Havanese Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am pretty sure that our little girl is pretty independent compared to other Havanese. She is a lap dog between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. After that she prefers to lay on the back of the sofa to watch out for any cars, deer, or wild turkeys that may be cruising by. If I am sitting on the sofa any other times of the day, she will just look at me if I call her to come sit on my lap. Our snuggle time is over in her mind. She will play or go on a walk, or ride in the golf cart...but sit on my lap... nope. I would love to take her with me when I run errands in the car, but she still gets car sick. She does sleep in her bed, which is right next to my side of the bed. I am sure that if I let her sleep in our bed she would think that was pretty amazing. During the busy parts of the day she doesn't seem to be the velcro dog that other Havanese tend to be. If I try to hold her, she wiggles till she is free. She will follow me if I go into the kitchen, but her motivation is the hope food will fall on the floor.:LOL: She will occasionally follow me to other parts of the house, but probably only 20 % of the time. I'm fine with all of this. I'm just wondering if she seems more independent comparatively to other Havies.

So I have a Velcro pup! Jax is 18 months and stuck to me like glue! He likes to sit on my lap any time I sit down. He follows me from room to room and will lay under the desk as I work, he has a pillow under there. If I leave the house he will sit by the door and wait, Recently he has been sitting with Dad but only briefly. So although he is very attached he does not display anxiety when left home with no humans, he is with an older lab and seems content. He will venture outside in the yard alone but for very short periods, then comes charging back in looking for me. Definitely a momma’s boy.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
So I have a Velcro pup! Jax is 18 months and stuck to me like glue! He likes to sit on my lap any time I sit down. He follows me from room to room and will lay under the desk as I work, he has a pillow under there. If I leave the house he will sit by the door and wait, Recently he has been sitting with Dad but only briefly. So although he is very attached he does not display anxiety when left home with no humans, he is with an older lab and seems content. He will venture outside in the yard alone but for very short periods, then comes charging back in looking for me. Definitely a momma’s boy.
Awww, he sounds adorable! Yes, there IS a variation! Some are definitely more "Velcro" than others!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Wish I had the time to actually read this thread. Instead, I gave a LIKE to the photo of Chase and am just adding that Shama likes to know where we are and occasionally lie next to ShamaPapa, but the only times she likes to lie on me are in the lower level where I never groom her on my lap and on the upper level DURING grooming. She has figured out that if she collapses in my arms, I go "Ohh," and stop grooming her! I'll try to remember to come back to this thread ...
💜 💙 💛 💚 🧡

21 - 23 of 23 Posts