Havanese Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Question about the down command. I use a clicker and a treat with Mr. Harry. He knows some good tricks, and "sit". (In the house he is great, but outside with distractions just so so!)

Anyways, I have had doberman dogs in the past. Teaching them "down" was a little easier because they were taller. My method is to hold the treat on the ground covered with my hand. I waited for them to go down on their stomach to get the treat then clicked, they learned it pretty easy.

Now, Mr. Harry, my Havanese puppy, has such short legs! I put the treat on the ground covered with my hand and he just bends his neck down. I push my hand with the treat under his stomach hoping that he will put his stomach on the ground, but it doesnt happen! His legs are so short , he just contorts himself like a pretzel without going down on his stomach, I cannot get him down to click!

Can anyone give me advice to teach Mr. Harry the "down" command with a clicker and treat?

·
Metrowest, MA
26,723 Posts
Yes! With Kodi I “captured” it with the clicker... I kept a clicker and treats in my pocket ALL the time. Whenever I saw him lie down on his own I woukd click/treat. He eventually learned it! Pixel learned it pretty much the way you described.

Then the Panda came along, and I had an even harder time with her. Finally, my instructor suggested that I st on the floor, legs out in front of me. She had me raise my knees just slightly to make a little tunnel to lure her through with a cookie. At first I had my knee high enough that she coul just walk under, but as she learned the game, I lowered my knee until she had to get down on her belly and crawl through. As she went down, I would click/treat. She very quickly got the idea, and I was able to get it without luring her under my leg.

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,178 Posts
I am resurrecting this thread. Fezzik has had his first Puppy Kindergarten class. His 'Sit' is coming along as well as looking up at my face. I got him to do one 'down' in class. Now I can't repeat it. He is standing. I am holding the treat at his nose level. Then I slowly move it down and towards his chest. Fezzik should be in the Cirque du Soleil. Pretzel Puppy. Nothing is working.

Should I reward him when he starts to bend his elbows? I am going to try Karen's trick of crawling under my leg next.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Pam,

I was the original poster here in 2018. I finally got Harry to do the down command back then. I tried the under the leg thingy, it did not work for me at that time. I remember when I was working with Harry on the "down" I was doing it on a tile floor, which was kind of slippery, which I think made him hesitate to go down on his belly! Someone suggested to me to put a rug underneath Harry when attempting the command. I put a flat rug under him, then held the treat on the ground, used a clicker, and it worked! Good luck!

Lisa

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
Really cute video of Panda, Karen! Thanks for posting it. Thanks for finding it, Pam. Lisa, thanks for getting back to us. It's always so fun to find out what ended up happening! I don't recall seeing this thread before today.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
Really cute video of Panda, Karen! Thanks for posting it. Thanks for finding it, Pam. Lisa, thanks for getting back to us. It's always so fun to find out what ended up happening! I don't recall seeing this thread before today.
I agree ShamaMama, it is wonderful to hear back from folks. Often times we are left "hanging" and I wonder how things turned out!

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,178 Posts
well, I got Fezzik to slither under my leg. His front half looks good but he is sticking his back legs out like a Havanese. It is a work in progress.

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
well, I got Fezzik to slither under my leg. His front half looks good but he is sticking his back legs out like a Havanese. It is a work in progress.
Do you mean the frog look? Shama never did that. I always think it's so cute to see Havanese puppies (and dogs!) with their back legs splayed out like frogs! I wonder if there is a thread of Havanese/frog photos ...

·
Metrowest, MA
26,723 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
26,723 Posts
There is NOTHING in the rule book that says where his back legs need to be in a down. ;)

(although, in all seriousness, that is going to go away as he figures it out!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts