Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Laura
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
We have 2 Havanese who have lovely coats, normally. When we go south, from Seattle to Las Vegas (humid to arid), their coats get very dry, dirt just sticks, and one even gets itchy. I use conditioner and bath every 2-3 weeks, but they are dried out in a couple days. Can anyone suggest product that might help? Thank you!!!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
I don't think so. They get dry and dusty so fast (just a few days) that I increased the baths to try to help,
If mine get dusty, i just rinse them off with water and do not use shampoo or conditioner. If it has been dry and windy they can get dusty. Just using water seems to work for this. Normally my problem is that it is too wet but we have had a dry spell.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
I would say bathe MORE often, with a good conditioner, like CC Spectrum 10.

·
Laura
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Up north I often rinse the mud/dirt off their paws and legs after play, but the dust down here just sticks and won’t come off without shampoo.

·
Laura
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say bathe MORE often, with a good conditioner, like CC Spectrum 10.
Yes, I guess I must. I like to brush them daily but the ‘stuff’ makes brushing, or combing with my CC comb, horrible. I hunk a need an awesome conditioner AND a ‘dust repellant’. I will try the products suggested. Thank you! I was also thinking about trying ShoSheen. I use it on my horses, but remember reading something about it not being good for Havi coats. If anyone has thoughts on that, I would appreciate hearing them too.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I live in Utah and I have to bathe my Havanese weekly. Really Sundance can go about every 10 days but that’s too hard because it doesn’t fall one the same day of the week in order to make it routine, and it’s really pushing it. Sundance missed his bath last week actually and last night I pulled out 4 or 5 little mats even though he’s been groomed many times since then. The hair on his legs and tummy start to feel like straw about now but his ears are a little greasy looking. His chest still feels great though, where his coat is the silkiest. His coat is more coarse in his “mane,” although his ears are silky, and he gets the most mats where these two areas meet. But we’re waiting until tomorrow to give him his bath because he’s going to a birthday party on Saturday :)

CC Spectrum 10 is the best I’ve found for our climate so far for Sundance. I have found products that are more moisturizing but they either weigh the coat down or attract more dirt and it’s not worth the trade off. I’d love to find a grooming spray that doesn’t have silicone because I do think that attracts more dirt. The problem is that silicone can be light and most alternatives, especially natural moisturizers, are heavy. I have the same problem with human hair products because I have fine hair.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Yes, I guess I must. I like to brush them daily but the ‘stuff’ makes brushing, or combing with my CC comb, horrible. I hunk a need an awesome conditioner AND a ‘dust repellant’. I will try the products suggested. Thank you! I was also thinking about trying ShoSheen. I use it on my horses, but remember reading something about it not being good for Havi coats. If anyone has thoughts on that, I would appreciate hearing them too.
I think sho sheen is high silicone content and less of combing aid. I don’t think it’s “bad” but I think it will end up attracting more dirt - it seems like products designed to repel some kinds of dirt still attract others. I really haven’t found the “perfect” grooming spray. I have a few more on my list to try but one of them has been out of stock for a long time. Ice on Ice is a really good staple, IMO. It works better if I mix it slightly more concentrated than directed but again there’s a trade off because it does attract more dirt. I notice a difference between the concentrate and the ready mixed and I like the ready to use better but it’s a lot more expensive and I have a ton of the concentrate. Maybe that’s just me. The Ice on Ice Ultra is a 3rd type and it’s fantastic because it’s airless and distributes the product very lightly but I think it has a higher silicone content so I use it sparingly. It’s great on the slightly more coarse area of Sundance’s coat.

I have found that a lot of grooming sprays are too heavy but if I mix them with water or other grooming spray they’re okay. I use up a lot that way, half of one and half ice on ice or another mix, so the nice thing is I never feel like buying something new is a waste. I’ll always keep trying new things and maybe one of them will end up being my favorite, but in the meantime Ice on Ice (or some variation of it) is good enough.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
I'm a horse person too, but I would avoid Show Sheen on my Havanese. It is HEAVY in silicone, and could cause drying and breakage in a fragile, soft, Havanese coat.

Incidentally, Show Sheen does not attract dirt, or horse people would NEVER use it! ;) But I still wouldn't use it on a Havanese coat.

I do agree that sometimes mixing Ice on Ice with another conditioner can work really well for a dry coat. I often ad a touch of my favorite conditioner (usually Spectrum 10) to my spray bottle of Ice on Ice.

Reactions: Laurasch

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
In my experience, conditioner causes the hair to attract dirt more easily. However, both of mine have very fine hair so maybe that is the problem. Mine do not seem to need conditioners or grooming sprays.
i am not sure if fine dog hair relates to fine human hair, however my hair is very fine and I have discovered that using zero hair products and washing my hair with a mild shampoo less often results in my hair being healthier and having more body. Products seem to easily build up on my hair and then I have to wash it more often or use harsher shampoos. It seems when I use grooming products on my dogs I also have to wash their hair more often. So maybe it is a buildup vs attracting dirt that I see on my dogs when I use conditioner and grooming sprays.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,
We have 2 Havanese who have lovely coats, normally. When we go south, from Seattle to Las Vegas (humid to arid), their coats get very dry, dirt just sticks, and one even gets itchy. I use conditioner and bath every 2-3 weeks, but they are dried out in a couple days. Can anyone suggest product that might help? Thank you!!!
Hello, we are in the same situation. Arrived from Minnesota to Las Vegas. My Louie was just groomed a week ago and his fur is dry, dusty/dirty and fly-away. I was also just wondering if you have tried anything recently since you’ve been out here that works! Thanks!

·
Laura
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got Spectrum 10, think it helped a little. Also trying Ice on Ice when I brush, but don’t think that helped. Down here someone suggested Chi, so just got that. It’s also a finishing spray. They came back from the groomer lovely, but didn’t last at all, just like my conditioner. not sure what they used. Groomer recommended adding Ultra Oil (sardine, anchovy, and hempseed oil) and gave me a sample. No change yet, but have only used it for 2 wks. Will probably take Spectrum 10 in with me for them to use next time. Went to Woofgang, on others recommendation, but their cuts were rather ragged. I’m at the Kyle canyon exit off 95 (nw corner of LV). Where are you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got Spectrum 10, think it helped a little. Also trying Ice on Ice when I brush, but don’t think that helped. Down here someone suggested Chi, so just got that. It’s also a finishing spray. They came back from the groomer lovely, but didn’t last at all, just like my conditioner. not sure what they used. Groomer recommended adding Ultra Oil (sardine, anchovy, and hempseed oil) and gave me a sample. No change yet, but have only used it for 2 wks. Will probably take Spectrum 10 in with me for them to use next time. Went to Woofgang, on others recommendation, but their cuts were rather ragged. I’m at the Kyle canyon exit off 95 (nw corner of LV). Where are you?
Thank you! We are in Spanish Trail off Tropicana and Durango. We are out here for Thanksgiving and then back out from Minnesota after Christmas. 😊

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Would love to meet up for a play date, if your pup would like one. Huckleberry Park has nice off leash areas... Shoot me a text if you'd like to do this xxxxxxx
Remember that anyone on the internet, not just forum members, can read messages on the forum. I would not post your telephone number here. Why don't you move it to a private message?

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Thank you! Didn't know about private messages. will look into that.
It is called "conversations" here on the Forum"! Click on the person's avatar to start one!

Reactions: Laurasch
1 - 20 of 22 Posts