Havanese Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! Our vet plan uses Wisdom Panel. Do you know which DNA testing gets it right or comes close? Now I'm wondering what would happen if we did another one. Just for the fun of it.
Sorry, I do not know for sure. But is there a reason you would be doubting your breeder? Have you discussed this with her?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We got the wisdom DNAC for free through our vet as well and our "purebred havanese" came up mostly poodle. While we're not happy to have paid nearly 3k for a havanese and be having all the grooming issues of a poodle, she's healthy and we love her so.....

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
Wisdom panels, etc. are not accurate when it comes to assessing the “breed” of MANY purebred dogs. That is not the purpose of the test. If you think tgere is a question about the parentage of you dog, you should approach AKC and ask for DNA testing of your puppy and both AKC registered parents.

We KNOW that Poodle and Havanese share enough DNA that that sort of result is common on a “pet panel”.

Reactions: Andy86

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, I am late to the game here, but my Vet also covered DNA and I just got Maggie's results. 75% Havanese and 25% "breed groups" This was done through Wisdom Health.

We have tested Maggie's DNA for more than 150 disease-causing mutations. Below is a summary of our findings.
Congratulations! Maggie inherited zero copies of these disease mutations. Be sure to use our share feature to let your veterinarian know about Maggie’s results. For some of the conditions there may still be undiscovered mutations and/or environmental factors that could lead to similar disease signs. These clear results will help narrow down a future diagnosis if Maggie ever gets sick.
Then there is a list of genetic health issues she has been cleared of.
Also a list of her traits...coloring, ear position, leg length etc.
I will try and post the family tree next.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, I am late to the game here, but my Vet also covered DNA and I just got Maggie's results. 75% Havanese and 25% "breed groups" (Companion and Terrier)

This was done through Wisdom Health.

We have tested Maggie's DNA for more than 150 disease-causing mutations. Below is a summary of our findings.
Congratulations! Maggie inherited zero copies of these disease mutations. Be sure to use our share feature to let your veterinarian know about Maggie’s results. For some of the conditions there may still be undiscovered mutations and/or environmental factors that could lead to similar disease signs. These clear results will help narrow down a future diagnosis if Maggie ever gets sick.

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
So, I am late to the game here, but my Vet also covered DNA and I just got Maggie's results. 75% Havanese and 25% "breed groups" (Companion and Terrier)

This was done through Wisdom Health.

Did you buy her as a purebred Havanese? Is she registered with AKC, and from a reputable breeder? If not, I would question the Wisdom panel results.

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
Yes, Yes, and Yes....So......
So? I would ask Wisdom whether their panel is considered "reliable for testing a registered purebred animal". They may tell you that it is not, since all breeds have overlapping genes with other breeds. (except, perhaps, for a few of the MOST ancient breeds, and we are DEFINITELY not one of those) If they tell you that, no, they are quite sure your puppy is a crossbreed, you need to go back to your breeder, and ask for DNA testing on both parents.

I am betting on the first possibility, because of the number of times we've seen this happen on the forum. It bothers me that people even run these tests on registered, purebred dogs because of this.

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
I did it for genetic disease testing/probability
There are only a couple of diseases that Havanese can be tested for genetically, and even in those cases, the understanding of inheritance is VERY incomplete. having the gene does not mean your animal will get the disease. I can help guide breeding, in that two animals with the gene should probably not be bred together even if they do not exhibit symptoms of the disease, but the gene in it self means nothing in the absence of symptoms.

And these companies could EASILY offer just the appropriate breed specific health testing and not cause problems and suspicions for puppy buyers and breeders if they left out faulty DNA testing that shows perfectly legitimate purbreds as mutts. If it were likely to be accurate it would be one thing, but most of the time in the past, they have not been. Which is why I kind of doubt yours is.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts