Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a video of Ducky during his "every day" grooming. For @gabbygool

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Please post a link to the spray bottle you used grooming Ducky. Also how much Ice on Ice to water? It seems heavy on Issac’s coat though it works well on Leo’s.
There are a TON of options on Amazon. This is a pack of three I bought recently. You can buy one at a time, but that's 1 for $12, instead of 3 for $16...

I just go by the bottle directions (more or less... I eye-ball it) on Ice on Ice. Maybe you are spraying on too much? It is about the lightest product I know of. But you can ALWAYS dilute it more...

Reactions: Pucks104

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here is a video of Ducky during his "every day" grooming. For @gabbygool

This is so helpful Karen. I’ve watched so many you tube videos and the dogs are like statues. glad to see another wiggly havanese getting combed.

Charlotte is in a puppy coat and hates her bum combed to but loves loves loves her ears and her back feet combed. It’s so soothing to her and I can see her eyes close when I comb them.

ps he’s so cute.

·
Sophie
1,048 Posts
Ducky doesn't seem to be enjoying that very much. You make him do that every day!?

You should just cut his hair medium-short every 3 months and let him live his best life.
Oh good grief. If you took the time to know ANYTHING about Karen, you'd know there is no room to insinuate that her dogs are living anything but their best lives.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh good grief. If you took the time to know ANYTHING about Karen, you'd know there is no room to insinuate that her dogs are living anything but their best lives.
Thanks, KarMar.❤

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ducky doesn't seem to be enjoying that very much. You make him do that every day!?

You should just cut his hair medium-short every 3 months and let him live his best life.
You clearly don’t know much about body language in dogs. While he moves around, (and I allow him to) he never seriously complains. I am VERY careful never to pull on a mat. I never hurt him. He is a show dog, and honestly? He loves showing. He is VERY disappointed on the days that his mother goes and he gets left home!!! He cannot show in a short coat.

If you owned a Havanese, you would know that even a Havanese in a “medium-short“ coat would need to be combed out at least a couple of times a week, or risk serious TIGHT mats close to the skin. And they would need to be cut down much more often than every 3 months. My two that are in puppy cuts get cut rather short, and are cut down at 6 week intervals. They definitely need regular combing by the second half of this period.

If you don’t want to groom, don’t get a coated breed. If you get a coated breed, do your job and TEACH your dog that grooming doesn’t hurt and is just part of life! It’s pretty simple! If you want a Havanese and NEVER want to groom, be prepared to keep them in a VERY short puppy cut and either pay to get them trimmed every 6 weeks MAXIMUM, or do it yourself. And I GUARANTEE YOU that whether that is out of your sight or not, the time they spend at the groomer, and the process of getting clipped is no more pleasant than getting groomed. For someone who doesn’t properly train your dog to accept it, AND who doesn’t regularly groom their dog at home, so that they arrive at the groomer with mats close to the skin, it is an uncomfortable, and unpleasant experience all around. And they are likely there for several hours. Ducky has never once spent any time at a groomer.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Perry IS kept in a short puppy cut and gets groomed probably every 8 weeks. Like Karen said by the time he gets to the 2nd half of that period he definitely needs to be combed out more often though not every day and then yes, at the groomers, he needs to be combed/ brushed/ bathed/ blow dry, etc before getting cut.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Teaching a dog NOT to lIke grooming is what is cruel. And I am not a fan of dropping dogs at the groomer. Sorry just my opinion. My dogs are groomed in the comfort of their own home.
We are hoping to make that transition. It has been hit or miss depending on whom is working and good groomers seem to be gone next time you ask for them.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
We are hoping to make that transition. It has been hit or miss depending on whom is working and good groomers seem to be gone next time you ask for them.
I certainly am glad I decided to start grooming my own dogs. It seems scary at first but learning anything new is always a bit scary. It turned out to be way easier than I thought. Good luck!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I go to smaller groomers wher there IS only one groomer. (Or a couple) in the whole time I’ve had dogs I’ve worked with only three groomers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I go to smaller groomers wher there IS only one groomer. (Or a couple) in the whole time I’ve had dogs I’ve worked with only three groomers.
It was like that before covid but now there seems to be a much higher turn over. My older dog had a very bad experience, at a place we had taken her for years and my friends take their dogs, my husband and daughters happened to walk in on the groomer. My husband just paid and took her home not even half way done. The last two times we had a lovely young gal at another place. Hopefully she will stay. It is worth the extra drive for us.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was like that before covid but now there seems to be a much higher turn over. My older dog had a very bad experience, at a place we had taken her for years and my friends take their dogs, my husband and daughters happened to walk in on the groomer. My husband just paid and took her home not even half way done. The last two times we had a lovely young gal at another place. Hopefully she will stay. It is worth the extra drive for us.
If you find a place that is owned by the groomer (which is what I use) there won’t be any turn-over unless the place closes down. I have changed twice in 13 years. The first time because the place I was going(NOT) owned by the groomer) started insisting on vaccines I won’t give, and would not accept titers. Then I moved to a mobile groomer who groomed my dogs in my home, until she moved to Florida. I have now been using a WONDERFUL gal who has her grooming salon in her home.

Reactions: anna7
1 - 20 of 26 Posts