Havanese Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone -- we are getting our puppy in 3 weeks (going to visit in 1 week!). We are planning on having an ex-pen in our kitchen set up as recommended here on the forum with a crate, litter box and water bowl. We have been doing much research on short term and long term confinement and have a question that I couldn't find an answer to doing a search.

We understand that the crate should be used for short term and the ex-pen for long term with the crate door open. For short term, do you take the crate out of the ex-pen or do you leave the crate in and close the crate door?

Thanks very much!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Hello everyone -- we are getting our puppy in 3 weeks (going to visit in 1 week!). We are planning on having an ex-pen in our kitchen set up as recommended here on the forum with a crate, litter box and water bowl. We have been doing much research on short term and long term confinement and have a question that I couldn't find an answer to doing a search.

We understand that the crate should be used for short term and the ex-pen for long term with the crate door open. For short term, do you take the crate out of the ex-pen or do you leave the crate in and close the crate door?

Thanks very much!
I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Normally I use the crate overnight for my puppies, so I have their crate in our bedroom. I also have a travel crate in may care, and a folding crate that I use for lessons or travel. I do not use a crate in their ex-pen.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I move the crate into my bedroom at night. That's pretty much the only time my puppy is in her crate (overnight bedtime). During the day I move the crate back to the ex-pen (which is in the living room) bc I like to give her the option of sleeping in her comfy crate when she's in her ex-pen. She mostly ignores it during the day though and prefers sleeping on the floor lol. She does like to bury bully sticks or other special treats in her crate during the day though, so I guess it has some use to her haha.

When we leave the house to run an errand or get coffee or something we keep her in the ex-pen with toys, water, her crate, and litter box.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mando only uses his crate at night. I have to remove his crate from his pen as soon as I let him out in the morning or else he climbs on top of his crate to escape his pen. That might not be an issue for others that use a wire crate as an “annex” connected to their pen but we use a plastic crate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I guess one thought we had was to use a bed or other sleeping surface in the ex pen and a crate outside the ex pen. But are we better off in the beginning to use the crate as the sleeping/lounging spot all the time to get the puppy to “love” the crate? 1st time dog owners here. Also know that some of these pups will destroy a bed, so that may not be the best option.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think each puppy is really different and you'll need to see where he gets the best sleep/what's going to work best for you - my new puppy Bentley (3mos) HATES the ex-pen. He screams whenever we put him in it, no matter how tired he is, and doesn't stop no matter how long we ignore him. He is a VERY vocal puppy, but we have found that there is too much stimulation around the pen and he hates being in it when he can see everything going on around him. We do have two other havs, so that may be part of it though. We use his crate for naps during the day, overnight, and anytime we need him to settle down. He loves his crate and is extremely happy (it's his little den and feels really safe to him) and he sleeps really well in it. We have a plastic crate and we've always found that they work much better (or the wire crates with a cover). As far as a bed - that's been hit or miss for Bentley. He prefers to sleep stretched out on the floor or burrowed under the bed (never in the actual bed). If he's in his hyper mood he also will start to dig/bite at the bed and we just take it away until he's calmed down. Each puppy is different though - my two older havs adore beds!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I guess one thought we had was to use a bed or other sleeping surface in the ex pen and a crate outside the ex pen. But are we better off in the beginning to use the crate as the sleeping/lounging spot all the time to get the puppy to “love” the crate? 1st time dog owners here. Also know that some of these pups will destroy a bed, so that may not be the best option.
I think that depends on the puppy. Kodi lost all “nice beds” until he was over 2 years old after he ate several. He slept on old towels. LOL! The girls always had pretty, fluffy beds because THEY took CARE of their things! LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
I think each puppy is really different and you'll need to see where he gets the best sleep/what's going to work best for you - my new puppy Bentley (3mos) HATES the ex-pen. He screams whenever we put him in it, no matter how tired he is, and doesn't stop no matter how long we ignore him. He is a VERY vocal puppy, but we have found that there is too much stimulation around the pen and he hates being in it when he can see everything going on around him. We do have two other havs, so that may be part of it though. We use his crate for naps during the day, overnight, and anytime we need him to settle down. He loves his crate and is extremely happy (it's his little den and feels really safe to him) and he sleeps really well in it. We have a plastic crate and we've always found that they work much better (or the wire crates with a cover). As far as a bed - that's been hit or miss for Bentley. He prefers to sleep stretched out on the floor or burrowed under the bed (never in the actual bed). If he's in his hyper mood he also will start to dig/bite at the bed and we just take it away until he's calmed down. Each puppy is different though - my two older havs adore beds!
Very good point. To a great extent, you need to let the individual puppy guide you in areas where it doesn’t make a difference to you. Put your foot down in the places where it does make a difference! And as for the sprawling... yeah. It seems to be a Havanese thing, and it starts very early. They seem to ooze out of beds! LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Thanks everyone. I guess we'll see how it goes and modify if necessary. It seems there is more than one way to approach this, which is good! BTW, super cute puppies Karen!
Yes! The more flexible you can be with your initial setup the better. Anything that can be repurposed, like folding expens that can be reconfigured, are helpful. Particularly where you’re first time dog owners (we were too) you might find that things like where you want the expen or how you use it change as you figure out what works best for you (we changed a lot). The key to whatever setup you decide on is to start small.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
It does definitely depend on personality of the pup and your preference. I didn't have Perry as a puppy - got him as a rescue at 8 months old. He's now 5. I tried the ex-pen when we weren't with him, but he was a terror and so it got put away. He stays in a crate when we're not with him (though I am thinking of trying a small area gated off if we live in a place where that's possible or if he has to be alone for longer periods of time.) He sleeps in his crate in the bedroom at night. Unlike Kodi, he has never gotten a "nice" bed or mat back for his crate because he will destroy it - though he's fine with the one that's out in the house - hasn't destroyed that one. I sometimes will put a towel or old blanket in the crate, but often won't because he tends to bunch it up in the front under his water bottle, usually draining the whole bottle into the blanket.

He's not a huge fan of his crate so I have also had to stop covering it when we're gone because he gets angry and pulls the cover in through the tiny opening in the crate door. Once he pulled it in so far and so hard it took me over 1/2 hour to dislodge it - and it was covered with little specks of blood (presumably from his mouth/ teeth)!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Don’t JUST look at the materials pens are made of and “eye appeal”. All the different tupes of pens have different length sections, meaning they may fit your space better or not so well. I have Midwest (wire), tubular steel and Iris pens here, so will give you the panel lengths of those. With the sectional ones, (I know from past experience!) that if your old piece of vinyl was cut to fit the panels of a Midwest style pen, it doesn’t work well with an Iris or tubular steel one! (Not putting a brand on the tubular steel, because there are a bunch of brands, and I’m not sure what mine is) These dimensions are for the LENGTH of each panel. Most pens are available in varying heights, though I’m not sure that is true of the Iris, since that is really a baby product, repurposed by dog people.

Midwest (and other wire pens) - 24” panels
Tubular steel - 31” panels
Iris - 35” panels

other things to consider...

The wire types have the panels permanently attached together. You can fold them in different configurations, but you can’t (easily) take them apart and put them back together. The Iris and tubular steel ones have pin hinges, and are meant to come apart at each section, so you can configure them with as many or as few sections as you want.

The wire types are the cheapest, but also the most flimsy, and the most easily moved by a puppy. They will need reinforcement. I zip-tie dowels across the joints and angle irons to the corners. (I do that for all types of pens)

The tubular steel ones CAN be a problem if an over-excited puppy jumps up and gets a paw stuck between the panels. So you need to fill that slot with something as the puppy gets taller. An old rolled up sock or a piece of pool noodle works fine.

Iris pens are the “prettiest”, and they are very light weight to move around. But they are flimsy, easily pushed around, can be chewed on. So it depends on your puppy. I use them for temporary containment; for instance, in the back yard. I do NOT leave older puppies in them unattended. YMMV.

The other thing I don’t like about the Iris pen is that the “door” is a low arch built into the bottom of the panel. What good is that?!?! No HUMAN can walk through it! And if you WANT the puppy, I can’t imagine many puppies having a super recall at that age. That means that unless you have long legs, you need to un-pin a corner to walk in... meaning you are now letting the puppy out. Both the metal pens have a “human” gate with a good-sized lip, allowing you to step over, while keeping the puppy in the pen. I think the door in Iris is pretty useless, personally. It also comes not-assembled, so you have to assemble lots of little screws and hinges to be able to even USE that panel, whether you intend to bother with the “door” or not.

I would suggest either the Midwest style or the tubular steel type for most puppy owners. The Midwest type is certainly the most economical, and I own 4. I don’t regret it! I use them in a lot of different ways!

I personally really like the tubular steel for a long-term set-up for a puppy growing up, if it fits your space. It looks very nice, it stays put and is easy to work with. Just fill those gaps!

Iris pens are great for short term confinement and moving around. Some people use them as their only type of ex-pen. They are lucky to have a puppy who is not a big chewer or industrious about moving it around!

Yes! The more flexible you can be with your initial setup the better. Anything that can be repurposed, like folding expens that can be reconfigured, are helpful. Particularly where you’re first time dog owners (we were too) you might find that things like where you want the expen or how you use it change as you figure out what works best for you (we changed a lot). The key to whatever setup you decide on is to start small.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Unlike Kodi, he has never gotten a "nice" bed or mat back for his crate because he will destroy it - though he's fine with the one that's out in the house - hasn't destroyed that one.
LOL! He’s still young! Give him time! :ROFLMAO: Kodi was a crate pad destroyer for a LONG time! I can’t tell you how many pads I have with JUST a CORNER chewed off!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
LOL! He’s still young! Give him time! :ROFLMAO: Kodi was a crate pad destroyer for a LONG time! I can’t tell you how many pads I have with JUST a CORNER chewed off!
LOL. When he's out of his crate he prefers to chew the ears/ feet off of his toys rather than his bed ;) I don't anticipate being able to put a crate pad in for a long time or ever though. Even the blankets/ towels get gnawed on regularly. Mostly he just sleeps in his crate without a pad or blanket. Given how he bunches them in the front of the crate (when he has one) and sleeps in the back I think he prefers the cool plastic to the blanket anyway.

·
Registered
268 Posts
LOL. When he's out of his crate he prefers to chew the ears/ feet off of his toys rather than his bed ;) I don't anticipate being able to put a crate pad in for a long time or ever though. Even the blankets/ towels get gnawed on regularly. Mostly he just sleeps in his crate without a pad or blanket. Given how he bunches them in the front of the crate (when he has one) and sleeps in the back I think he prefers the cool plastic to the blanket anyway.
Thanks, Melissa. Sorry to hijack the thread but I’ll add the removal of the crate mat to the things to try to see if Mando will start sleeping in his crate again. We’ve already removed his little blanket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts