Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure that our little girl is pretty independent compared to other Havanese. She is a lap dog between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. After that she prefers to lay on the back of the sofa to watch out for any cars, deer, or wild turkeys that may be cruising by. If I am sitting on the sofa any other times of the day, she will just look at me if I call her to come sit on my lap. Our snuggle time is over in her mind. She will play or go on a walk, or ride in the golf cart...but sit on my lap... nope. I would love to take her with me when I run errands in the car, but she still gets car sick. She does sleep in her bed, which is right next to my side of the bed. I am sure that if I let her sleep in our bed she would think that was pretty amazing. During the busy parts of the day she doesn't seem to be the velcro dog that other Havanese tend to be. If I try to hold her, she wiggles till she is free. She will follow me if I go into the kitchen, but her motivation is the hope food will fall on the floor.:LOL: She will occasionally follow me to other parts of the house, but probably only 20 % of the time. I'm fine with all of this. I'm just wondering if she seems more independent comparatively to other Havies.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Nope, that seems pretty normal :). We actually should do a poll here, but anytime this comes up in discussion it seems like many people say the same - despite popular belief, Havs are not really lap dogs. Perry puts up with being on my lap lately because he's been on restriction so spends more time on my lap than usual - but if he's in control of where he goes,lap time tends to be about 20 minutes right before bed. Otherwise, during the day, he prefers to be on the couch or his bed or the floor, sometimes near me, almost always where he can see me, but not on me.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Shadow is not a lap dog. He is an independent Hav. but he does not like to be alone. He cuddles in bed for 10 minutes and wants to go to his crate nearby to sleep. But if he knows I am going out, he does not wish to be in that crate even for treats. Any time of day, he is happy to nap in the crate or one of his beds.
I wish he were cuddlier and more of a Velcro dog. He was like that for the first few weeks then as he grew accustomed to being here, he grew more independent. But being "alone", is still hard for him.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, that seems pretty normal :). We actually should do a poll here, but anytime this comes up in discussion it seems like many people say the same - despite popular belief, Havs are not really lap dogs. Perry puts up with being on my lap lately because he's been on restriction so spends more time on my lap than usual - but if he's in control of where he goes,lap time tends to be about 20 minutes right before bed. Otherwise, during the day, he prefers to be on the couch or his bed or the floor, sometimes near me, almost always where he can see me, but not on me.
Oh that is so interesting! We should do a poll! I just thought she would be in my lap more because of some things I had read before getting her. I have only met two other Havanese owners in person. Both were holding their dogs. One lady was being pushed in a wheelchair and the other was walking around a store with her dog in her arms. I thought, "No way would Bun Bun let me carry her around like that... or sit while I was being pushed."

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
I don't think ANYONE has ever said that the majority of them are "lap dogs". Most of them want to be "with" their people. Not not" their people. They are NOT those silly, fru-fru, "pocket book" dogs that want to be carried around all the time, thank you very much! LOL! Or not the VAST majority of them! They are COMPANION dogs. I only have one that wants to sit in my lap with any regularity, and that's Panda. And even with her, it's not an all the time thing. But when she needs my lap, she NEEDS my lap. And she doesn't stay that long. We have a cuddle, and then she goes back to her spot, sleeping g by my feet under my desk. And we have a very special bond.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Sundance loves to be carried around and picked up. As long as it’s on HIS terms. He likes the view, and I think it makes him feel important. If other dogs or unfamiliar people are around he would never allow it. He lays on my lap if I’ve been gone for a while, which feels a little possessive, and after a bath, and that’s about it. If I want him to sit with me I can get him to by scratching around his head and ears in a certain way that relaxes him, or have some kind of food nearby. He doesn’t have to eat the food - he’ll lay on my lap very sweetly or rest his chin on me if it’s just nearby. It’s hopeful but not demanding so I don’t mind. Sometimes he’ll lay right next to me, but I think that has more to do with positioning himself to see out the window best. His preference is the floor by my feet or the air conditioning vent closest to where I am.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Most of the time, Charlotte will follow me around the house including the bathroom! Since I’ve been working from home she will split her time between me and my husband during the day. If she is really conflicted, she will lay on the landing of the stairs so she has a view of both of us at the same time!

We all agree that she is most content when we are all home together.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maple's very much like others here too. She's always around me or follow another family member, but not a lap girl for sure. There was once when she was on my lap & got ready to walk away. I wasnt quite ready to let her go :) & wanted more cuddle time, so pulled her back on my lap. She stayed but let out a sigh (probably thinking "fine, I'll stay, :rolleyes:humans are so needy"), so I let her go soon after that :):p

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Oh that is so interesting! We should do a poll! I just thought she would be in my lap more because of some things I had read before getting her. I have only met two other Havanese owners in person. Both were holding their dogs. One lady was being pushed in a wheelchair and the other was walking around a store with her dog in her arms. I thought, "No way would Bun Bun let me carry her around like that... or sit while I was being pushed."
While they may not prefer to be in a lap or carried, Perry (and many others I think) at least puts up with it when necessary - but if he's given a choice he will choose to be on the ground moving on his own. He's been on restriction for the last 4 months which means lots of carrying and sitting on my lap (when we're out somewhere). When I carry him he'll mold himself to me and look very content so would appear to like being carried, but given even the slightest indication that I'm going to put him on the ground he's scrambling to get there as quickly as possible :). Same with being on my lap, when he knows that's where he's "stuck" he relaxes and lays there, but if he has a choice, he'll move where he can be on his own.

I do carry Perry most of the time when we're in stores because I find it safer and he doesn't mind (in fact, in those situations he's probably happy to be carried because it gets him away from any scary things).

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
Willow is pretty much the same. She prefers my lap in the winter especially if I have a blanket over my legs. I think she may get too warm on my lap in summer months. She is never on my lap for very long. However, she needs to know where I am. If I go for a walk by myself she sits on top of the sofa and watches for me. If I go to the bathroom, she shoves the door open to find me. If both my husband and I go in different directions in the house, she will follow one of us to see where we go and then go find the other one. She always wants both of us together. Maybe she was a herding dog in a prior life.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Perry reminded me a few minutes ago that the only place / time that he consistently WANTS to be on my lap is when I'm sitting on the toilet - someone explain that one to me! LOL :oops:
They ALL follow me in... no one ever explained "privacy" to them. But FORTUNATELY, non have ever tried to get in my lap!!! LOL!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ernie is definitely on the independent side. He does sleep against me on the couch frequently but it usually doesn’t last long because I can’t resist petting him. One place he loves being in my lap is outside in a lawn chair. He’s still confined to about 30% of the house so he doesn’t have the luxury of following anyone around but I look forward to those days. He doesn’t seem to mind being carried however if he suspects he’s going to be put in his pen or outside he refuses and snarls. He’s taught us a lot about how to respect small dogs.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yep Flo is just the same! Follows me everywhere but not really interested in lap snuggling😤. She does like to snuggle up against me in bed first thing in the morning for about 20 minutes, when we first go back upstairs after I have let her out for her morning wee. She is such a time waster and I am late for everything but how can you resist when these are the only voluntary snuggles I get all day🤷‍♀️😘

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Yep Flo is just the same! Follows me everywhere but not really interested in lap snuggling😤. She does like to snuggle up against me in bed first thing in the morning for about 20 minutes, when we first go back upstairs after I have let her out for her morning wee. She is such a time waster and I am late for everything but how can you resist when these are the only voluntary snuggles I get all day🤷‍♀️😘
This is Panda’s favorite snuggle time too! ❤

In her case, I think it is her way of gently “claiming” me. She is the only dog on the bed all night, but most of the night, she just sleeps sprawled out between us. In the morning, when they ALL get on the bed for a snuggle, she has to be RIGHT against me, under my arm, as if to say, “This is MY mom!” But unlike Pixel with Dave, she is never “guardy” about it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ahhh, ok, I wasn’t quite sure if this was the case, so it’s helpful to hear everyone’s story here. I found a trick that gets Chase to calm down and snuggle for a bit because he is a very busy boy and loves to zoom around and snuggle only occasionally. I massage him! With a lighter touch of course but he pretty much melts and lays down, at least for a little while. He DOES like to sit with hubby in the recliner. They have the male bonding thing happening 😂!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Ahhh, ok, I wasn’t quite sure if this was the case, so it’s helpful to hear everyone’s story here. I found a trick that gets Chase to calm down and snuggle for a bit because he is a very busy boy and loves to zoom around and snuggle only occasionally. I massage him! With a lighter touch of course but he pretty much melts and lays down, at least for a little while. He DOES like to sit with hubby in the recliner. They have the male bonding thing happening 😂!
PART of that is teenage "puppyness" they settle and snuggle more once they are fully adult. People are often surprised that they soft sleepy cuddly puppy they take one turns into a whirling dervish. That was probably even MORE of a surprise for YOU, because Chase was a REALLY, chill LITTLE puppy. But I suspect you will see that chill personality re-emerge as he gets past his "teen rebel" stage! LOL!

THIS is how I remember Chase! LOL!

Grey Carnivore Dog breed Comfort Companion dog

·
Registered
379 Posts
PART of that is teenage "puppyness" they settle and snuggle more once they are fully adult. People are often surprised that they soft sleepy cuddly puppy they take one turns into a whirling dervish. That was probably even MORE of a surprise for YOU, because Chase was a REALLY, chill LITTLE puppy. But I suspect you will see that chill personality re-emerge as he gets past his "teen rebel" stage! LOL!

THIS is how I remember Chase! LOL!

View attachment 175898
Oooh that is one of my very favorite photos of him! 🥰 TBH, even if he didn’t settle, there’s not a thing I’d change. I love him to pieces and he’s perfect just as he is. He is such a little clown and constantly keeps us laughing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts