Havanese Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone happen to catch the great story on CBS news tonite about the "designer dog" business. It was reported by John Slattery. If you didn't see it, go to WCBS on the web and read it. I think everyone should send in their comments after reading the story. Maybe if they get enough feedback from us, they will do more stories like this. If anyone didn't see it, they basically said that breeding these "designer dogs" (mutts) didn't always get the results they claim they are looking for. Instead of getting all the good qualities of the two breeds, they are getting aggressive, and sometimes badly disfigured puppies. It's about time someone did this story.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I will be viewing it asap. I had a mutt growing up that was a Collie and a poodle. The best dog I ever had but it was an oops!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot understand how people would intentionally breed them like that. Of course, you are going to end up with two many variables and never get the best personalities and the same characteristics in each litter.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, Rita. I had a lab/husky and a germanshep/x?. They were both great dogs and lived to be 16 and 17 yrs. But these were oops dogs - one from a friend and one from a shelter.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
I too agree these can be dangerous mixes.
My sister watched my dog while I was in Hawaii. She has a Llhasa and Chihuahua mix. Isnt that crazy??? It was for sure an OOPS! Looked like a big chihuahua with strange hair coming out of it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
havanese by design website

this ad appeared in the sunday los angeles times.i don't know where they are located. this website is unbeleiveable. havanesebydesign,com

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
this ad appeared in the sunday los angeles times.i don't know where they are located. this website is unbeleiveable. havanesebydesign,com
Unbelieveable is right!!!! They sell purebred puppies for $1100 to $1500 without papers and claim it's so that they are not bread or show!!! Give me a break!!!! How stupid or should I say naive do they think a customer is.....sigh.

·
(and Taylor Too! )
1,243 Posts
Also visit

http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/

Ladies (and gents) in the DFW area. There's a fairly shady petshop in lewisville called Petland that I visited a few weeks ago looking for a bag for capote. I left disgusted because of all the mixes they had and were selling for extreme prices..and the parrots, rabbits, feritts and other small animals left out in the open so people could just reach in and pick up the animals and carry them around the store without one person caring! Feritts are susceptible to the human flu and can die of it in only a couple days. On this webpage there's a link for how to protest pet stores and such. If anyones willing, I'm willing too.. of all places I've seen this is one of the worst..

·
Registered
80 Posts
here's another link to a fellow forum board about it..

http://www.dachsie.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=30081
Thanks for the link-- much more in line with my impression of the CBS story. I think it was an outrage-- maybe I misunderstood your original post. The dachsie.org people want to bombard CBS with e-mail criticizing them, not praising them, for their "celebration" of hybrids-- I heartily agree.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
when i was looking to buy a puppy i was amazed at the cost of cross breeds. A girl at my office bought a Yorkie/poodle mix a yorkiepoo for $600. i thought she was crazy until I look in the Atlanta paper and found all these cross breeds selling for mor than the AKC's.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sky, that was a totally different take on the story I saw on the news. The story I saw emphasized the drawbacks of the designer dogs and told people "buyer beware" when purchasing one. The story you found has some of both sides, and doesn't take a strong enough stand against the designer dogs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sky, that was a totally different take on the story I saw on the news. The story I saw emphasized the drawbacks of the designer dogs and told people "buyer beware" when purchasing one. The story you found has some of both sides, and doesn't take a strong enough stand against the designer dogs.
I didn't actually find the story. I just followed a link provided by Capote's Mom. I'm guessing she saw the same story you did and thought the link would provide that story. I agree-- the linked story did not emphasize the drawbacks of designer dogs. Where we see things differently, perhaps, is that I didn't think the linked story was balanced. Perhaps it mentioned in passing some drawbacks, but overall I think it was quite weighted in favor of designer dog breeding. In any case, it sounds like we all agree on the issue, and that is what is important.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I try to educate people. When I was looking for my 1st Hav, I didn't want to wait, so I looked in some local pet shops. They wanted $2500 for imported Havs. Thank goodness I had done some research and had the information to make a better decision and go with a breeder. But most people buy on impulse. That is why the pet shops are so successful. Instant gratification.

Plus, all puppies, whether they are purebred or designer, are very cute. People can't resist thse little faces.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts