Havanese Forum banner

East Bay Gathering in early December?

3K views 61 replies 11 participants last post by  LWalks 
#1 ·
Hello all, Ona and I had so much fun in our last meet up that I would love to see if we can have another meet up in the East Bay. Those of you who live on this side of the Bay, do you know of a gathering place as ideal as Redwood Shores? And when would it be a good day? I would like to suggest December 3rd.

I hope you are all doing well. I have been traveling the last two weeks and Ona has been staying with friends -- two different families, one week each. I miss her a lot, and also a bit anxious that our precious routines have been now disturbed. But I return next Saturday and we shall see!

Maria Jesus

#4 ·
Hello all, Ona and I had so much fun in our last meet up that I would love to see if we can have another meet up in the East Bay. Those of you who live on this side of the Bay, do you know of a gathering place as ideal as Redwood Shores? And when would it be a good day? I would like to suggest December 3rd.

I hope you are all doing well. I have been traveling the last two weeks and Ona has been staying with friends -- two different families, one week each. I miss her a lot, and also a bit anxious that our precious routines have been now disturbed. But I return next Saturday and we shall see!

Maria Jesus
Dec 3 is good for Zoie and I. I will think about a location.

#7 ·
We did meet up at Newbark in Newark a while back; it’s about a half hour from Berkeley/Oakland…. I don’t mind driving but my bigger concern is a dog park given the (dog) viruses going around. I can’t think of anywhere quite as good around here as Redwood shores, but let’s give it some thought. We should be around 12/3.

#8 ·

Maria Jesus

Maria Jesus
Zoie and I will attend but I definitely prefer not to go to a dog park.

Pamela

#14 ·
Rita, did we meet you and Pablo at a play date at Jennifer’s house in Oakland (with smidgen?) I have the little black and white parti girl. 😊

Point Isabel is beautiful but definitely can get very crowded w big dogs… what do others think of Albany bulb or another idea?

#15 ·
Am not familiar with Albany Bulb myself— looks to be about 40 min from where I am in Fremont, but doable. Was hoping there was someplace in between, like Hayward or San Leandro, but I don’t personally know of any spots. If no other suggestions, we should be fine to make the trek.

#17 ·
Rita, did we meet you and Pablo at a play date at Jennifer’s house in Oakland (with smidgen?) I have the little black and white parti girl. 😊

Point Isabel is beautiful but definitely can get very crowded w big dogs… what do others think of Albany bulb or another idea?

Yes, hI! That was us! Jolene right???
Albany bulb works well for us. I took Pablo there once and he loved it. He jumped into the ocean 🌊 which kinda surprised me as he doesn’t really like to get wet!
Pablo and I look forward to seeing you again soon

#18 ·
Jasper is taking a class and the last session is Dec 3rd from 11-12 in Berkeley (Live Oak Park) so for me it depends upon what time. One thing to keep in mind is that it will be colder by Dec 3rd. Probably a high in the low 60s and it is windier near the bay. Most public places that allow dogs will be more crowded on the weekend so I started looking for a business park with a grassy area in hopes of finding something similar to Redwood Shores. I checked a potential area in Alameda but no luck. Some schools are another potential option. Where I used to work the gates were open on the weekend and some people brought their dogs to run off leash. The main challenge is that sometimes there is baseball or soccer practice.

#19 ·
I spent a little time researching leash laws in the east bay. Most cities require dogs to be on leash in public places unless they are in a dog park. I think Albany may have a more liberal law but I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly.

I started thinking more about private locations and came across this Sniffspot. You can rent someone's private fenced yard. Oakland, California Dog Parks for Rent | Sniffspot. I checked out Oakland because that's where I happen to live. Most are $10-$15 per dog per hour.

#20 ·
Yes, that’s a great thought— there is a nice gated grassy area near one of our local
Elementary schools, Bringhurst Elementary that may be perfect as I don’t believe they use it for soccer or anything (new development), but I suspect it may be too much of a trek for some of you in the East Bay, correct?. It’s in the south portion of Fremont. Just had a thought— do we have a rain contingency plan? Variables of winter weather…

#22 ·
Another idea… Trying to think of places that might be like redwood shores, Rob had the idea of POPOS- privately owned public open spaces. There are a bunch of SF that I know, but not familiar w most of these spots in Oakland.

Anyone know any of these places in Oakland? Privately-Owned Public Open Spaces - Oakland - LocalWiki

I love the sniff spot idea, but it could be a little risky given that we may get rained out in December. Maybe something to try next dry season?

#23 ·
Hello! Back from my two weeks away and catching up with all the messages about this meet up. I am in Berkeley and my building (fourplex) has an enclosed parking lot that we tenants use as a yard. It’s not pretty and there is no grass, but it has some patio furniture for the humans to sit down and enough space for a limited number of doggies to zoom around. It may not be worth it for some people to a drive long distance to, but convenient for the locals. Let me know. All I have to do it’s tell my neighbors so that they know we will be using the space.

#29 ·
I found this sniff spot in Oakland with a maximum of 20 dogs. $12 per hour per dog, Half off all dogs after the first dog. Agua Vista Hangout

#30 ·
This one also has a max of 20 dogs. In el Cerrito Taste of the countryside! Ultra dog friendly, tons of space! Proceeds benefit dog rescue ❤

#33 ·
Works for me if we can get at least five dogs! Otherwise, I offer my place in Berkeley. Room to run around for the doggies (bigger than a regular backyard) and patio furniture for us to sit down. I am in south Berkeley near the Ashby / Telegraph intersection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.