Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Paige,
I have done a lot of reading on this. I have a white dog also. I have heard the parsley thing, but never tried it. There is a product called Eye Envy that works pretty well. I will find a link for it.

Also, if you try to clean the eye area everyday it does help a lot.Try not to let that red gunk get on any other hair. I have also heard only letting them drink bottled, distilled water. I have tried it
all but never really stayed on anything. I wasnt dedicated enough.

http://www.eyeenvy.com/

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have also done alot of reading up on this subject, i have heard about parsley, and vinager in the water. i use a product called angles glow, this is a powder sprinkled into the food daily, and works from within, it is fantastic and really works well, it does take time but i have been using it daily for about 2 months and the staining has almost gone.http://www.angelsglow.com/

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I didn't realize that the tear stains could be caused by yeast! So, since Oreo's food does not contain any beets and he drinks filtered water, I decided to try the Bio K. I take it daily and every other day, I let him clean out the bottle. Well, I must say, his eyes are clearing after about a week of doing this. So now, I am using the diamond eye to clear the red staining :) I love when things work out by fluke :)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
My problem is that my girls cannot have anything other than their prescribed food, so any additives could be a problem for them. When I cook with parsley, I have tried to give them a piece for their breath (it works on us humans) but they will not eat it. My girls also drink only distilled water - sooo I am stumped as to why Lily is getting the stains again. I guess I have to try a topical treatment

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I have been very lucky with Kodi. Even though he is a very light color, he doesn't have tear staining. And he doesn't have a very good diet, even though I add vitamins, etc. to his food.

When I first saw pics of Shelby, I thought her face was brown, but it was tear staining. Her eyes tear alot more than Kodi's. But with a little cleaning and grooming, her staining has cleared up a bit. It's also a little harder to see because of her black coat.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Bio K is an acidophilus supplement that is made of yogurt or soy. It is such a small bottle only 98ml and as humans you drink 1/2 - 1 bottle per day to supplement. I started on it myself as I am doing a detox, and figured is some of the reddish tear stain could be caused by yeast then if it works for us, why not dogs? As he is so little, I just let him clean up the bottle after I have finished it off. It has worked for him and now his tearing is clear. He still tears, his hair is getting in his eyes and it isn't long enough to clip, but at least the tears aren't red anymore. Now I am just focusing on cleaning the stains he has now with the diamond eye. I am sure it will clear up with time :)

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
My vet offered amoxicillan, but I hate to give anti-biotics just for the staining. I wish I could find a healthy solution like that.
Beverly

·
Registered
159 Posts
those ugly and annoying tear stains

Parker has had terrible tear staining-
I have also become an expert on trying everything and doing lots of research. First, check to make sure you dog does not have an ear infection. It is just that this aggravates the problem of tear production.
Check the food to see that it does not have coloring or dye in it.
Teething also increases the production of the tears that seems to make it worse as well.
I have used Angels Eyes which is a powder that I mix into some mushed liver treats. It is amazing to see the difference over about 1 month. The powder does taste bitter, so if your dog refuses once, do not give up. Keep trying- Parker seemed to acquire a taste for it and looks forward to it now. (of course mixed with his liver treat)
I also use Eye Envy to clean the area- they are little pads that you soak in liquid, and then use this white powder after the area is as clean as you can get it. Eventually, it does get better- we are not at the perfectly clear stage, but I wil try to post before and after pictures so you can see the difference. The area was black and gunkey looking besides the red staining. (And Parker is white)Some of the staining on the whiskers will eventually be cut off with the next haircut. Nobody seemed to take me seriously when I said that it so unsightly and that that guk accululation can't be feeling good either!
Goog Luck and let us know how it is going!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just my 2 bits, from what I started trying last week. Our white Minka (8 months old) didn't have the worst case, (and worse from one eye than the other), but after seeing pictures and reading, I was then always noticing it and wishing gone.

I also started the AngelEyes about 10 days ago. Mentioned in luchetel post. ("AngelsGlow" might be similar?) Someone mentioned "2 months", but I see within just 1 week, with the same amount of manual eye cleaning, it appears to be way better; nearly gone already? Maybe I'll update later.

At their website, www.angelseyesonline.com, you can see lots of photos with testimonials. Some others also said effect within a week. It's kind of spendy, but will try cutting back later; or try additional other supplement. I don't REALLY know how good this stuff is for a dog and wasn't anticipating having to give it for the next 15 years; oh well. We also switched to filtered water, since we always have a pitcher on our counter anyway -- one of those common Brita filters.

I sprinkle it on smallish amount of her kibble for her morning meal and add warm water to make a gravy -- wetting it so that she doesn't scatter the powder out on the floor -- and exclaim to her what good meal it is. She's been gobbing it up right from the start, although I'm guessing it's the warm gravy instead of dry kibble that pleases her.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I would love to try the angel eyes on Lily, as she has been stain free for 3 years and all of a sudden starting again. Her ears are clear and she is healthy and on the same food - so who knows. My question is that she cannot break down minerals in food, so is on special vet SO diet. She cannot have people food, or any treats. Would this Angel Eyes something I should try or stay far away from it? What is in it?
Laurie

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing about the Tylan. I think I saw it somewhere but wasn't sure if I trusted the source versus getting the AngelsEyes. Antibiotic doesn't really sound great for long term use?... but I don't know how it compares to human antibiotics; and on the other hand, if the red color is due to yeast/bacteria, preferable not to have that.

As whitB mentioned, I may try a healthy probiotic too.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
My Oreo is not tearing with those red stains anymore - I guess it was yeast. I have heard that you can give them plain yogurt as well - not as costly either :) I just focus on keeping the eye area clean on a daily basis, but I am happy he does not get that reddish brown staining anymore. I am all for natural, for myself and my family. I figured why not try it out, Acidophilus and bifidius (sp?) in small quantities never hurt anyone, as a matter of fact it helps our digestive system, so why not in dogs. That's my 2 cents and the good thing about it is I used it for about 2 weeks and every other day :) If he gets it again I know what to do now.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
I was just re-reading all the advice on this post---Jasper, had awful, really bad red/brown eye stains when we got him- he was eating purina one, due to his finickyness and also wanting only the best for my boy- I switched to a (well, many different) higher end kibbles and even raw(cooked) the finickyness went on but the tear stains cleared up. Along comes Cash, eating purina pro plan-- Jasper it seems will eat what ever the puppy eats- I'm very happy, one food for both and "he's eating!" but now one month later- his eye stains have returned :( not sure what I will do- I am happy he is eating, and I don't want to start switching kibbles and make Cash finicky, but boy I hate those red tear stains...:(

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,359 Posts
I also heard that you can give 1/2 regular strength Tums twice a day and it should help with time. It changes the acidity of the tears and makes them run clear. I imagine that it would take at least 2 to 3 weeks to see results.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dear Missy_Frederick

I so understand what you are saying about making life easier feeding both the same food- and oh how I hated those awful uchy tear stains.

Two thoughts- first- is there any dye in the purina chow. That is a "no- no"-in any case. (at least for those nuts like me that try to keep things as pure as possible for the family- most of the time. The kibble we use is "Nutro Natural Choice Lamb Meal and Rice Formula". It is only good for up to a one year old, but I am sre they have a forumla for after that.

I would start by giving a tablespoon of plain yogurt to Jasper each day- It certainly can't hurt, and I am finding that it is keeping the tear stains to an acceptable minimum for Parker. The improvement from where we started is incredible. I use Greek yogurt because it not only tastes better but has a different pro-biotic then say Dannnon or Stonyfield- but if you can't find it any yogurt that has live bacteria will probably do. I had begun my "attack" on the stains with "Angels Eyes" which really started us off clearing it up (it contains a "natural"(?) antibiotic- the theory being that the staining is caused by a yeast infection. After 3 months, I decided to switch to the yogurt and it has improved even more. Also, make sure that the hair is trimmed near the eyes so that it does not irritate the eys which then causes more tears which then gets stained by the production of yeast in the tears.

So, this is a lot of info- but it seems like Jasper is at least in part reacting to something in the food that is triggering this off.
If you are not up to doing the food switch at this time, try cleaning the area very well every night (I use "Eye Envy" a combo they have with a powder that you apply after the cleaning) and give Jasper the yogurt . It does take awhile, be patient.
Good Luck!
Lynn U

·
Registered
47 Posts
Guess i should of thought and mentioned this sooner, when I first brought Derian home he had tear stains. I caught my 14 year old filling his water bowl up with tap water instead of filling it up with spring water we have delivered to our home in 5 gallon jugs which is placed on a portable cooler. For about the first month he had a reddish tear stain on his white near the muzzle.

After telling my kids to make sure they use the spring water as I suspected it could be the PH of the tap water causing this, I noticed his tear stains have vanished while utilizing the bottled spring water.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I thought the same thing at one point, but my guys are on distilled water all the time, and Lily got her stains back! She had then as a puppy, then was fine for about 1 1/2 years, and now she is staining again. No change in food or water - strange :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts