Havanese Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our vet said Kiki is due for a distemper/parvo booster one year after the puppy series. She said there’s a one year and a three year option available, I suppose in terms of the potency of the vaccine.

I said that I need to think about it. I didn’t realize there was this type of choice!

Thoughts?

·
Metrowest, MA
31,792 Posts
There is onlyone booster. It is a booster. You have three choices. You can:

1. Not boost at all, and get her titered at this point. (This is what I do. And I suspect you will find that she has a perfectly fine titer)

2. If you don’t want to titer, the AVMA recommends boostering for Parvo and Distemper ever THREE years, AFTRRthe one year booster. So you would get this booster now, then every three years after this.

3. I don’t know why your vet is even offering a “yearly” booster. This is not currently recommended by the AVMA for ANY dogs.

·
Registered
861 Posts
There is onlyone booster. It is a booster. You have three choices. You can:

3. I don’t know why your vet is even offering a “yearly” booster. This is not currently recommended by the AVMA for ANY dogs.
Karen is right(of course). Shadow was due for his this past year. The vet I've been going to only carries the one year. They said it is the identical shot but their supplier labels it for one year, not three. I called probably 10 vets and no one carried the three year. We went to a different vet so he could get the 3 year.
I wonder if it is so you have to come in every year. More $$$ for the vet? Maybe a supply issue? I'd love to know.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Karen is right(of course). Shadow was due for his this past year. The vet I've been going to only carries the one year. They said it is the identical shot but their supplier labels it for one year, not three. I called probably 10 vets and no one carried the three year. We went to a different vet so he could get the 3 year.
I wonder if it is so you have to come in every year. More $$$ for the vet? Maybe a supply issue? I'd love to know.
Our vet does the 1 year boosters too - though I'll have to ask if she has the 3 year versions. the problem with the ones that are only marked for 1 year is that if you do go somewhere where they're required ("up to date on vaccines") then you have to get the 1 year. For example, we're looking at vacation ideas and the possibility of day care when we're there - the day care (and possibly the hotel as well though that is still a question) either say that they have to be "up to date" on vaccines (unclear if that's just state mandated...) but in the case of the day care, it specifically mentions DLPP being up to date.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,443 Posts
Our vet does the 1 year boosters too - though I'll have to ask if she has the 3 year versions. the problem with the ones that are only marked for 1 year is that if you do go somewhere where they're required ("up to date on vaccines") then you have to get the 1 year. For example, we're looking at vacation ideas and the possibility of day care when we're there - the day care (and possibly the hotel as well though that is still a question) either say that they have to be "up to date" on vaccines (unclear if that's just state mandated...) but in the case of the day care, it specifically mentions DLPP being up to date.
I was just wondering why “being up to date on DLPP” translates to one year? Do the rules specially state one year?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I was just wondering why “being up to date on DLPP” translates to one year? Do the rules specially state one year?
No, but if the vaccine itself says 1 year and the vet writes that in the records (because it's a "1 year vaccine") then that would mean it expired after that. For example, the vet records say when the vaccine was given and when the next one is "due" - so I would take that as the expiration date. If they had the 3 year version of the vaccine then that would show it in the due date.

That being said, when we lived in Kampala it did specifically say annual as the requirement.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,443 Posts
No, but if the vaccine itself says 1 year and the vet writes that in the records (because it's a "1 year vaccine") then that would mean it expired after that. For example, the vet records say when the vaccine was given and when the next one is "due" - so I would take that as the expiration date. If they had the 3 year version of the vaccine then that would show it in the due date.

That being said, when we lived in Kampala it did specifically say annual as the requirement.
Thanks. Very sad since the expiration date is likely a number pulled out of the air by the supplier because they have to put SOMETHING on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the information, everyone. I called my vet and asked if there's a difference between the one-year and three-year boosters. I was told there is not; it really is exactly the same vaccine/dosage! Normally, they just give it and record it as a three-year booster. But for some reason, the vet (who was not my normal vet) gave me this choice.

I am also considering going the titering route, but perhaps not through my vet. They aren't very supportive of it, and it seems overpriced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts