Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi~
I am very interested in the menu for the homecooked diet that you have your boys on. What is a typical day's menu? Do you rotate it every day, every couple of days? Do they get any other type of suppliment or just the homecooked? Do you make it ahead of time or do you prepare it when it's time for them to eat? Do they eat veggies/fruits or is it mainly meat? Sorry for so many questions!
I have a very picky dog, and another one who is prone to itchy skin. I tried to switch them to Natures Variety w/ some frozen raw. It doesn't seem to be helping. (the picky one won't even touch it! grrrr). I think I remember reading that you said the food really helped your older dog in it's last years~ I would love to hear more about your homecooked diet!

Thanks~
Katie

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried all types of processed food, dry and wet until I began to prepare food myself.

Teddy's basic diet consists of either a roasted or boiled chicken, brown rice and frozen mixed vegies. I chop the chicken up into bite sized pieces and mix it all together. Half goes into the freezer until needed. This will last me at least two full weeks of feeding. I will at times add in grilled beef or lamb or broiled chicken hearts and gizzards for a change.

If he gets bored with this (very infrequently) I get a pound container of chopped chicken liver at my supermarkets deli counter and add a tablespoon of it into his meal.

I always warm the food in a microwave before feeding. I have been known to fill a bowl and warm it up for myself it tates so good.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Teddy,
Sounds yummy. Can my dogs come to your house for dinner? I have the same problem. They are very picky. And when I see some of the ingredients on the better foods, I could make a lot more of it for a lot less. I have been adding liver lately, because they like the taste.

I live in Lynbrook. Where are you?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Not too far, Teddy. I used to work at NSAL, so I am familiar with the area. Also, my hubby has been in St. Francis a few times :(

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I am not ignoring you about the recipie . I put it in one other thread but I will get it to you soon .
I have gone down the bunny hole for a few days .
It takes a while to type it out but basically the ingredients are chicken celery sweet potato yukon gold potatoes yellow squash and zucchini sometimes carrots - they do not digest too well and sometimes i add rice but i did not add it in the beggining . I waited to see what they could tolerate and then would add something else ..
I make a big pot and with two dogs it lasts about 4 days for two meals /
I will be back with how it is prepared later today
gotta run ..

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
Yes Thanks so much Kimberly - it does save a lot of typing .
I am sure you might think celery is odd but they like it and dogs cannot eat onion
I have revised the diet over time as it started out with fish and sweet potatoes & veggies . Cosmo did not eat it that often and he smelled like fish all the time .
I found the chicken veggie diet to be the one they liked the best and even though it is labor intensive . (I am going to try using a crock pot and see how that goes .)
Lots of chopping - I tried using a cuisinart but the consistency is not good .
The dogs love the chicken stew formula and they eat it up so quickly .
Twice a week I add yogurt - Plain - no sugar so no yoplait .
I do not usually freeze it but today I was traveling so I froze two batches so I would have food when I arrived at my destination . It was a great idea as we have food for today and tomorrow and it did not thaw out ..
My German shorthair ate a different formual - popular at the time . It had oats and cabbage and carrots and ground turkey . Eventually he could not tolerate the oats so we moved on to on a mashed potato and ground chicken and turkey . He loved Yukon Gold mashed potatoes and did well on them . I would add chicken broth to the potatoes instead of milk . He gobbled it up . :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I use only fresh food . Corn is not good as it is gentically altered and it is high in sugar / A lot of dogs ae sensitive to corn .
Peas also are high in sugar but I do not see a problem with adding a handful of frozen to see how they do and if they like it .
Green beans are supposed to be good . I did use canned and Cosmo did not like them . I will have to try the fresh ones .
I am a little bit on a rut as they seem happy with what they are getting so I have not introduce new stuff .
I though cabbage was odd but Griffin liked it . It did not make him gasy ether but I always used prozyme in his food ..

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain how you make it for your boys.
You know, with all the dog food recalls, there is alot of information online all of a sudden about homecooked meals for dogs. I find it all so interesting!! Everyone has a different way of doing it, using different ingredients etc. I imagine it's like dry kibble, everyone uses a different type according to what works for their dogs.
I happen to give my picky girl some meatballs and veggies the other night and she gobbled them up! I am sure my crew would love it if I cooked for them. I may just have to give it a try~ I just worry about making sure they are getting a well balanced diet.
Do you ever give your dogs bones? I remember reading that some of people who feed raw give bones (not cooked of course) to help with calcium~ or is the yogurt enough for that?
Thanks again for taking time to get back to me!
Katie

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yes
I know there are a lot of different ideas and recipies . I tried a lot of different things but this is what he likes to eat he will eat it and he seems to digest it well except the carrots . Sometimes he will pick them out sometimes he will eat them .. These dogs are amazing to watch .. My shorthair just ate it period ..
I tried different kibble and high end canned foods but Cosmo just did not tolerate them well . The other thing was he was just so fussy he would just walk away from it and not eat ... I have so many cans of stuff he would eat once and then never touch again . This Cosmo eats and he and Ahnold always lick the bowls clean .
They have lots of energy and love their walks ..
The new vet I go to strongly suggested homecooked . I did not want to do the raw - (again it is quality control )even though I know it is the in thing . She had concerns about it as well . I wanted him to be healthy and happy so I gave it a try and the difference in about a month was amazing . He was more alert and his coat looked so much better
Every dog is different so you can be creative using turkey chicken and salmon and whitefish even lamb as your protein . I tried Venison he could not tolerate it . Some people used beef and hamburger but if so I advise you to buy hormone free or grind your own beef . You would not believe what they put in hamburger - you do not want to eat it and neither should your dog .. They used to feed lamb and rice but dogs became sensitive to it as it was overused again ..
The important thing is that you dog is thriving on what it eats and does not have some of these symptons diarrhea runny poop ,vomiting itchiness , scratching ,low energy , restlessness and irritability ..

You want to make sure that he is not getting wheat , corn , white flour and all those flavor enchancers and additives and preservatives .
I notice on the labels it seems they are now adding anything they think is in and maybe we will think it is healthy and buy it always a buzz word such as flax seed oil is good, and the omega oils . You do not know the source and some of these oils can be rancid .
Also some of the products used can be old and mouldy and the dog reacts to the mould ..
Amyway just more food for thought ..

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I couldn't agree with you more. I am sure it's all trial and error to see what works for your particular dog.
I too am a little leary of the full raw diet. I have two young kids and I just can't risk e-coli or bacteria on the floor that they are constantly playing on. I do give my dogs raw medalions from Natures Variety a few times a week, more as a snack. I would never rely on it as their only source of food. I feed it to them on a fork so the raw never touches my hands, or the ground. I don't give them any bones or chicken necks or anything like that. Yuck!
Thanks again for taking the time to explain how you do it. I may just give it a try~

·
Susan
4,063 Posts
Katie,
If you decide to try it let me know how it goes. I've decided I do not want to go the raw route right now but home cooking we could do. I'm all for whatever is healthiest for my dogs. I wonder if Sedona would lose weight more easily on a home cooked diet.

I'm not sure I'd try it for my cat as she's 8 years old and even switching kibble is a bit difficult with her.

Susan

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Since I am computer dumb and can't figure out how to post a new thread, I am putting information here. This is a great web site full of information for the dog lover. Today though, they have the latest list of dog foods that are NOT effected by the recent recall. I thought you all would like to see the list as of today.

Click here: The PetsitUSA.com Blog » Pet Foods NOT on recall list
www.petsitusa.com

They also have a forum for homemade dog food.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Some new information
I went to a pet food store here in the desert- Bones & Scones . Yep they bake scones for the doggies .. They also have a doggie bakery that makes carrot cake !! We love our dogs here in Ca ..
I found a dog food there called Dr Harveys - all natural - it came highly recommended - you add it to your cooked chicken etc - all veggies and herbs . I have not tried it as yet but I am going to give it a try as I need something when I travel or I run out .
They have one with mostly veggies and one that has oats . It is made in New Jersey ..
I am going to check his web site . .

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
There is a company in Manhattan - The Healthy Pet Gourmet. They make a line of dog food using people food. I am getting samples. The food is cooked and frozen and then it can be shipped. If you live in Manhattan, they deliver.

If they eat this, I am going to try making my own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts