Havanese Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Cuba and Tycho
1,120 Posts
I love that look you’ve got for Kodi in the longer scissored cut; if I could ever achieve that I’d be very happy. I like the longer hair, which is why I don’t think clippers are for me.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
I love that look you’ve got for Kodi in the longer scissored cut; if I could ever achieve that I’d be very happy. I like the longer hair, which is why I don’t think clippers are for me.
That was several years ago. As he ages, his coat consistency changes, and he tolerates grooming less. So now he is quite a bit shorter and my groomer does him with clippers! (But I DID like the longer fluffy look better when he put up with it. Now we are in "old man mode" 💕

This is the length I keep him these days!

Dog Carnivore Road surface Asphalt Companion dog

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
That was several years ago. As he ages, his coat consistency changes, and he tolerates grooming less. So now he is quite a bit shorter and my groomer does him with clippers! (But I DID like the longer fluffy look better when he put up with it. Now we are in "old man mode" 💕

This is the length I keep him these days!

View attachment 178085
Kodi is still handsome in old man mode! I recently took Mia down to old lady mode…mainly due to ticks. However, I think she is enjoying the shorter grooming sessions now.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Toy dog

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Working animal

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
You could try an Asian fusion style. The legs are long but the rest is short and easy to maintain. The mat prone areas are very short. I like this cut on Mia but cut her down recently because of ticks. However, I may try this again in winter. I did this completely with scissors even though the body is very short. You could leave the legs less long and still get the look.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Dog supply Companion dog

·
Member (Teresa)
1,045 Posts
Kodi is still handsome in old man mode! I recently took Mia down to old lady mode…mainly due to ticks. However, I think she is enjoying the shorter grooming sessions now.

View attachment 178086
View attachment 178087
Mia is sooo cute! Cotton had to have some teeth pulled so sometimes his tongue hangs out in the front. I think he's just adorable but maybe it's because I'm his dog Mommy🥰💖 Last year you mentioned the Asian fusion style when Jodie had a couple mats. I did that with the middle being a little longer than Mia but it was a great way to regrow the middle and still have her looking stylish.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
Mia is sooo cute! Cotton had to have some teeth pulled so sometimes his tongue hangs out in the front. I think he's just adorable but maybe it's because I'm his dog Mommy🥰💖 Last year you mentioned the Asian fusion style when Jodie had a couple mats. I did that with the middle being a little longer than Mia but it was a great way to regrow the middle and still have her looking stylish.
Thanks JaJa. Mia’s tongue hanging out constantly is a royal pain! I don’t think it will fit in her mouth because it is too big for it. It tends to cause staining of the fur so that is one reason I keep her face and beard shorter. She also lays with it on her front leg which can get staining too. I have tried wiping her face constantly but I cannot compete with a tongue hanging out 24x7!

·
Member (Teresa)
1,045 Posts
Thanks JaJa. Mia’s tongue hanging out constantly is a royal pain! I don’t think it will fit in her mouth because it is too big for it. It tends to cause staining of the fur so that is one reason I keep her face and beard shorter. She also lays with it on her front leg which can get staining too. I have tried wiping her face constantly but I cannot compete with a tongue hanging out 24x7!
It's the same with Cotton! I keep trimming the hairs under his chin and on his paw but of course the remaining hair is stained anyway. He also drools at times so the stained hair wins. When I take Jodie and Cotton out I put a bow tie on him (he has many) because everyone notices that when he's standing in a cart. He's a very codependent love bug so that helps. Jodie is more aloof with strangers. I didn't even notice Mia's chin. I was admiring her gorgeous tail!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
It's the same with Cotton! I keep trimming the hairs under his chin and on his paw but of course the remaining hair is stained anyway. He also drools at times so the stained hair wins. When I take Jodie and Cotton out I put a bow tie on him (he has many) because everyone notices that when he's standing in a cart. He's a very codependent love bug so that helps. Jodie is more aloof with strangers. I didn't even notice Mia's chin. I was admiring her gorgeous tail!
I am sure Cotton is adorable no matter what. You probably didn’t notice Mia’s chin because it is pretty much chopped off!!! She also likes to dig and uses her head at times to push the dirt so the face gets filthy. Shorter facial hair is definitely better for her. She will be 14 in August and I thought she had gotten past her digging stage but evidently not. There is lots of mole activity in the yard right now and both of them are digging like crazy in our hard clay soil which turns to clumps on their fur.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
You could try an Asian fusion style. The legs are long but the rest is short and easy to maintain. The mat prone areas are very short. I like this cut on Mia but cut her down recently because of ticks. However, I may try this again in winter. I did this completely with scissors even though the body is very short. You could leave the legs less long and still get the look.

View attachment 178088
Trouble is, Kodi MOST hates his legs to be groomed!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
That is how my yorkie is…he hates anything to do with legs or feet, although he has gotten lots better about nail trimming.
Kodi is fine about nails and trimming, but heaven help me if he needs to have a TEENY. mat combed out on one of his legs. At this point in his life, we are are not going to argue about it. We do it his way. ❤

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Cuba and Tycho
1,120 Posts
Yes, we do it Cuba’s way, too, since she’s been so ill; I don’t want her to have to put up with more than she can easily tolerate. As for Arlo, well, he’s in Young Man Mode, but actually, so far, with daily habituating to the grooming process, he’s managing pretty well; zero trouble doing his nails, although I do think that is largely to do with the Zen Clippers that I use - brilliant, for us. But he let me clip his paw pads with mini clippers yesterday and didn’t seem to mind at all. I guess, as I live in Hong Kong, I should go for Asian Fusion!! But I do rather like the shaggier-all-over but not-too-long look. If I can manage it. Someone should market a ‘toy’ long-haired dog to practice on, with replacement ‘coats’ so you could keep on practicing! And it would have to be a wind-up toy so it wriggled and moved around….

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Someone should market a ‘toy’ long-haired dog to practice on, with replacement ‘coats’ so you could keep on practicing! And it would have to be a wind-up toy so it wriggled and moved around….
You have one of those... it is called "Arlo"! The coat constantly re-grows! LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Same with Perry - I can keep his tail and ears longer, but he hates anything to do with the legs.
When he was younger, I just didn't put up with his nonsense. But now... He deserves to be a cantankerous retiree! 💕

·
Member (Teresa)
1,045 Posts
I am sure Cotton is adorable no matter what. You probably didn’t notice Mia’s chin because it is pretty much chopped off!!! She also likes to dig and uses her head at times to push the dirt so the face gets filthy. Shorter facial hair is definitely better for her. She will be 14 in August and I thought she had gotten past her digging stage but evidently not. There is lots of mole activity in the yard right now and both of them are digging like crazy in our hard clay soil which turns to clumps on their fur.
I think Mia and Cotton are related 😋

21 - 38 of 38 Posts