Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder when taking those walks around the neighborhoods and parks that it is the season for people to pour tons of chemicals (most of which are unsafe! Especially for small dogs) When they are sniffing for a place to go, they could get a whiff of something dangerously toxic, so be careful! Just because *we* may use safe things on our yards, does not mean our neighbors are doing so.

Signs of chemical poisoning::, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive salivation and/or urination, lethargy, pain, tight/swollen abdomen, very similar to pancreatitis and the poisons can kill them or cause cancer(s).

Not trying to scare anyone, I've just noticed this time of year the increase of 'sick' babies we have had, and just to be mindful of what is out there :peace:

Kara

·
Tori's mom
4,988 Posts
Thanks for posting the reminder, Kara. I have to really watch Tori. She loves to eat grass (sometimes I think she's part goat ;)) We were at my DGS soccer game a couple of weeks ago and one of the kids was holding her leash and not paying much attention to what she was doing. When I looked over to see how she was, there she was munching away on the grass growing in the flowerbed :doh:

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, there are *safe* products, but even though we can use them doesn't mean they won't go sniff the neighbor's yard, or a public park.

Last year around this time, Gucci got really sick, horrible diarrhea, lethargy, I was so scared and worried about her and I know it was something toxic that caused it. That day, I had applied her frontline (which had never caused a reaction before, BUT..that doesn't necessarily mean anything) AND...we took a walk around the neighborhood, that chlorine smell of yard chemicals and Gucci sniffing around the trees and corners for a place to leave her mark. I honestly did not even think about it at the time, I guess we all assume that they have a 6th sense not to sniff certain dangerous things, but put a lumping pile of poo on it or a squirrel trail, then that really won't deter them too much.

I guess point is, in retrospect, I think that poisoning she got, which was alot of the same symptoms as pancreatitis was something she came in contact with that day on our walk. I tell my DH now to keep a fast pace in the street and only go to yards where you know they don't care about their grass, lol.. Really, though.....they are so little, small amounts can really effect them in a big way.

Kara

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here is a great page with resources about lawn chemicals and pesticides, and alternatives:

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/lawn/index.htm

Also, I can't help but add that applying a product like Frontline or Advantage to your dog is applying pesticide (Central Nervous System Modulators) directly to them, so sometimes people may think the culprit is someone else's lawn when in fact it is around the same time they applied their flea control product. In a toxic reaction, it can have the same symptoms because it is also a pesticide.

Here is a fact sheet for Fipronil, the active ingredient in Frontline, developed for commercial turf and flea regulation on animals.

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/pesticides/factsheets/Fipronil.pdf

·
Registered
500 Posts
Funny this topic showed up today because I just found out this afternoon that they apt I live in fertilized the lawn the week before Sissy got so ill but they didn't put up any signs like the last place I lived did so I had no idea it had even been done. I am now thinking that there is a very good chance it was the fertilizer that caused all of her problems this past weekend.....

·
Julie
1,441 Posts
I learned this the hard way. Piper was vomiting and lethargic for about 24 hours after she had spent the day at my parents house. Just like with Sissy, I didn't find out until later that they had fertilized the lawn the day before. Even if they don't eat the grass, they may lick their paws when they come inside. I try to be really careful about where we walk now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank you for the warning! We should always be aware of our dogs actions. They must always be at close watch. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just posted in another thread that my hav had a seizure yesterday for the first time. Coincidentally, the gardener had come the day before. I was wondering if he might have gotten some chemicals on his paws or inhaled something. I wiped his paws and tried to keep him off my lawn,but there were several gardeners trucks out. After reading about some of these pesticides, it doesn't seem out of the question.

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just posted on your seizure thread and I don't think you should dismiss it as a possibility, it is something quite controllable in the future (well, somewhat) I guess the problem lies in people not knowing what type of chemicals were put on every patch of grass they see. I wouldn't treat for a seizure disorder until it happens when not being exposed to any chemicals,

I do know that this is high season for lawn treatment, so I'm leary to even take her on a walk. This weekend, I'll be able to smell the chemicals as soon as I open my door or window from all of the neighbors putting fertilizer out.

I know they say to wipe their feet, and that probably works better for big dogs who can't get a dangerous dose by sniffing for a spot to pee, but small breeds, they are really overpowered by small amounts of the stuff

@ Lily~I have done alot of thinking and research on that since we talked about it and I am going with all natural treatments now, The last few doses of frontline she had, she only had 2 drops out of the whole tube (like maybe 1/25th of it,) so whats the point? I'm convinced that is why she got so sick last year (combo of frontline and lawn chemicals on the walk we took that day) I'm lucky she is alive, she was SO sick I was really afraid.

Kara

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the warning. This year, I decided to apply organic fertilizer. Well, that didn't go so well either. Read this guy's review of the product and that is pretty much what happened at my house. It took a full week until Poppy stopped wanted to eat this stuff so we kept her out of the yard the whole week.

http://www.cleverdonkey.com/1562-my-dogs-eat-scotts-organic-choice-lawn-food/
Yikes!!

Yeah, I don't think I'd like that too much. Hate flies and even worse, them eating something I don't even know what it is out of a bag from home depot! Yikes!

Kara

·
Registered
332 Posts
Organic is such an overused word nowadays, it is hard for the consumer to discern what is actually natural and safe and what is just green-washing. After all in chemistry terms, Organic just means that something has a chain of carbon. Benzene is Organic.

This is a helpful sheet on determining what is natural safe and non-toxic and what isnt--

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/infoservices/pesticidesandyou/Summer 2008/green-consumer-claims.pdf

This is a good healthy lawn guide that includes some certified Organic fertilizers:
http://www.beyondpesticides.org/pesticidefreelawns/resources/Read Your Weeds-Organic Lawns.pdf

@Kara--For me so far I have had no problems using the Brewers Yeast and the Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses. The brewers yeast makes their skin taste and smell terrible to fleas and ticks which seems like it would be more logical than something that kills fleas and ticks that get on the dog. After reading about all the dogs who have gotten sick from the topical products and people who have found ticks on their dogs while using them, it just doesn't seem worth it at all, even if I could use them.

Thanks for posting this reminder for people, hopefully it will save some dogs from being very ill this Spring.

Meghan

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
@Lily-how much brewers yeast do you feed? Do you do the apple cider vinegar rinses at bath time and how often?

@ Kara-thanks for the post

@wav-hmmm. That is scary having them want to eat it so badly and not really knowing what it is.

You have all given me good food for thought and I will be talking to our lawn guy and figuring something out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Lynne,

You can use 1 teaspoon unprocessed Brewer's Yeast in the food, but there are tablets now that combine it with garlic for extra flea repellent properties and 1 tablet for a 10 pound dog is great, if you dog tolerates it well (no yeast allergy) you can double it during peak flea season.

Here are some options:
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Brewers-Yeast---Garlic-Tablets/999045.aspx

Amazon.com: Four Paws Brewers Yeast with Garlic Tablets For Dogs and Cats: Kitchen & Dining

As for the Apple Cider Vinegar, Bragg is a good brand, but you can really get any brand, I would go for the most unfiltered organic one you can find. You can put 1 Teaspoon in their daily water for them to drink (which is also great for health), or take a plastic pitcher at bathtime and put 1/4 ACV and the rest water. You can also put it in a spray bottle and spray it on itchy skin and hot spots.

Amazon.com: Apple Cider Vinegar (Organic) 32 fl.oz: Health & Personal Care

Meghan

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Thanks, Meghan

I have some Brewer's Yeast I will try and I drink Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar and will see if the animals will drink it in their water. Might take some getting used to.

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Meghan! I need to order some of the tablets, I swear I spend so much money at all natural pet, lol Love that store! And I have been meaning to start taking ACV myself, I hear its good for people like me. I may have brewers yeast already in one of her many supplements, I"ll have to go check the labels.

We have our flea problems mostly aug-Nov. here, What do you do with the acv? Do you dilute it with water and final rinse after the bath or put it on her in full strength form

Kara

·
Registered
332 Posts
Kara,

My friend Autumn has been drinking in in her water bottle all day and says it great. I think you can do two tablespoons a day in your water. I have to be careful with vinegar and fermented products because I am sensitive (mold) but have heard good things. If you mix it wish a little raw honey in the water its bit like a bitter appley ginger ale or something. I would start slow to make sure it doesn't irritate your UT (kind of like how cranberry juice is good, but can be irritating).

I started putting in in Lily's water a few days ago, she seems to really like it. She is so picky about her water I was shocked. When she wants fresh water (after its sat there for a few hours) she goes and barks at the toilet or shower to tell me to hustle. lol.

You just fill a pitcher with 1/4 to 1/2 ACV and the rest water, then use it as the final rinse after you rinse the conditioner. You dont need to rinse it out. Its really good for the skin and hair and helps with dry skin and dandruff. I use it to clean her ears a few times a month too.

Meghan

1 - 20 of 39 Posts