Havanese Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are visiting dd in Virginia and Dexter is being kenneled. I just checked to see how Dexter was doing. And, he is not eating....this does not surprised me...

How long can a Hav go without eating? It took 2-3 days before Dexter finally gave in and started eating again at home.

What is the longest your Hav has ever gone on a hunger strike?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Linda,

No Forum member around your area that wanted to steal Dexter from you while out of town? I think when he gets hungry enough, he will eat!

Ryan

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
no eating...

Daisy at home has gone over three days without eating. At times when money is tight, we have to switch back from raw to kibble...and she refuses it.

Riki will wait about two days, Daisy has gone I think up to four. They still drink water.

As long as he is drinking water...

We had a german shepherd when we were kids who howled the entire week we were gone. The neighbors went wild.

Some kids are just pretty attached.

·
Renee
1,217 Posts
Some dogs just don't adjust well to new environments. We took Sophie to Nationals with us and she wouldn't touch her food. So, for about 5 days he snubbed all goodies (chese, dog treats) except for lunch meat. I'm sure once he's back home or near you he will be back to normal.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Can they give him boiled chicken...

Awful hard to resist. He just misses being in his home environment. I am sure they are loving him. Don't worry. Dogs adjust very well once you are home and are way more forgiving than cats!

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! When I did take Dexter on Monday, they said they had some gravy type stuff they could put on the food for the non-food eaters.

I am enjoying my new grandbaby. I will call the kennel tomorrow.

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dexter was alive when I picked him up from the kennel. Dexter did not eat for two days, then ate once a day, then ate over night, had diarrhea, also had a few accidents in the cage. But, Dexter survived! Yea!

Dexter had a bath this morning at the kennel. Dexter looks good! I weighed Dexter when I got him home to see if he lost any weight. He weighed 11 pounds. So, I am thinking Dexter might of lost a pound this week. Dexter was very happy to see me and was very glad to get into his own home.

I am glad it is all over.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Linda . . . I would have taken Dexter! I am always looking for a Hav close by, but it might not have been convenient for you to come here to Winston-Salem. Next time let me know in advance and maybe we can work it out. I dread the out of towns, too, because Jackson wants to be at HOME. We hired a housesitter this summer and it worked out GREAT. He was expensive, but well worth it for him to housesit, dogsit, and take care of our garden.

I can't remember exactly where you are, but we drive to the beach at least four times a year (Sunset). Maybe we can work something out sometime! Send me a PM next time . . .

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Oh yes, and Jackson refused food when staying at the groomer's before. Then he got stressed and got bloody diarrhea. He's good for a night or two, but that's it. A week is too much for him anywhere else than home.

And congrats on your new grandbaby!

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dexter was kenneled for 4 nights (5 days), which I am finding is too much. He had diarrhea for two days after coming home. He started the diarrhea, I think on the 3 day Dexter was kenneled.

I was getting a little scared on Saturday night (2nd night) I had him home; just not acting right. I gave him some of the Reglan he had for a previous upset stomach...he ended up having 2 doses... 8 hours apart...keeping food bland and minimal.

The next day (3rd day having him home), Dexter was his usual wild running self!

One more kenneling in September (4 night/5 days). I am hoping Dexter will be better after the next kenneling experience.

Kathy, thanks for offering to take Dexter in...it would of been a 4 hour drive to your house.

I need to find something that works....

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Linda,
I'm sorry you and Dexter have to deal with this. Marble used to get sick every time I would board him, whether at a kennel or the vet, and even if it was for one day. Some dogs have such a hard time being boarded. Marble wouldn't get better after a bland diet, so the vet would have to place him on Metronidazole (I think that's the name) each time. Finally, I found a place that does daycare as well, and I take him there one to two times a week so he feels more comfortable there. When he boards, I also do the daycare option. It has worked out well and seemed to cure the diarrhea. Do you have any place to board that has a play or daycare option. If you could get him more used to it, he might do better. Good luck!
Gina

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's just it! I have used this place to do some daycare hoping Dexter would get use to the place....We did 2 (3 hours) during the day and one overnight within 4 weeks of the kenneling.

I hope Dexter does better next time at the kennel.

Oh! That medicine is the same one...the common name is Reglan. It seemed to help Dexter a lot.

I went back to see my daughter this week on Monday...still here...and dh said, Dexter wakes him up at little after 7am and Dexter runs to the front door looking for me and if I am not there, Dexter runs back to the bed and Dexter does the door thing several times.

I usually come home from work a little after 7am in the mornings. Awwwwww, Dexter does miss me....and he knows my schedule!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Linda,

I was hoping that would help. It took me 2 1/2 years to find a place he wouldn't get sick at. He did daycare at the last place, and that didn't help there. I don't know if he's more comfortable at this place (he's only with little dogs, and the last place they were mixed). But I have done this every week for the last four months, and it has finally improved. The medicine definitely helps. My vet says that she has a dog that gets sick immediately upon walking in, and they place him on it right at the start. I hope that you find what works for Dexter. I know it's hard and Dexter really misses you.
Gina

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What size cage to they keep your pup in when kenneling?

This is the best kennel for the area...very clean and friendly. This kennel does not let the dogs play together. Dexter is in a place where people can see him, so he is not alone during the day. Play times 2x day. Potty times several times during the day and one more at bedtime.

I think next time, I will bring some chicken for Dexter to eat.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Linda,

I'm not sure of the size, but it is a small cage. He is only in there at night, though. He does the daycare with the other dogs from 7 am to 7pm when he boards. The link is
http://www.melbournepreppypet.com/index.html to give you an idea. I picked it because I could check on him with the petcam.

Bringing him chicken is a great idea. Maybe you can reserve his favorite treats for the kennel so he comes to think of it as a nice place where he gets treats.

Gina

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the website in Melbourne; I will have to keep this kennel in mind. My son, daughter-law, and 1st grandbaby live about 20 minutes away from Melbourne ....our next visit in September.

The website did say not to feed your pup for about an hour after getting home....I fed Dexter and he did have diarrhea, but Dexter alreday had diarrhea, so I did not make it any better.

We did not pick the smallest cage for Dexter to stay in, but the next size up.

Oh! Dexter is very timid of other dogs....we are working on this one. I am sure this situation did not make things any better.

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dexter is being kenneled again while we visit Mom in Miami.

This time....the instructions say to feed Dexter 1 x day, and I fixed Dexter some Chicken and Rice, and brought some snacks to eat.

I just called to check on him and they say Dexter is eating!!!! Yea!

Last time Dexter was kenneled, he did not eat for 2 days, then he picked at the food...ended up with diarrhea, soiled crate.

So progress is made.....I am hoping not to kennel Dexter for a good while after this trip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts