Havanese Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this blog was written for breeders it is equally useful for hise with a single pupy who gets demanding in their ex-pen!

· Registered
33 Posts
While this blog was written for breeders it is equally useful for hise with a single pupy who gets demanding in their ex-pen!

Willy at 5 months is very demanding. His demand barking is very loud. We try to leave the LR when the barking begins. sometimes just being out of sight has him stop barking. Other times,too often, the barking continues. We are in an apartment and so far our neighbors have been tolerant. But I feel sorry for the neighbors. And there is something wrong with Willy “owning” the LR where his expen is while we huddle in the bedroom.

suggestions?

Mary Clarke, staff to Willy

** also looking for information on using the snuffle mat. I loaded it with a few treats, put it in the expen and had hardly turned around before Willy turned it upside down and shook it with all of the treats falling out. Willy also emptied the puzzle box with little doors and sliders within 5 minutes.

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Willy at 5 months is very demanding. His demand barking is very loud. We try to leave the LR when the barking begins. sometimes just being out of sight has him stop barking. Other times,too often, the barking continues. We are in an apartment and so far our neighbors have been tolerant. But I feel sorry for the neighbors. And there is something wrong with Willy “owning” the LR where his expen is while we huddle in the bedroom.

suggestions?

** also looking for information on using the snuffle mat. I loaded it with a few treats, put it in the expen and had hardly turned around before Willy turned it upside down and shook it with all of the treats falling out. Willy also emptied the puzzle box with little doors and sliders within 5 minutes.
Read that blog… I think it is very important for Willy to learn that there are times when you will be quietly busy IN the living room and NOT at his back and call, and that barking will neither get you to leave nor get his way. If you need to, write little notes to your neighbors explaining that you are training him, and that some short term pain for all of you will lead to long term peace and quiet!

Reactions: skubler

· Registered
147 Posts

suggestions?

Hi Mary. Does Willy still need the ex-pen? By five months, or shortly thereafter, we eliminated the ex-pen as Ruffin had proved himself reliable (I'm talking housetraining.) The ex-pen just became one big source of irritation for Ruffin. I don't know if you permit your dog to sit on the couch with you (we let Ruffin sit with us, we have a dog cover for it), but once that ex-pen was removed forever, we eliminated his "get me out of this pen" behavior. Ruffin is very much into a routine now--after dinner, we leave the kitchen, go to the living room, put the news on, and Ruffin joins us up on the couch. When Ruffin was still teething, we always had Lambie or a yak stick on the couch so he could lay down, chew and keep occupied. He needs less entertaining on the couch now, he just settles down with us as he knows it's our nighttime routine. If Willy is reliable in the house and you wouldn't mind a companion to sit with you, it may be time.

· Registered
33 Posts
Hi Mary. Does Willy still need the ex-pen? By five months, or shortly thereafter, we eliminated the ex-pen as Ruffin had proved himself reliable (I'm talking housetraining.) The ex-pen just became one big source of irritation for Ruffin. I don't know if you permit your dog to sit on the couch with you (we let Ruffin sit with us, we have a dog cover for it), but once that ex-pen was removed forever, we eliminated his "get me out of this pen" behavior. Ruffin is very much into a routine now--after dinner, we leave the kitchen, go to the living room, put the news on, and Ruffin joins us up on the couch. When Ruffin was still teething, we always had Lambie or a yak stick on the couch so he could lay down, chew and keep occupied. He needs less entertaining on the couch now, he just settles down with us as he knows it's our nighttime routine. If Willy is reliable in the house and you wouldn't mind a companion to sit with you, it may be time.
Willy definitely needs the expen. He still thinks the potty involves horseshoe rules: he gets points for being close. Sigh. And he is still very active- we are concerned that he wont notice the difference between his bully sticks and the leather furniture.

· Registered
147 Posts
Willy definitely needs the expen. He still thinks the potty involves horseshoe rules: he gets points for being close. Sigh. And he is still very active- we are concerned that he wont notice the difference between his bully sticks and the leather furniture.
Perhaps you could settle down in the evening with Willy on leash? That way he knows it’s time to relax, but you have him on the proverbial short-leash. Does he settle down at night, or is he constantly going until it’s bedtime?

· Registered
33 Posts
Perhaps you could settle down in the evening with Willy on leash? That way he knows it’s time to relax, but you have him on the proverbial short-leash. Does he settle down at night, or is he constantly going until it’s bedtime?
He goes full speed until bedtime and then he is good as gold when put in crate. It was not always thus but we have the bedtime challenge under control. For now.

He is always dragging a leash if out of the expen. The little rascal is FAST and we will not play the chase game.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
We leash Issac in the evening when we settle for a bit of TV time. He and Pepper are on the couch or ottoman and are not permitted to get down. They can wrestle with each other, chew on their Gorilla wood pieces, play with their toys but they have to stay with me. Issac is leashed. I expect Pepper will be soon. There are numerous outside potty trips as I want them empty by bedtime. I also give each of them a good combing out, check ears, handle paws and mouths. Leo generally sits with DH in his recliner and naps. The youngsters eventually go to sleep but typically just a little while before my bedtime. They get one last trip outside and off to bed. Teaching them to stay on the couch with me keeps them out of mischief.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts