Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Sherman's Mom, Carol
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) What's up with that corded Havanese in the Westminster Kennel Club show last night? My 8-month-old puppy can look corded 2 minutes after he's brushed, but I didn't know it was a desirable look for a show dog. You couldn't even see the poor dog's face. It looked like he was covered in straw. Not a good look in my opinion. Even fluffy Havanese dogs never seem to do well in dog shows. What's the deal? Why do the judges always pick those bald freaky looking poodles?

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
I must agree, I was not impressed with the corded Havanese, but I didn't see the other Havanese dogs entered either. But I know Havanese dogs are a very attractive dog, with beautiful coloring. If the other toy breeds get to have bows in there hair, can the Havanese breed also? I like them with their bangs pulled back so you can see their beautiful eyes.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
There's no doubt the corded hav is it's own look,but I thought he was very cute!He looked all "messy and playful",just like they look most of the time!I also get very frustrated with the judges...it ALWAYS seem to be a poodle.Poodles are showy,but give it to someone else for a change!:mad:
I did see the other havs on the westminster site,and they all were very pretty dogs......not sure what the judge thought sending out what looked like the only corded one.The video is so short,you have to see it at least 3-4 times to get an idea.I waited hours and hours to see that video,and was disappointed it wasn't more thorough......oh well,at least we got to get a glimpse at show life!:cool:

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Julie, Did you see the actuall judging of all the Havanese?? Cause the video i say was 5-10 minutes long?? All the dog, especially Stogie, were beautiful!

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
no.......it was just a quick clip of them entering the ring......what did I wrong?

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Julie, I am going to go on the website to walk thru what I did to see the whole scoring.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Julie, go to the website & click on videos, then pick 2007 breed judging video Day 1 -- then go down the list of dogs & click on havanese.
on the left you will see a commerical for Purina, while it is going on, go to the right & scroll down the names of dogs, and then click on havanese. Try during the commercial & right after it ends. Then the vidoe should come up.
Let me know how you make out.
Laurie

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,356 Posts
I didn't care much for the corded Hav and have no idea why the judge picked him vs. the other Havs. I think Stogie is a thousand times better looking and I also saw other Havs in the ring (on the clip) that I liked much better. I guess the big shows are really politica and a lot depends on who handles the dog as well.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I was ringside at Westminster yesteday for the Hav judging. Personally, I don't care for the corded and have seen her dogs at other shows also. All the dogs were sooooo beautiful and looked like they were having fun. Stogie is a handsome dog, even better than his pics. There was a pup in the ring from Peekaboo Havanese, which is where Kodi's sire is from. I could never be a judge, because I think they all deserve BOB!
PS- if you get to watch the video and are curious to see me, look behind the judges table. I have red hair and am wearing a brown turtleneck sweater holding a book.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Irnfit: Do they judge the dogs in catalog order? There was a dog near the end of the video that really looked like Sam. I backed up the video many times but could see the arm band of the Handler. The dog after I could read the arm band "17". I would love to know who the dog is. I am not familiar with the handlers and owners faces so I don't who the dog belonged to. Any ideas? Anyone?

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I saw Stogie and he was beautiful :) I even saw my breeder handling one of ther dogs #17 Flirt in a Skirt. Martha Stewart was there, and I could not believe the number of entries and spectators!! Wow.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Well,hours later I got to see the ENTIRE judging...I have dial up,and waited what seemed like forever last night,to just see perhaps 30sec.of video.Now that I have gotten to see all the havs,I also would not have picked either one of the corded havs.They were all so pretty,I would have wanted to bring almost all of them home with me....but seriously...there were a few "uglies"in there(at least in my world).:rolleyes: I guess that's why we aren't judges,right?LOL!:D

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Personally, I am not a fan of the corded look. That would definately be a "show" do because it just looks so high maintenance. Personally, I like all havs with a natural coat. There were many beautiful havs at Westminster that looked like they represented the breed well. But then again, I am just a pet owner and I know nothing about what to look for in that standard. That's just my 2 cents ;)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
JULIE
Just to let you know that the video showing is not the entire judging. There were 38 Havs to be judged and it started at 9:45 am. I left ringside at 11:10, when the judging ended. What you see in the video is actually just the final judging - the dogs that the judges selected from the original 38. From these remaining dogs, he pulled out more dogs, narrowing the field. Then he chooses BOB, BOS and the AOM.
Hope this helps a little. It was my first time there, and I learned a lot.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Debbie,
In the video, this is not in catalog order, because these are the dogs that have already been pulled. They are in #order, so I'll see if I can find the name for you in the program.
Michele

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
"PS- if you get to watch the video and are curious to see me, look behind the judges table. I have red hair and am wearing a brown turtleneck sweater holding a book."

*** Hey, I see you there!! Cool! Nice to 'meet' you Michele. LOL ;)

Wow, talk about having a front row seat!! Lucky you.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Debbie, I tried to figure out which dog it was, but I can't read the #. Even at ringside, it was hard to see the #, because of the angle. It was a great spot to see the dogs, though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Note - at the beginning of the video, the 4th handler is the owner of my
Kodi's sire.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
RedHeadedGator
Westminsterkennelclub.com - click on video, toy group, havanese

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
PS- if you get to watch the video and are curious to see me, look behind the judges table. I have red hair and am wearing a brown turtleneck sweater holding a book.
Wow Michele. You had a great spot to see the Havs!!!!!!! I am envious.:) It looks like it was lots of fun.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts