Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you’ve liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc. regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Support

·
Arf! Arf!
2,744 Posts
WHEW, all the changes to HF. o_O I've spent the last hour getting my bearings! I am sad to see all the traditional smilies gone, but some of the new ones are pretty good, sort of. And what has happened to Pita Pata? Maybe it is still possible but I guess needs to be reloaded; I'll have to play with it. And I am waiting to see what the "premium subscription" offers. I willing to pay for NO ADS, but I am not willing to pay for "reduced ads."

Change is good, when it is an improvement and there were plenty of problems with the previous version of HF. I am remaining confident that this new version is better once I get used to the new format. And I never realized that @gelbergirl was a moderator! I guess I will have to start behaving myself now. IT'S ALL RICKY'S FAULT! 🐾

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
WHEW, all the changes to HF. o_O I've spent the last hour getting my bearings! I am sad to see all the traditional smilies gone, but some of the new ones are pretty good, sort of. And what has happened to Pita Pata? Maybe it is still possible but I guess needs to be reloaded; I'll have to play with it. And I am waiting to see what the "premium subscription" offers. I willing to pay for NO ADDS, but I am not willing to pay for "reduced adds."

Change is good, when it is an improvement and there were plenty of problems with the previous version of HF. I am remaining confident that this new version is better once I get used to the new format. And I never realized that @gelbergirl as a moderator! I guess I will have to start behaving myself now. IT'S ALL RICKY'S FAULT! 🐾

Ricky's Popi
LOL! I will believe THAT when I see it! I don't think Momi and Ricky have EVER gotten you to behave! ;)

My timelines are showing, but I can't remember whether they are Pitapat or the other one, and I can't see while I'm typing this...

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
LOL! I will believe THAT when I see it! I don't think Momi and Ricky have EVER gotten you to behave! ;)

My timelines are showing, but I can't remember whether they are Pitapat or the other one, and I can't see while I'm typing this...
Hmmm. Mine are Ticker Factory. But you have to click on the carat on the far right to see them... and worse, my signature photo is gone. 😢 ...And the smilies are now just the generic ones that are everywhere else. I guess that's good, because they are the ones we are all used to, but we did lose some good ones, like :grouphug: . OTOH, we DO now have hearts, which will make Shamamama happy! ;)

·
Arf! Arf!
2,744 Posts
I have been able to get Pita Pata to show at the bottom of the post. You need to press the \/ arrow at the bottom right of the post.

[EDIT] Karen you and I are posting at the same time. :giggle:

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
I have been able to get Pita Pata to show at the bottom of the post. You need to press the \/ arrow at the bottom right of the post.
Yup! Same with the Ticker Factory one! Now I want the picture of my
"Herd" back!😭

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
Hi folks! We had someone else who got locked out in the change-over. Can you help her get back in?

Jackie from Concrete, WA is her user name. Please PM me if you need her email!

Thank you!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
...And I agree with you on the Premium membership. I'd gladly pay $20 a year to get rid of the ads. I would NOT pay $20 a year for 50% less ads... Not SURE I'd do it for 90% less ads because I don't trust them not to slowly creep them back up. I've found it highly offensive how many dog/puppy ads have rotated through recently... We were EXPRESSLY PROMISED that those wouldn't happen.

·
Arf! Arf!
2,744 Posts
She will have to re-enter her user name and password. If she has forgotten either or both, she will need to follow the prompts when she tries to sign in. HF will send her the user name, and once she has that, she will need to reset her password. It happened to me.

Send me her email if you like and I will give her a call and walk her through it. A day without Jackie and WILLOW is like a day without.......Jackie and WILLOW!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
She will have to re-enter her user name and password. If she has forgotten either or both, she will need to follow the prompts when she tries to sign in. HF will send her the user name, and once she has that, she will need to reset her password. It happened to me.

Send me her email if you like and I will give her a call and walk her through it. A day without Jackie and WILLOW is like a day without.......Jackie and WILLOW!
She has already done that. She needs admin help. :(

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
Oh no...what happened! I'm going to miss the smiley faces. 🙁 Hope I'll be able to figure out Pita Pata again... I would definitely pay $20 a year to get rid of the adds in the right column.

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
My Pita Pata hasn't disappeared, only Sparky's angel. Popi and Karen your signature appeared when I clicked on your names.

·
Arf! Arf!
2,744 Posts
Oh no...what happened! I'm going to miss the smiley faces. 🙁 Hope I'll be able to figure out Pita Pata again... I would definitely pay $20 a year to get rid of the adds in the right column.
Yes, I miss the Smiley faces. The new ones are pretty blah!

My Pita Pata is still there (and so is yours), you just have to click on the down arrow at the lower right of the post to see them.

Thanks for the tip from @mudpuppymama , you will need to reload your avatar to get it centered in the frame.

I have contacted the Admin to see if $20 per year will get rid of all ADs. Stand by, I'll let you know when they reply.

Good to see you and dogs back Heather.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I hope people stick with it. I’m impatient when it comes to changes in a new phone, software, etc. but I’ll figure it out eventually. It would be sad if the changes discourage people, because I do think they’ll be better once we adapt.

I was wondering, is there contact information or a support email listed somewhere in case people have trouble accessing their accounts? I thought about it earlier when Karen was able to email for a Jackie. If someone didn’t have access to another member’s email, to make a request to admins on their behalf, what could they do?

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
My Pita Pata hasn't disappeared, only Sparky's angel. Popi and Karen your signature appeared when I clicked on your names.
The signature is there, but not the photo of my dogs. 😩

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
I hope people stick with it. I’m impatient when it comes to changes in a new phone, software, etc. but I’ll figure it out eventually. It would be sad if the changes discourage people, because I do think they’ll be better once we adapt.

I was wondering, is there contact information or a support email listed somewhere in case people have trouble accessing their accounts? I thought about it earlier when Karen was able to email for a Jackie. If someone didn’t have access to another member’s email, to make a request to admins on their behalf, what could they do?
I don’t know... we lost a lot of people at another point when that happened...

·
Arf! Arf!
2,744 Posts
The signature is there, but not the photo of my dogs. 😩
Go to account details by clicking on your avatar. Click on "edit signature" You will see a "photo" button and click on that. You will have to download your photo again. Apparently, there is now a limit as to how long your signature can be, but I am not sure. Give it a try.

We are going to lose members I fear because of this.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Depending on the browser you use, you can download an ad blocker add-on. I use Firefox as my browser, and I have Adblocker Ultimate installed as an add-on on all our computers and laptops. I do not see any ads on HF when I am on it.

The add-ons are free to download and install in your browser.

- ShamaPapa

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
Go to account details by clicking on your avatar. Click on "edit signature" You will see a "photo" button and click on that. You will have to download your photo again. Apparently, there is now a limit as to how long your signature can be, but I am not sure. Give it a try.

We are going to lose members I fear because of this.
Honestly, if we lose members because of this, they were not all that committed. Technology changes, and the forum was TERRIBLY antiquated, and running on paper clips and bailing twine. I’m really surprised they were able to keep it limping along for as long as they did. People need to be patient.

I’ll have to see about adding my doggies back to my signature tomorrow from my computer. It had to be really small on the old forum software too.

·
Arf! Arf!
2,744 Posts
Depending on the browser you use, you can download an ad blocker add-on. I use Firefox as my browser, and I have Adblocker Ultimate installed as an add-on on all our computers and laptops. I do not see any ads on HF when I am on it.

The add-ons are free to download and install in your browser.

- ShamaPapa
Same here, I use AD-BLOCKER PLUS on Chrome. Good to hear from you Papa of SHAMA.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts