Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Karen
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good to know - so glad you found out what to do early enough. You could probably use a baby "medicine syringe" to also force it down her. We give our other dog Potassium Bromide 2x daily for Epilepsy and she hates it. The syringe work pretty well too. So, just like a teaspoon or so?
Karen

· Registered
4,118 Posts
Glad Gracie is better! She remind me of Beamer.. He was 5.5lbs at 6months old.. he was pretty small for his age.. but now he is almost 10lbs at 11 months old tomorrow! Wow.. where did the time go?!

Ryan

· Kubrick & Hitchcock's Mom
7,758 Posts
Karen, it's actually more like 1 tablespoon (that's what I was told for a 10lb dog). If the dog doesn't throw up right away, you an administer it up to 3 times within 10 minutes of each administration until the dog throws up. It's a good thing to know for emergencies.

· Registered
1 Posts
hey dont even worry about the almond thing. i know you are probably not freaking out about it anymore but just to reassure you even better we give my dog Xander almonds instead of dog treats! We bite them in half and then give him half all the time. we even told the vet and he thought it was fine!

· Registered
11,474 Posts
Oh Karen, I just read this thread. I am so happy that Gracie is OK. I am glad to know about the peroxide. That is good thing to keep by the sink-- where do you get a baby syringe?

· Karen
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Missy - You know those little "droppers" or syringes (without the needle) the pharmacy gives to you to measure liquid medicine for kids. The syringes would probably work better than the "droppers" when you are forcing it down them. Ask the pharmacy for a freebie, or you may be able to find them for sale there if they won't give you one. Vets also give them out for animals.

Karen

· Kimberly
9,479 Posts
Diane, I've referred to that site in the past for other things, but didn't recall seeing that particular video. Knowing how to use hydrogen peroxide for inducing vomiting is a great tool to have in your head! Thanks for sharing that link.

G

·
I think I did read somewhere that you are not suppose to induce vomiting if they swallow
something caustic as it can cause more damage coming back up...can anyone elaborate on this?

· Pablo&Chuy's momma
4,264 Posts
Yes, you don't want to induce vomiting if someone (some'dog') ingested acids or alkalines, because they damage the esophagus&co. when they go down and will do so once again if they come up (vomiting). So the induced vomiting is only good for non-irritating stuff.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts