Havanese Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What technique does everyone use doing a facial wash on their pups without getting everything else wet?

Products used?

Air dry? Comb lightly? How often are the facial scrubs done?

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
I stand the dog up on the counter with their feet at the edge of the sink. I take a papertowel, and get it wet with water. I wipe their muzzle/eye area down, then put a little shampoo on my fingers. (Yes I have to hold the back of their head with my other hand, as this is not their idea of a good time!) I rub a small ammount of shampoo onto their muzzle, then rince it using the damp papertowel. I wipe the paper towel on their muzzle, then rince it under the water, then wipe their face again, rince the towel again etc etc until I am sure I have all the shampoo out. Then I towel dry their face and let them run! The whole process takes maybe 3-5 min. Sometimes their chest or their feet will get a bit wet- no big deal!

·
My Dogs Mom
3,476 Posts
I just use a little finishing comb and comb out the face including the eye junk. I only occasionally use water.
Carole

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I like Katie's technique. I think I'll try that once a week. A few times a week, I've been soaking a cotton square with water and washing the eye gunk and muzzle area. I also use a comb there like Carole to get the eye stuff off.
Gina

·
Sharlene
3,098 Posts
I do exactly as Katie describes except I do it on the floor. I use the SPA blueberry facial scrub about 3 times a week. On a daily basis I just use water (which hopefully gets the rest of the soap out that I didn't). I usually do it daily to get the eye goop out. Evye just puts her head on my leg and willingly lets me do it...it's still a fight with Bentley. He will get used to it just like she did.

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was really the first time that Dexter really got a good face wash was in the sink, he was standing, wet his muzzle, then shampoo, and really washed his face. I tried to get a good lather up, which would not build, so I added more shampoo.....Dump idea! Because now, I have to get the soap out!:brick::brick:

Dexter stands really close to be when he is bathing, so it is kind of hard holding Dexter and doing everything else with one hand.

I used baby shampoo. The process took about 10 minutes with a light comb and no dry.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
I do similar to Katie except I use a big measuring cup with a little spicket and pour the water. Belle eats raw and gets tear staining and is just a messy little dog so she needs hardcore face washing a few times a week. I put the towel under neath and keep them on the edge of the sink and pour the water down and soap them up and pour more water down. Then use the same towel on their face and just kind of squeegee the water off.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Amanda you mean you pour the water over the top of their muzzle? they let you do that? I'd feel like I was getting waterboarded - lol! Actually that sounds easier than wiping if it works. I wonder if there's a product or maybe a soapy dilution I could make that would help get the crusties out without having to really do a face shampoo. I used water and a washcloth for that on my yorkie, but it was really hard to get her muzzle and eyes clean that way. It typically required a real bath where that area was soaked for awhile.

·
Tori's mom
4,988 Posts
I start by using a flea comb and combing out what I can. Then we head to the sink, put on a plastic baby bib :baby: to help keep her chest/legs/feet dry. I wet a washcloth, wet her muzzle and chin well, apply baby shampoo or the Blueberry Facial wash. Scrub lightly w/my fingers (I use my nails to help dislodge and remove any larger pieces of "stuff"). I then rinse, rinse, rinse using the washcloth. When she's squeaky clean, I dry w/another dry washcloth, bib comes off, she's put on the floor, and runs like crazy to the fridge where she waits for her baby carrot :hungry: because ALL grooming sessions in Tori's life end w/a treat! :biggrin1:

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Diane- when they were younger I would hold them by the chin hair (the technique my grooming friend taught me for all facial grooming) but now they are all older and know if they lift their head, they will be flooded and they trust me.

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The baby bib (Plastic) is a great idea! A big bib that is, so you can protect the chest and feet from getting wet. You can pour water on the dog's muzzle as long as the head of the dog is DOWN.

Are you cleaning the head and eye area when doing a facial wash?

·
Tori's mom
4,988 Posts
Linda~ Like Katie, I clean the eye/muzzle area, and because Tori eats raw, she also gets her mouth/chin area washed, too.

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a good plan! My dh will think I have totally lost my mind when he sees a baby bib in the house for Dexter!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts