Havanese Forum banner
161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Perry hated his liquid meds (and I think I hated them more!)... luckily I found a compounding pharmacy that can do them in pills instead so we are both happier.

It was funny though, before we traveled I called his vet to get a prescription for the pill version of the med - and the very nice nurse called me back - she was very very chipper but she wanted to let me know that it was difficult to find his dose in pill version. I assured her that I had already found it but needed the prescription to get the price (and then order them). :)

So now Perry gets 3 pills in his morning peanut butter plus a capsule opened and sprinkled on his food as well as a few supplements. He then gets 2 pills by themselves at around 8pm (he's not crazy about them because one is the capsule and it does not go down easily... then he gets a couple of treats with the 2nd pill stuck in them :))
Kodi has gotten to be a champ about pills. I don't even need to open his mouth. He just pops it down himself, followed by TWO treats. It MUST be TWO treats! LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Boo, you are TOTALLY amazing! You are certainly the oldest Havanese I know of, and one of the most handsome. (I can't say THE MOST handsome, because two boys are watching me! ;) )

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Kodi has gotten to be a champ about pills. I don't even need to open his mouth. He just pops it down himself, followed by TWO treats. It MUST be TWO treats! LOL!

I wish Boo was like Kodi. However, he will not just eat a pill pocket out of my hand. I have to wrap his pills in a pill pocket, put on my medical gloves, open his mouth, push the pill pocket to the back of his mouth, close his mouth, and rub his throat so he swallows. I follow with a cookie chaser,which makes the awful ordeal better. Fortunately, he is used to our routine.

I actually prefer liquid formulas, as they are easier for me to administer.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
I wish Boo was like Kodi. However, he will not just eat a pill pocket out of my hand. I have to wrap his pills in a pill pocket, put on my medical gloves, open his mouth, push the pill pocket to the back of his mouth, close his mouth, and rub his throat so he swallows. I follow with a cookie chaser,which makes the awful ordeal better. Fortunately, he is used to our routine.

Oh, I don’t mean he’ll eat a pill pocket… I hand him the naked pill! He’s fantastic about it! I also have to admit that none of my other dogs will do that…. While they are reasonably easy to pill, I do have to open their mouths and put the pill IN when they need to be medicated. I think in Kodi’s case, it is simply that he has been taking an antihisimine DAILY for almost 10 years now. He just knows that he ALWAYS gets his cookie, and the faster that pill goes down, the faster he gets his cookies!!!

My guess is that even though Boo is taking a lot of meds now, he doesn’t have the long term track record that Kodi does. I bet it also helps that he has never had to deal with anything bad tasting or aversive. It’s always the same small white Zyrtec Down the hatch!

Reactions: BoosDad

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Oh, I don’t mean he’ll eat a pill pocket… I hand him the naked pill! He’s fantastic about it! I also have to admit that none of my other dogs will do that…. While they are reasonably easy to pill, I do have to open their mouths and put the pill IN when they need to be medicated. I think in Kodi’s case, it is simply that he has been taking an antihisimine DAILY for almost 10 years now. He just knows that he ALWAYS gets his cookie, and the faster that pill goes down, the faster he gets his cookies!!!

My guess is that even though Boo is taking a lot of meds now, he doesn’t have the long term track record that Kodi does. I bet it also helps that he has never had to deal with anything bad tasting or aversive. It’s always the same small white Zyrtec Down the hatch!
WOW!!

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
From ShamaPapa:

Her Royal Highness gets her pills wrapped inside a bit of soft cookie. Usually she just gobbles it up, but lately she has started eating around the bigger pill. Not because she won't take her pill, but because that way Papa wraps it in a second piece of cookie so she gets even more treat. Smart little bugger . . .

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Dear Diary,

I just learned that Animal Walk 2022 raised a little over $700k for tha Animal Humane Society of Minnesota. Boo’s Hounds (the team named after me) contributed almost $2k toward the total funds raised. All the walkers deserve a round of applause. Good job!!

This morning, I went for my bi monthly groom. As usual, I was a very good boy for the groomer. I am looking good now. After the groomer, I just came home and relaxed for the rest of the day. I ate an early lunch, and explored in the backyard with Dad for a little bit.

Now, it’s time for a quick snooze, my favorite activity.

Happy Memorial Day!

Boo

Dog Dog supply Carnivore Comfort Dog breed

·
Registered
2,273 Posts

I hated the liquid meds and was very happy when I found the one that was liquid in a minitab version). Perry does well (most of the time) with his morning pills - 3 are in some peanut butter which I stick to the side of his bowl (and he always eats first even when he leaves his regular food), and then I open his capsule and sprinkle it on his food. His evening pills are a little harder because they're not at dinner time so I have to pill him - the capsule is the hardest because they stick to his mouth, but I can usually just pill him and put it all the way at th back of his throat and he'll swallow - he does usually (if I put it in the right place) swallow it pretty well because he knows that that treats are coming - he gets two treats following it - his 2nd pill is stuck inside the first treat and then he gets a second treat as well.

Perry definitely doesn't have the experience that Kodi has - maybe in a few years he'll take them better - though I am hoping that he doesn't gain that experience and we can be done with pills soon!

I don't use pill pockets. For his morning pills (all 3 are small), rolling them in peanut butter works pretty well - every once in a while he'll eat the peanut butter and leave the pill (this morning he eat the denamarin and ursodiol but spit out the gabapentin), but mostly he doesn't even notice and swallows them all.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Dear Diary,

Celebrate!! Boo’s in the house, and ready to party.
Dog Comfort Textile Sleeve Carnivore
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Grass

Well, I survived my 6 week doctor visit, even though they cuffed me and poked me with needles. I remained stoic, showing no signs of fear. The receptionist told Dad that I am there oldest patient, and she is happy to see me doing so well, Of course, I am Boo, The Jetsetter, and my Dad takes very good care of me.

After we got home, I played my puzzle games, and went exploring in the backyard. Now, I am partied out, and need a nap.

Boo

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 · (Edited)
Dear Diary,

I am looking pretty messy today because I did not get to the groomer this morning. My poor groomer is sick with Covid. I hope that my groomer gets better soon. I told Dad that he does not need to give me a bath cause I hate the laundry room sink. Let’s see if Dad listens to me, and lets me wait to see my groomer.

Dad told me that my doctor said that all my labs are good or stable. She is happy that I am still Stage 1 kidney disease and have a normal T4, normal WBC, and normal RBC. Because things are looking good, she said that we could wait 2 months before my next visit. Of course, I have to continue to see the vet tech, every 2 weeks, for my Adequan injections.

Well, gotta go Diary. Dad said I could explore outside for a little bit.

Boo
Dog Dog supply Dog breed Carnivore Comfort

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
I think you look like a normal, “rough and ready Havanese”, Boo! Tell your Dad that Havanese don’t ALWAYS need to be spiffed up! ❤

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Dear Diary,

I was a naughty boy this morning. I pooped on Dad, when he was taking me into the groomer. Dad didn’t get mad at me. However, I think he was a little upset. So, I was extra good for the groomer, and let her give me a short summer cut.

When Dad came to pick me up about an hour later, my groomer told him I was an angel. I saw Dad roll his eyes at me, and laugh.

I was so happy to get home to pee in my yard. I hate peeing in public spaces. After visiting the backyard, I played my puzzle games.

Now, I am ready for a little snooze.

Boo

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Companion dog
Dog Plant Leaf Sky Cloud
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Plant Grass

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Dear Diary,

Normally, I do not like to explore outside in the heat of the day. Instead, I just prefer to stay in my air conditioned room. However, today, Dad convinced me to go out at 2 pm. Man, it was hot. I did manage to find a little shade. After 15 minutes, I decided I had enough sunshine and headed for the patio. I sat on the cool concrete til Dad finished watering the plants.

Boo
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Grass

161 - 180 of 210 Posts