Havanese Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister-in-law takes her Westie to doggy day care. A couple weeks ago, the top of his ear was bit off by another dog. I have never taken my dogs to doggy day care but came across this article today on what to look for. Note that I am just passing this on. I have no personal experience. I am pretty much a control freak and would be afraid to take my dogs to doggy day care, although I am sure there are some that are good.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
We took Perry to doggie day care for 1 week 2 summers ago in DC when we were there visiting and didn't want to leave him in a hotel room (making noise) for full days. He didn't seem bothered by it, though one day he did come back with his feet smelling like pee - I assume that one of the others peed on the floor and it didn't get cleaned up fast enough.

Thanks for the article - I'm sure if we end up in the US full time, we will be looking for daycares (or a daily walker)... so good info to think about.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We took Perry to doggie day care for 1 week 2 summers ago in DC when we were there visiting and didn't want to leave him in a hotel room (making noise) for full days. He didn't seem bothered by it, though one day he did come back with his feet smelling like pee - I assume that one of the others peed on the floor and it didn't get cleaned up fast enough.

Thanks for the article - I'm sure if we end up in the US full time, we will be looking for daycares (or a daily walker)... so good info to think about.
My sister-in-law has been taking her dog to day care for many years, however he lost the tip of his ear there a couple weeks ago! She was very upset and is trying to let the hair grow to conceal it. Anyway, I guess there is good, better and best with everything, including doggy day care, and I suppose accidents can happen regardless. Her dog is an only dog and she feels he needs to be with other dogs, although I am not really sure he needs that.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
My sister-in-law has been taking her dog to day care for many years, however he lost the tip of his ear there a couple weeks ago! She was very upset and is trying to let the hair grow to conceal it. Anyway, I guess there is good, better and best with everything, including doggy day care, and I suppose accidents can happen regardless. Her dog is an only dog and she feels he needs to be with other dogs, although I am not really sure he needs that.
Accidents can definitely happen even in the best run facilities (whether they are for dogs or humans) - but I imagine that it was devestating for her!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Accidents can definitely happen even in the best run facilities (whether they are for dogs or humans) - but I imagine that it was devestating for her!
Yes it was, but luckily the injury was not serious! He does have a lopsided ear but really only cosmetic in nature now that it has healed.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
How upsetting for your SIL and of course, her dog! I too am a control freak 😆and would do a ton of research before using a doggy day care. Thanks for sharing this article!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
Kodi is gracious about our girls, but I am SURE that if he could speak, he would tell you he would be ecstatic to be an “only” again! ;)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Kodi is gracious about our girls, but I am SURE that if he could speak, he would tell you he would be ecstatic to be an “only” again! ;)
If we ever end up taking Perry to day care it will be so he's not home (without humans) all day, not because I think he wants/ needs other doggy companionship. He hangs out with others here, but he's not a huge fan of running around and playing with them too much.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
LOL!!! My former Poodle, Ashly would tell Kodie being an ONLY DOG is the Best-of-the-Best. I thought Ashly would be lonely and devastated after our Schnauzer, Samantha died. Ashly's grief was very brief! 😨

Good things to Think About if considering Doggie Daycare. Fortunately, I've never needed to do that.

·
Premium Member
4,461 Posts
Two weeks ago an old coworker and her DH left their two dogs at doggy day care. There was an employee who had noticed dogs being abused by one person. She decided to video the abuse and report it to the authorities. This happened in another state and was on the news. The video showed their two dogs being kicked, hit and dragged across the floor. You could hear one dog yelp... The video is heartbreaking and they were devastated. If I lived in their area and needed doggy day care I would chose this facility because it appears to be very nice day care facility. 😳

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Two weeks ago an old coworker and her DH left their two dogs at doggy day care. There was an employee who had noticed dogs being abused by one person. She decided to video the abuse and report it to the authorities. This happened in another state and was on the news. The video showed their two dogs being kicked, hit and dragged across the floor. You could hear one dog yelp... The video is heartbreaking and they were devastated. If I lived in their area and needed doggy day care I would chose this facility because it appears to be very nice day care facility. 😳
Yikes!!! :eek: Now days security cameras are easy to install and if you have people in your home doing housekeeping, baby sitting, dog sitting or work it's good to keep them rolling.

In my hometown - There's a beautiful new kennel in town that has cute, gorgeous kennels that face an indoor, fake grass, play area with a covered top for the dogs to play. I cannot imagine how they can keep that fake grass from smelling. I tried using fake grass and it's worse than dirty potty pads.

I'm sure most doggie care programs had good people. Problem it's hard to tell the good from the bad unless you've got a hidden camera.

·
Premium Member
4,461 Posts
Yikes!!! :eek: Now days security cameras are easy to install and if you have people in your home doing housekeeping, baby sitting, dog sitting or work it's good to keep them rolling.

In my hometown - There's a beautiful new kennel in town that has cute, gorgeous kennels that face an indoor, fake grass, play area with a covered top for the dogs to play. I cannot imagine how they can keep that fake grass from smelling. I tried using fake grass and it's worse than dirty potty pads.

I'm sure most doggie care programs had good people. Problem it's hard to tell the good from the bad unless you've got a hidden camera.
This was a upscale facility. It was shocking! I guess there were no cameras. We have artificial turf in the front and backyard for three years. We chose one for pets. It does require constant care daily. I always follow the furkids out and cleaned the area right away. We use a cleaner at least monthly. We haven't had a odor problem so far. At least we no longer have grass covered with holes, piles of dirt and dirty paws. :)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
This was a upscale facility. It was shocking! I guess there were no cameras. We have artificial turf in the front and backyard for three years. We chose one for pets. It does require constant care daily. I always follow the furkids out and cleaned the area right away. We use a cleaner at least monthly. We haven't had a odor problem so far. At least we no longer have grass covered with holes, piles of dirt and dirty paws. :)
That's interesting about fake grass. You only have a couple of furkids but a kennel has lots of mostly Big Doggies. I've wondered how they’d keep the grass from smelling and thought there might be something under the fake grass that allows moisture to pass through and deodorize it.

Mellissa said, Perry came home with his paws smelling like pee from somewhere he visited. 😨

In your situation there's the sun, rain and wind that probably takes care of pee odors. Poop eventually dries up but like you I even pick up poop in a regular yard.

The Upscale Kennel facility here has both indoor and outdoor fake grass with a roof over the outdoor section, which allows the dogs to get out during bad weather. I believe there are fans in summer. Each big and little kennel is decorated like a Show Room bedroom. For the most part people who work on those places like pets and are not mean BUT I think security cameras would be on the top of my list if I was an owner.

I've bought fake potted plants and Love 'em. No watering. Deer don't eat them. Flowers and greenery are perfect year round, even in snow ❄❄❄. There's definitely places that fake grass works which maybe what we all resort to, to save water. Laws with rocks, boulders, desert plants and fake grass. Sounds pretty good to me.

·
Premium Member
4,461 Posts
Fake grass does require constant maintenance if you have dogs. There are special pet grasses designed for quick drainage. Below the turf there is gopher wire, weed barrier and a crushed gravel layer. It does have to have proper drainage. I always follow the furkids out and hose down any area used. I can see it would be a problem if applied to a hard surface like a roof with a lot of dogs using it. Definitely not a good situation. 😬 It must be cleaned off like any hard surface. We decided to have turf installed when the gophers took over and had replaced the lawn three times. Then came the drought and water rationing. It appears we are heading in that direction once again this coming summer. 🙁

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
If we ever end up taking Perry to day care it will be so he's not home (without humans) all day, not because I think he wants/ needs other doggy companionship. He hangs out with others here, but he's not a huge fan of running around and playing with them too much.
one of my soms worked for a doggy daycare when he was in high school. They had one toy poodle who really DIDN’T care for being with the other dogs, even the “small dog group. They accommodated her. She became the “daycare greeter”. She stayed at the desk with the receptionist,had her own bed there, or was carried around under someone’s arm most of the day. She was perfectly happy and her owners were fine with the arrangement. She wanted to be with PEOPLE, not yucky DOGS!!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
one of my soms worked for a doggy daycare when he was in high school. They had one toy poodle who really DIDN’T care for being with the other dogs, even the “small dog group. They accommodated her. She became the “daycare greeter”. She stayed at the desk with the receptionist,had her own bed there, or was carried around under someone’s arm most of the day. She was perfectly happy and her owners were fine with the arrangement. She wanted to be with PEOPLE, not yucky DOGS!!!
Well, Perry isn't a big fan of a lot of people either. He likes other dogs (he didn't seem at all traumatized by his time at daycare, just a good tired), but he wants to play on his terms and mostly wants to just run around. His cousin Finley (scotty) is a very demanding/ rough player. His likes to pounce, poke, pull ears, etc. That's ok with another dog that is a very physical player too (like cousin Zadie) - Zadie and Finley race around, pounce on each other, push each other around and have a great time. But Perry likes to race around and chase balls/ toys/ etc... NOT get poked and prodded and his ears pulled :). Perry and Finley will play for a little while, but Perry knows that when he's had enough, all he has to do is come to either me or Finley's mom and we'll stop the play.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts