Havanese Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Jasper to the beach with my granddaughter yesterday. He loved running around and digging. I didn't have any reason to think he was eating sand although it was all over his face. He ate dinner when we got home and a few hours later his poop was loose and a bit runny. I thought it was due to something he ate. Possibly at the beach or some new food I tried. This morning I discovered his poop contained a little sand. I read dogs can get impacted from eating sand and he is less active this morning than usual. I'll be calling my vet's office but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this. It sounds like a potential nightmare.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Even before the vet's office opened, Jasper began eating and pooping like normal. I'm left still wondering how big a problem this is? Is it common for dogs to accidently ingest some sand as they play? One website suggested not letting them dig or pick up any sandy toys. Seriously?

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,443 Posts
Even before the vet's office opened, Jasper began eating and pooping like normal. I'm left still wondering how big a problem this is? Is it common for dogs to accidently ingest some sand as they play? One website suggested not letting them dig or pick up any sandy toys. Seriously?
I am not sure about sand but my yorkie digs like a maniac and in the process consumes some dirt. He has been doing this for 13 years and is very healthy.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,792 Posts
I can't imagine that SMALL amounts of sand could hurt him. If he he ate large amounts of sand I'm sure it wouldn't be good! Dogs are on beaches all the time, and they re always picking things up. Sand gets in their mouths. Sand gets swallowed. Im not saying a dog NEVER gets sick from it, but it's certainly not high on the list of things I'd worry about in life with my dogs! I want my dogs to be able to enjoy life!

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Water dog

·
Registered
36 Posts
After coming back from a week at the beach, I agree. I think we all consumed a bit of sand and had no ill effects though I was a little concerned about sand getting in Nikko's eyes since he was rubbing his head in it. It was an unwarranted concern, also.

·
Registered
943 Posts
We often have sandy poops after the beach! Mostly just annoying as it’s more difficult to clean up 😂 I’d say the water is a bigger risk than the sand around here (Lepto, Giardia…), so we’re always sure to bring lots of fresh water with us and offer it frequently!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,792 Posts
We often have sandy poops after the beach! Mostly just annoying as it’s more difficult to clean up 😂 I’d say the water is a bigger risk than the sand around here (Lepto, Giardia…), so we’re always sure to bring lots of fresh water with us and offer it frequently!
I remember "loaded sandy diapers" when my kids were little! LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: LWalks
1 - 9 of 9 Posts