Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone. Rarely do i post here, but thought i would to on this topic.

So like Catharine, we got our Luca from the same breeder when Bella was 2.5 year old. Rarely have we ever had only one dog. And if we did, is was for maybe a year. (note, these are dogs 7 & 8 for us).

Some of you will disagree with me (based on your posts) that two dogs are easier than one. But this is our experience (and your experience may vary).

Why is it easier? starting with puppyhood, the older dog helps with the training, the socialization, and teaching the rules to the new dog. The two dogs will form a bond and are there for one another; in play, companionship, and protection.

Yes, you will spend more time with your dogs (for example, combing / brushing). But is that a bad thing? Not for me!

Mostly importantly ... if you have two, you will have double the joy in your heart.

cheers,
peter

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
I don’t think anyone here is saying that getting a second dog is a bad thing. I was trying to say that getting a second dog to alleviate psychological problems of the first one is risky and may backfire. And getting a second dog to alleviate guilt at leaving them alone does not really make sense since two should never be left alone any longer than one. I also think that people should not feel guilty if they do not want a dog for whatever reason such as time or money. I also think a single dog can be just as happy. I don’t think the wonderful single dogs on this forum like Sundance, Shama and Perry are any less happy than dogs who are in multi dog households. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I sometimes feel that people who are happy and content with a single dog are shamed into thinking they are somehow being cruel and selfish by only having one. And I really believe that these single dogs are just as happy.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
I don’t think anyone here is saying that getting a second dog is a bad thing. I was trying to say that getting a second dog to alleviate psychological problems of the first one is risky and may backfire. And getting a second dog to alleviate guilt at leaving them alone does not really make sense since two should never be left alone any longer than one. I also think that people should not feel guilty if they do not want a dog for whatever reason such as time or money. I also think a single dog can be just as happy. I don’t think the wonderful single dogs on this forum like Sundance, Shama and Perry are any less happy than dogs who are in multi dog households. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I sometimes feel that people who are happy and content with a single dog are shamed into thinking they are somehow being cruel and selfish by only having one. And I really believe that these single dogs are just as happy.
Exactly!!! We LOVE our multiple Havanese, and I wouldn’t want to give up even ONE of them!!! But I am absolutely CERTAIN that Kodi was just as happy as our one and only! ❤

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
Exactly!!! We LOVE our multiple Havanese, and I wouldn’t want to give up even ONE of them!!! But I am absolutely CERTAIN that Kodi was just as happy as our one and only! ❤
Same here. I love both my dogs but I am sure each would be happy alone. I know so many wonderful well adjusted “only” dogs that are living the good life with their owners all to themself!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I am sure that if we decided to get a second one, knowing how he feels about other dogs right now, Perry would learn to cope, but getting one wouldn't be for him, it would be for me. I did want a second one for a long time - but then after moving back to the US and dealing with having a second one most of the day with us (my Mom's scotty), not having my Mom around to watch Perry when needed, and our lifestyle made me realize that we were better off with just one - much easier to "sneak" one in their bag into a restaurant when we're traveling or to take on flights (some airlines only allow 1 per cabin or have other restrictions - for example, not allowing 2 dogs to sit side by side) - so a combination of knowing that Perry is happier alone and our lifestyle means that we're going to be a one dog household for a while at least.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone. Rarely do i post here, but thought i would to on this topic.

So like Catharine, we got our Luca from the same breeder when Bella was 2.5 year old. Rarely have we ever had only one dog. And if we did, is was for maybe a year. (note, these are dogs 7 & 8 for us).

Some of you will disagree with me (based on your posts) that two dogs are easier than one. But this is our experience (and your experience may vary).

Why is it easier? starting with puppyhood, the older dog helps with the training, the socialization, and teaching the rules to the new dog. The two dogs will form a bond and are there for one another; in play, companionship, and protection.

Yes, you will spend more time with your dogs (for example, combing / brushing). But is that a bad thing? Not for me!

Mostly importantly ... if you have two, you will have double the joy in your heart.

cheers,
peter
In our case, the new pup trained the elder. Archie now eats on a regular schedule because he know Beau wants his food😂

·
Registered
20 Posts
My elder dog does not have “psychological problems”. We got a second dog because we wanted two.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
My elder dog does not have “psychological problems”. We got a second dog because we wanted two.
I did not say your dog had psychological problems. If you got another dog because you wanted one then that is awesome. Some dogs do have very bad separation anxiety and owners get a second dog trying to fix it.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am sure that if we decided to get a second one, knowing how he feels about other dogs right now, Perry would learn to cope, but getting one wouldn't be for him, it would be for me. I did want a second one for a long time - but then after moving back to the US and dealing with having a second one most of the day with us (my Mom's scotty), not having my Mom around to watch Perry when needed, and our lifestyle made me realize that we were better off with just one - much easier to "sneak" one in their bag into a restaurant when we're traveling or to take on flights (some airlines only allow 1 per cabin or have other restrictions - for example, not allowing 2 dogs to sit side by side) - so a combination of knowing that Perry is happier alone and our lifestyle means that we're going to be a one dog household for a while at least.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
More excellent input. I didn’t realize my question would create such a lively discussion but want to think each of you for giving me so much to think about. I do understand what this has to be such an individual decision as to make the right one requires me to focus on both the unique needs of my dog as well as my lifestyle . I am so thankful to this forum and your willingness to share your wisdom about these dear little fur babies.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
In our case, the new pup trained the elder. Archie now eats on a regular schedule because he know Beau wants his food😂
It is true that "fussy eating" stops when you have multiples!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
Dogs are very competitive when it comes to food. Having multiple dogs is definitely a perk for getting picky eaters to be less picky. However, it also means that multiple dogs may each require a safe haven to eat their food to avoid food fights, double dipping or creation of gulpers. Not a big deal, but something to think about with multiple dogs. I learned this the hard way after my yorkie stole Mia’s entire dinner one time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just brought my second Havanese into my home, other than going back to potty training (nightly trips) to the potty pad:) Honestly, I don’t regret my decision. My first Winston is 17months and Willow is 3months at first it was an adjustment but Winston is learning how to play properly with his little sister. I did hire a trainer to help with the process due to the fact that what ever Winston does Willow will follow, even BAD habits.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dogs are very competitive when it comes to food. Having multiple dogs is definitely a perk for getting picky eaters to be less picky. However, it also means that multiple dogs may each require a safe haven to eat their food to avoid food fights, double dipping or creation of gulpers. Not a big deal, but something to think about with multiple dogs. I learned this the hard way after my yorkie stole Mia’s entire dinner one time.
I’ve taught Beau to “wait” while Archie eats. He leaves him to eat slowly, in piece😉

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
I’ve taught Beau to “wait” while Archie eats. He leaves him to eat slowly, in piece😉
I have seen where people make all their dogs wait until all are served and then they all eat at once. I have not seen where one waits for the other to finish, however whatever works so the other one can eat in peace is good.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
For sure. I believe that all dogs should feel safe while eating. Mine all have their own crates to eat in! (Ducky eats in his trolley, which is on a different wall)
Plant Property Houseplant Flowerpot Table

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
OMG they’re adorable in their little custom crates! ❤
They aren't custom! They are just pretty... They come from Wayfair!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
21 - 40 of 45 Posts