Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Hi! Good choice....you won't be sorry! Valentino LOVES his squeaky, stuffed animal toys. He finds them and grabs them first thing every morning and carries them with him everywhere he goes ALL DAY. His favorite one right now is a dumbell looking one he got for Christmas...gonna have to "swap" it out when he isn't looking cause it's getting rather tattered and yuky! Let us know when you get your baby! Vicki:)

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
I have to agree with Doggie nut, squeaky toys; can't have enough squeaky little balls, squeaky stuffed animals different sizes for as they grow. When my dog first came home he used his favorite "Baby" stuffed animal to sleep with, drag it around by the tail. Today, months later, he ripped out the squeaker and brought it to me, all proud of himself. And don't forget the chews lots of chews!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
It's a good idea to squeak the toys yourself before you buy them. Some can be very annoying squeaked over and over and over again.:D :D

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Pretty much any small stuffed animal with a squeaker in it.

The carrot from Petsmart is a HUGE hit, it's in the cat department.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kodi's favorite is a squeeky lttle ball. I bought 3 of them so he would always have one in case he misplaced it.

Now that Shelby is here, they love to play tug-of-war games, so we have some tug toys. Also, I found those little plush "men" with the squeeker in them, except they are flat and have no stuffing in them. They like them too.
I also found a toy in the human baby section of a store. It is a pull toy that squirms along the floor when you pull its tail. I even have a cat toy that is a mouse and you pull its tail and it moves. :D

All kinds of things keep them entertained. They have a Frisbee. Kodi loves to play catch, even though he hasn't learned to catch it yet. :rolleyes: Now, they play tug with it. Tug seems to be a favorite game with them.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Oh Jodi, I got all excited when you mentioned the carrot. But I must have a different carrot. I agree, all mine like the stuffed squeaky ones. Stogie has a fav purple stuffed bone. He will go get it, no matter where in the house it is, and bring to me each morning. Thats how I wake up, looking at Stogies favorite toy with his face about 2 inches from mine. He just stares at me until I get up. HEHE.

Here is the new carrot which they love.

Attachments

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Oh Melissa, that is too cute!

Where did you get it?

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Thanks~ Looks like we're going to have to make a trip to Petsmart this weekend.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Haha I have only had Mirabel a week and a half but it seems that she prefers the tags to the toys! Anything paper she seems to be fond of. She does seem to really like the toys that make the crinkling sound. She also really likes people feet and dog paws haha.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found an interesting toy by Nylabone that looks like a fish...says it glows in the dark and has a bacon flavor. Has anyone tried this? Is there any danger of the dog attempting to really eat it? Would the bacon flavor rub off on the carpet? :confused:

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Melissa, mine live the carrot too!

The biggest hit around here for amusing play is the Pipsqueak brand toys. They love the duck, the loin and the ocotopus. (I heard the monkey and another one were hardly able to be tolerated because the noise is irritating.) The nice thing about Pipsqueaks is that they are fairly small and you can do "surgery" on them to remove the voicebox if it gets annoying or if it needs washing. Bad thing is that the "voice" doesn't last very long.

I have way too many toys. I keep them in ceramic pots (the only thing I've found that puppies can't chew up) and each dog gets to pick one or two of their own toys at dog shows. Funny thing is that they do favor the ones they pick.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Good Buddy, I haven't tried that one in particular. I wonder if it is one that they can break off and swallow. I stopped buying any regular Nylabone products and now only buy ones that are specifically marked "edible" because they seem to break & swallow them all anyway.

For chewy treats, we (the dogs & I) love the Pearly Whites (available at doggy-gifts.com). They have a rice base and a scent of clove. Several people I know give their dogs one a week to help with tartar on the teeth. (I also brush my dogs' teeth each night, but that's another topic.)

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
Definitely stuffed squeaky toys! Although, Dusty does like the smaller soft latex squeaky ones as well. Her favorite is a green porcupine with a red santa hat. That one used to belong to our last dog. She also particularly loves a squeaky latex dragon. When you squeeze it, it's tongue and tail uncurl and it squeaks. Of course Dusty chewed it's tongue off right away, but the tail has held up well...

She also likes a plush mini build-a-bear and a Hello Kitty that came as Happy Meal toys. I find those in her crate all the time.

Our last dog had a rock as a favorite toy. She carried it in one day when she was young, and it stayed with us till she died, through three moves. She would gnaw on it and carry it around all the time, and she never got tired of it. We still have it. It was up on a shelf and when Dusty came along we got it down for her. It's too big for her to pick it up, but she'll push it around and chew on it.

Of course, there's always q-tips, cotton balls, tissues, pencils (none in our house have an eraser any more), crayons, markers(yes, I have artistic kids!) and Dusty loves to chase the crevice tool when I am vaccuuming. I've got to get video of that! :D

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Sqeeky toys are the favorite here too. Although lily Loves her frisbee!! We throw it outside, she runs to get it, puts one end in her mouth an carries it around the lawn. It is hilarious as she needs to look up into the sky to keep her head high enough for it not to drag on the ground. The problem with buying toys before the pup comes, is that some dont like toys at all. My lexi NEVER plays with toys, or bones, or anything. Luckily Logan & Lily play so much, and fight over every toy that I have several of each kind.
Laurie

·
Halo's Mom
13 Posts
Halo loves her stuffed squeaky toys the best of all. Her next favoriate one is a toy that I made for her. It is really easy. I took a small empty water bottle and placed a few rocks init. She loves to pounce on it and roll it around. It makes a lot of noise and she never knows which way it is going to roll after she lands on it. The end where the cap fits is the right size for her to pick it up and drag it anywhere she wants to. I have spent many of hours laughing at her as she plays with it.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
That is a GREAT idea. the only problem that I think we would have, is biting thru the plastic. Halo doesn't bite thru it? It is an interesting idea to use simple household items - I wonder if there is something out there stronger than water bottle pastic that I could use.
Laurie

1 - 20 of 66 Posts