Havanese Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to buy a lead for our conformation class.. and the one the 'teacher' is recommending is actually a small chain on a lead. (looks kind of like a choke chain- I *think* she called it a english lead?)

Would a kindness lead work for the training class, or do I need something better? Is there something better?

My husband wants me to give him a estimate of how much showing is going to cost... is there anywhere to get a basic estimate? (Assuming we show fairly locally- for now ;) )
I know we need to buy a lot, although, I don't have an exact list yet. (I know grooming table, expen, crate, brush, comb, I know I'm missing a ton!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I would get a slip lead not a choke type chain, it will pull the coat. As for the cost, well, I would say plan on at least $2000.00 minimum if you are showing the dog yourself. That doesn't include gas, food, lodgeing and those kinds of expenses. Entry fee's per show average $25.00, but can be less for puppies uner 12 months with some kennel clubs.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
I think the cost of showing will depend on your goals. You will need a place to groom, brushes, combs, leashes, collars, crate, and maybe x-pen whether you show or not. So I wouldn't add these to the cost of showing. These are cost of owning a Hav. If you just want to have fun with your dog and pick the shows that are close to you the cost will be minimal. If you want to get a champion title then special your dog, costs are never ending. I show my Sam for fun. If he wins that is a bonus. My goal is fun. Hope this helps.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Debbie~ I already have most of that stuff, minus the grooming table, so that helps.

I am really just in it for fun, and to make sure that Princess is truly a good example of the Havanese breed.

I do not plan on travelling extensively to show her... I'm hoping to do fairly local to here (within say 4hrs) and I'm pretty lucky to be centrally located, and I know there's at least 5 different areas here locally (well, within my 4hr range) that hold shows. I am also in Chicago often, so I hope to plan my trips around shows. (Just don't plan on telling hubby that's the reason for the trip to his sisters. lol)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I need some advice on the best ring-side grooming table. What kind and where to get it? Also, on grooming, my dog is 14 mos. I'm pretty sure he's still blowing coat. His ends are so fly-away, almost frizzy. Can you trim like
1/4 inch or so and get away with showing? Do I try to just use products to calm it down? HE has a very thick coat. He's more fluffy than silky. It seems like the judges like silky. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks! Tracey

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Tracy,
You are NOT allowed to trim his coat at all if you are showing him, so don't do that. Do you brush and blow dry at the same time? If not, that might help some. There are lot's of products on the market to calm the coat, those might help.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Do you mist his coat when you brush him? A spray bottle of water and conditioner will help with the fly aways. I use 1 part conditoner to 10 parts water. I don't take a table with me to the shows. I bath and brush the day before and a quick brush (on the floor) before he goes in the ring. I was told they should not be over groomed, but should look like they just fell out of bed.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
We only show our dogs close to home (as in 2 hours away) too. Actually Pam does most of the showing but if we are showing 2 dogs on one day and they both have to go back in I'll take one. We've never specialed a dog or used a handler.

Here's the breakdown of our last weekend showing Razzle in Va. Beach which is about 2 hours away. She showed on Sat. and Sun. We drove there Sat. morning and spent Saturday night.

gas for car $26
offseason room on the ocean $55
entry fees $50 (around that)
meals $125 (estimate-we had fun)
letting Razzle romp on the beach after getting 2 Majors and 8 points-----priceless

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Congratuation on a job well done!!!! All so priceless.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Love your breakdown, Tom! Congrats to you and Razzle as well!! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
As far as cost of showing, I think I paid around $ 2,500 for all my dogs showing. Mia finished her Championship March 3rd. I used a professional handler, but would bring her home between shows. We showed once or twice a month so I made a lot of 75 mile one way trips to pick up my baby. Sometimes my husband and I would go to the show on Sunday and bring her home. It was a great experience and sooo exciting! Go for it!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
fiveeyes:

Welcome and Congratulation on Mia finishing her Championship.:) :)

I don't know if my Sam will ever get him championship, there are so few Havanese's here, the last show Sam came in second out of two.LOL I handle him myself. Its lots of fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts