't know how missed this. When it comes to color questions and usually have to weigh in😋 I just sent these before and after pics to Jodies' breeder last week. She told me about Colours of the Rainbow but Jodie fascinates even her. How often she'll keep changing is "up in the air" as Karen stated. However, I like the darker version because it's so much easier to keep it looking clean. I groom Cotton every day including his eyes 2-3 times a day and they still look awful! We don't love him any less though.

Dog breed Carnivore Toy Dog Fawn

Jodie with Cotton at 9weeks
Vertebrate Textile Liver Mammal Feather

Here's our little skunk from last year
Cat Vertebrate Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats

Then she became a reverse skunk!
Cat Comfort Felidae Carnivore Textile

Jodie's 1st birthday (Jan. 2019)
Head Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

One year and 9 months later (Oct. 2020)
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Felidae Companion dog

October 2021
Dog Carnivore Liver Dog breed Companion dog

My little princess!
Furniture Comfort Blue Window Wood

I still love grooming her every day💖

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Colors of the Rainbow makes my brain hurt. If I spend an hour really intently studying there I can work through all of Sundance’s unique coat characteristics and remember them for about 3 days. By day 4 I start to mix up the characteristics of the different phenotypes and by day 5 I’ve already forgotten everything I painstakingly figured out about Sundance. At some point I wrote it down and added it to his paperwork file but I never think to go look for it when I’m headed down the Havaneseabc.com rabbit hole! The changes in their coats are so beautiful and interesting to me but understanding them is not conducive to my strengths :)

I hope you’ll post pictures as you see her coat change! I love to see them.

Jaja, the changes in Jodie are always stunning to me because it looks like a lifetime of coat change but she’s still so young!

·
Member (Teresa)
894 Posts
Colors of the Rainbow makes my brain hurt. If I spend an hour really intently studying there I can work through all of Sundance’s unique coat characteristics and remember them for about 3 days. By day 4 I start to mix up the characteristics of the different phenotypes and by day 5 I’ve already forgotten everything I painstakingly figured out about Sundance. At some point I wrote it down and added it to his paperwork file but I never think to go look for it when I’m headed down the Havaneseabc.com rabbit hole! The changes in their coats are so beautiful and interesting to me but understanding them is not conducive to my strengths :)

Jaja, the changes in Jodie are always stunning to me because it looks like a lifetime of coat change but she’s still so young!

One hour? It took me several hours over several days-and I definitely took notes! I wish I could find the flashcards I made.😆 Don't sell yourself short EvaE1izabeth. You are very bright and absorb and think things through thoroughly. The info is still there it's just on your back cognitive burner. My older brother was always able to learn via reading textbooks and listening two lectures. My retort always was "I can't pay attention because I'm so bored!"
Now I'm going on the hunt for those flash cards😋 I will definitely keep posting pictures.

·
Member (Teresa)
894 Posts
An ho

One hour? Oh my, I've spent several hours, more than once-and I definitely took notes! I wish I could find the flash cards I made 😆 Don't sell yourself short EvaE1izabeth, you are very bright. I could never just read through that a few times and remember it. That's not my learning style. I can verbally run circles around most anyone and absorb information when I translate it to something meaningful. My older brother was able to just read textbooks in college and also learned by listening to lectures. I always retorted, "I can't pay attention because I'm soooo boooored 😴 Of course you forget with time, you process and think things through thoroughly which continuously puts more info in your brain. The older info is there it's just on your back cognitive burner 😋

1 - 9 of 9 Posts