Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have raised my 18 mo old Havanese bought through a breeder from 10 wks. and am very close to her as a retired recent widow that lives aaline in my. Home.. She was the runt of the litter and she immediately chose me on my first visit. She and I walk alot in our dog friendly neighborhood ((I only have courtyard), play , learn tricks and hang out together most days with the exception of errands. She is timid but so sweet and a joy to have in my life. She likes to be around poeple although there are only a few she willnot duck and run from if they try to pet her. She adores a havanese she matches in age. I even take her to a dog “nanny” one whole day weekly at her home to have her around her cavalier and another adult . It took Emmy 6 mos. to really enjoy these outings but she now gets excited when I take her. We also completed 2 levels of obedience classes and she loved the little dogs but avoided all others. I am considering adopting a rescue Have or buy a young Have adult if I can find one as I think she would enjoy the company if the right match but although Emmy is spayed also wonder if gender would be factor. I would really appreciate input from this forum .

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
It's great having two, but double the work!!! 😁 Scout was about 1.5 years old when we got Truffles. They are inseparable and play constantly. Having a male and female has been perfect. I'm thinking two females might try to compete. I've heard females can have an attitude which is true of Truffles. We also had two males for awhile that got along well.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Get another dog if YOU want another dog, don't get it because you think your dog wants/ needs a companion - they might be fine with another dog, but they're also perfectly happy being an only.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
I have to warn you that getting a dog as a "companion" for your current dog is never, EVER a good idea. Dogs don't think like that. They never appreciate it. Most dogs are MUCH happier as "Only dogs" with their human (or humans). And there is NOTHING wrong with an adult dog who does not want to "play with other dogs. Not every human wants to be social with strangers either! Some of us are extroverts, and others are not. That is not necessarily a "problem" unless the people in her life make it one!

Now, if YOU want another dog... that is a completely different story. Just as if parents decide they want a second child. Do it for yourself, not for the first dog! You can make it work, and you can BOTh enjoy the experience! However, it would be easiest on your girl to introduce a puppy, rather than an adult dog. And in the case of a female dog who already is not in love with the idea of other dogs, a nice, laid back MALE puppy is probably your best bet, Females who don't get along can get into AWFUL clashes.

I would find a good breeder, tell them that you are interested in adding another dog to your family, and have them help you choose the best fit for you and your girl!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's great having two, but double the work!!! 😁 Scout was about 1.5 years old when we got Truffles. They are inseparable and play constantly. Having a male and female has been perfect. I'm thinking two females might try to compete. I've heard females can have an attitude which is true of Truffles. We also had two males for awhile that got along well.
I have to warn you that getting a dog as a "companion" for your current dog is never, EVER a good idea. Dogs don't think like that. They never appreciate it. Most dogs are MUCH happier as "Only dogs" with their human (or humans). And there is NOTHING wrong with an adult dog who does not want to "play with other dogs. Not every human wants to be social with strangers either! Some of us are extroverts, and others are not. That is not necessarily a "problem" unless the people in her life make it one!

Now, if YOU want another dog... that is a completely different story. Just as if parents decide they want a second child. Do it for yourself, not for the first dog! You can make it work, and you can BOTh enjoy the experience! However, it would be easiest on your girl to introduce a puppy, rather than an adult dog. And in the case of a female dog who already is not in love with the idea of other dogs, a nice, laid back MALE puppy is probably your best bet, Females who don't get along can get into AWFUL clashes.

I would find a good breeder, tell them that you are interested in adding another dog to your family, and have them help you choose the best fit for you and your girl!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Heather. Those are good points for me to consider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! I put in a vote for having two. They are so cute and pretty entertaining to watch together. It brings me so much joy to see them cuddled up napping or wrestling around the living room playing tug-o-war with toys daily. Also a lot less guilt when we go out of town or out a lot on busy days because they have each other.

We got Piper two years after Max. She was a puppy when we brought her home so I’m not sure how the dynamic would be with two mature dogs. All I can say is that even to this day Piper is still “the little sister” that looks to Max to see how it’s done.

In the first year or so I worried that Piper was a little too “alpha” and maybe Max was unhappy but over the years I’ve seen their bond grow stronger.

She waits for him refusing to go on a walk without her bestie. When she hurt her paw a few months ago, he was right there worried about her and licking her. He calms her anxiety at the groomers so we request they be put in the same kennel together.

Just my opinion, but I also think this breed is highly social and intelligent so whereas Max used to sit and paw at me under my desk to entertain him, he now has a 24/7 buddy.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
Although two dogs may be best buddies, there is a pretty good chance that may not happen. Therefore, I would be prepared for that and go into this not expecting that to happen. I would also never get a second dog to alleviate guilt when leaving them. Aside from extra work for two dogs, I would be prepared that finding someone to care for two dogs when you need it may be more difficult than one.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Although two dogs may be best buddies, there is a pretty good chance that may not happen. Therefore, I would be prepared for that and go into this not expecting that to happen. I would also never get a second dog to alleviate guilt when leaving them. Aside from extra work for two dogs, I would be prepared that finding someone to care for two dogs when you need it may be more difficult than one.
THIS!!!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi! I put in a vote for having two. They are so cute and pretty entertaining to watch together. It brings me so much joy to see them cuddled up napping or wrestling around the living room playing tug-o-war with toys daily. Also a lot less guilt when we go out of town or out a lot on busy days because they have each other.

We got Piper two years after Max. She was a puppy when we brought her home so I’m not sure how the dynamic would be with two mature dogs. All I can say is that even to this day Piper is still “the little sister” that looks to Max to see how it’s done.

In the first year or so I worried that Piper was a little too “alpha” and maybe Max was unhappy but over the years I’ve seen their bond grow stronger.

She waits for him refusing to go on a walk without her bestie. When she hurt her paw a few months ago, he was right there worried about her and licking her. He calms her anxiety at the groomers so we request they be put in the same kennel together.

Just my opinion, but I also think this breed is highly social and intelligent so whereas Max used to sit and paw at me under my desk to entertain him, he now has a 24/7 buddy.
I loved your stories about Max and Piper . What a sweet pair. I realize from the responses I’m getting that matching dogs can be complicated . Your little furbabies are obviously quite happy.
I am so glad that I asked this forum for feedback as I was approaching this commitment with the wrong perspective . I naively assumed that Emmy would love to have a 24 hr partner but did not take into consideration that she never has indicated that through her behavior. I have appreciated her just the way she is but took her to the dog nanny in case I want or need to be away from her a few days and don’t want her to be afraid. But I nevet thought about the fact that she never is relunctant to leave on the few play dates we have and how she often lets me know when time to go if we linger more than an hr.Also, I neglected considering she willnot always be a pup nor will I always be the same age or enjoy some of the physical or financial resources I can depend on today.. My dearest Emmy has been my companion through my first two yrs of the loss of my husband coupled with the pandemic and adapting to a crazy world we are all trying to navigate today. I have never lived with a dog so loving, intelligent and adaptable to my needs as well as able to bring laughter every single day. I think that we will be fine as is. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I think it’s wonderful when two Havanese do become good friends! I know chances are good that Sundance will get along with just about any second dog we get, because he does really enjoy the company of other dogs and makes dog and human friends easily. He has been left home alone with another dog by a pet sitter and does much better than when he’s left home alone by himself. Even though I know this, I still wouldn’t get a second dog for Sundance, because it doesn’t take into account the other dog or puppy. We hope to work with a breeder who is experienced in making good family matches, but there is a chance the new puppy won’t be as excited about Sundance as he is about a new puppy, and the new puppy will have its own individual personality. And there’s a chance that once a couple of weeks have passed and the novelty of a playmate has worn off, Sundance will lose interest and prefer being the center of attention. The way I look at it is, do I still want a second Havanese if it turns out I have to pay daycare/pet sitter costs for two, they don’t care about each other at all, do I have space to gate/crate/contain them separately, and can I manage the time commitment of a puppy while still making sure Sundance gets the attention he needs? For me the answer is yes, but there were some timing issues with DS and we finally decided this year was a good time. Now I’m waiting until DD has her driver’s license (which will be in just a couple of months! :)) because I’ll be able to take evening classes with Sundance and a puppy class when she can drive herself to dance/activities every day.

IMo, definitely get a second puppy if you want one! Just consider, do you still want a second puppy if it turns out they don’t become friends? If the puppy doesn’t provide her the companionship you’re hoping for, and you won’t feel regret, you should get another Havanese! I’m really looking forward to having another to bring its own individual personality to our family, I know it will be a lot of fun. But it’s also okay to enjoy just one.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
I loved your stories about Max and Piper . What a sweet pair. I realize from the responses I’m getting that matching dogs can be complicated . Your little furbabies are obviously quite happy.

I am so glad that I asked this forum for feedback as I was approaching this commitment with the wrong perspective . I naively assumed that Emmy would love to have a 24 hr partner but did not take into consideration that she never has indicated that through her behavior. I have appreciated her just the way she is but took her to the dog nanny in case I want or need to be away from her a few days and don’t want her to be afraid. But I nevet thought about the fact that she never is relunctant to leave on the few play dates we have and how she often lets me know when time to go if we linger more than an hr.Also, I neglected considering she willnot always be a pup nor will I always be the same age or enjoy some of the physical or financial resources I can depend on today.. My dearest Emmy has been my companion through my first two yrs of the loss of my husband coupled with the pandemic and adapting to a crazy world we are all trying to navigate today. I have never lived with a dog so loving, intelligent and adaptable to my needs as well as able to bring laughter every single day. I think that we will be fine as is. Thank you for your response.

I love what you have to say about your wonderful girl!!! IF you decide at some point that you want another, I am SURE you can find one that she will adapt to, and that with the help of a good breeder, you can find one that she will get along with, even if they aren't "bosom buddies". Probably the BEST way to get a congenial pair is to go back to your original breeder, because she will have a good idea of the temperament of your Emmy. If that isn't a possibility, another good breeder, with good input from you, should still be able to help you make a good match. Most Havanese adapt well to a puppy of the opposite sex. (or a boy to another boy, but in this case, that isn't what you have!)

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
I think it’s wonderful when two Havanese do become good friends! I know chances are good that Sundance will get along with just about any second dog we get, because he does really enjoy the company of other dogs and makes dog and human friends easily. He has been left home alone with another dog by a pet sitter and does much better than when he’s left home alone by himself. Even though I know this, I still wouldn’t get a second dog for Sundance, because it doesn’t take into account the other dog or puppy. We hope to work with a breeder who is experienced in making good family matches, but there is a chance the new puppy won’t be as excited about Sundance as he is about a new puppy, and the new puppy will have its own individual personality. And there’s a chance that once a couple of weeks have passed and the novelty of a playmate has worn off, Sundance will lose interest and prefer being the center of attention. The way I look at it is, do I still want a second Havanese if it turns out I have to pay daycare/pet sitter costs for two, they don’t care about each other at all, do I have space to gate/crate/contain them separately, and can I manage the time commitment of a puppy while still making sure Sundance gets the attention he needs? For me the answer is yes, but there were some timing issues with DS and we finally decided this year was a good time. Now I’m waiting until DD has her driver’s license (which will be in just a couple of months! :)) because I’ll be able to take evening classes with Sundance and a puppy class when she can drive herself to dance/activities every day.

IMo, definitely get a second puppy if you want one! Just consider, do you still want a second puppy if it turns out they don’t become friends? If the puppy doesn’t provide her the companionship you’re hoping for, and you won’t feel regret, you should get another Havanese! I’m really looking forward to having another to bring its own individual personality to our family, I know it will be a lot of fun. But it’s also okay to enjoy just one.
Certainly sounds like YOU are getting yourself closer and closer... ;)

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have raised my 18 mo old Havanese bought through a breeder from 10 wks. and am very close to her as a retired recent widow that lives aaline in my. Home.. She was the runt of the litter and she immediately chose me on my first visit. She and I walk alot in our dog friendly neighborhood ((I only have courtyard), play , learn tricks and hang out together most days with the exception of errands. She is timid but so sweet and a joy to have in my life. She likes to be around poeple although there are only a few she willnot duck and run from if they try to pet her. She adores a havanese she matches in age. I even take her to a dog “nanny” one whole day weekly at her home to have her around her cavalier and another adult . It took Emmy 6 mos. to really enjoy these outings but she now gets excited when I take her. We also completed 2 levels of obedience classes and she loved the little dogs but avoided all others. I am considering adopting a rescue Have or buy a young Have adult if I can find one as I think she would enjoy the company if the right match but although Emmy is spayed also wonder if gender would be factor. I would really appreciate input from this forum .
We got little Beau from the same breeder this January when Archie was 2.5 yrs.
They are VERY different temperamentally but after about a week of snarls and a put-out look, Archie accepted his brother. They run around together all day. It’s a joy to watch.
And to my surprise, two dogs is actually less work! Archie, who was a picky and disinterested eater, now eats at 7 am and 5 pm because that’s what Beau wants and he’s afraid Beau, who is extremely motivated by food, will take his😉
Do go to the same breeder because they will be able to try to match personalities. Beau is very much a follower so Archie remains large and in charge! I can see that if Beau had a different personality, it might be an entirely different experience.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
They are VERY different temperamentally but after about a week of snarls and a put-out look, Archie accepted his brother. They run around together all day. It’s a joy to watch.
And to my surprise, two dogs is actually less work! Archie, who was a picky and disinterested eater, now eats at 7 am and 5 pm because that’s what Beau wants and he’s afraid Beau, who is extremely motivated by food, will take his😉
Do go to the same breeder because they will be able to try to match personalities. Beau is very much a follower so Archie remains large and in charge! I can see that if Beau had a different personality, it might be an entirely different experience.
I think having two dogs can be wonderful, however I do not see how two dogs can be less work. Havanese need to be groomed even if in a puppy cut. Nails and paw pads are often neglected. So that means more time or more expense. Dogs get old and can get sick. Veterinary care is not cheap. Teeth cleaning is expensive. Getting a second dog should not be necessary to fix a picky eater. All this being said, getting a second dog can be worth it. However, it is important to realize the pros and cons and realize that the puppy and young adult stage does not last forever. Good to go into it with eyes wide open.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think having two dogs can be wonderful, however I do not see how two dogs can be less work. Havanese need to be groomed even if in a puppy cut. Nails and paw pads are often neglected. So that means more time or more expense. Dogs get old and can get sick. Veterinary care is not cheap. Teeth cleaning is expensive. Getting a second dog should not be necessary to fix a picky eater. All this being said, getting a second dog can be worth it. However, it is important to realize the pros and cons and realize that the puppy and young adult stage does not last forever. Good to go into it with eyes wide open.
All true, of course. Expense aside, the combination of these two, day to day, is definitely easier than Archie alone. And Archie eating with Beau at regular times is a bonus!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
All true, of course. Expense aside, the combination of these two, day to day, is definitely easier than Archie alone. And Archie eating with Beau at regular times is a bonus!
My two dogs have been great. I have no regrets. However, I have not found my two to be less work. Still worth it though. I am not sure how two can be less work unless maybe they play together a lot so the owner’s time is freed up. I would be curious as to what else would cause two to be less work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My two dogs have been great. I have no regrets. However, I have not found my two to be less work. Still worth it though. I am not sure how two can be less work unless maybe they play together a lot so the owner’s time is freed up. I would be curious as to what else would cause two to be less work.
We’ve never had a dog before so Archie is our only frame of reference. We could see he was an independent soul with “selective listening” who was not motivated in the least by food. When we brought Beau home and saw the gusto with which he ate his food, we knew he was different. Within a day he had learned to “sit” and “wait” for his treat while Archie took his first. Archie is anxious by nature, with massive separation anxiety. Having Beau around to lead has calmed him and I think made him happier. So yes, it is less work AND worry.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
We’ve never had a dog before so Archie is our only frame of reference. We could see he was an independent soul with “selective listening” who was not motivated in the least by food. When we brought Beau home and saw the gusto with which he ate his food, we knew he was different. Within a day he had learned to “sit” and “wait” for his treat while Archie took his first. Archie is anxious by nature, with massive separation anxiety. Having Beau around to lead has calmed him and I think made him happier. So yes, it is less work AND worry.
I did not realize that Archie has separation anxiety. I am very glad that Beau is helping. Getting a second dog does not always mean that it will fix separation anxiety. I am glad it worked for you but I sincerely hope that other people do not get a second dog thinking that this will fix separation anxiety or picky eating, or any other problems the first dog may have. It is wonderful if it helps but not a guarantee.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That’s great advice about the breeder. She was really helpful in my decision to choose Emmy. And I love the food story.Thank you.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts