Havanese Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a breeder and finding the process frustrating. The advice on "how to pick a breeder" posts include tests that should be done by responsible breeders. So far, using the OFA site I've only found one breeder in my area (New England) who looks like they do all the recommended tests. Others I've seen recommended in the Forum do some but not all recommended tests. The most common thing left out is an eye test every year, but some do only a few of the tests.

How can you feel confident in a puppy if a breeder hasn't done all the recommended OFA testing?

I'm hoping we can get a dog without having to stay two years on a waiting list! But it also is very important to us to get a dog with the best chance for health and a long, happy life.

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
I've been searching for a breeder and finding the process frustrating. The advice on "how to pick a breeder" posts include tests that should be done by responsible breeders. So far, using the OFA site I've only found one breeder in my area (New England) who looks like they do all the recommended tests. Others I've seen recommended in the Forum do some but not all recommended tests. The most common thing left out is an eye test every year, but some do only a few of the tests.

How can you feel confident in a puppy if a breeder hasn't done all the recommended OFA testing?

I'm hoping we can get a dog without having to stay two years on a waiting list! But it also is very important to us to get a dog with the best chance for health and a long, happy life.
Most of the GOOD breeders I know in NE do eye testing on the dogs they are breeding. They may not do every dog they have every year. And they may have skipped a year or two on the breeding dog. As long as it is brought up to date before the dog is bred, that is fine. IF you want to PM me I can help you sort through any NE breeders you are concerned about.

Reactions: Sheri

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
The past couple of years, it's very much harder to get an appointment for the eye exam than it used to be. I carried 7 dogs a few weeks ago, and the next available open spots were next year.
Less of an excuse up here in New England. We have had several club clinics each year… even through Covid. I do think that having to have every dig done every year is… a lot to keep up with.

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
We have two choices. Either one is two hours one way, in opposite directions.
Yeah, then you want to get an appointment for a herd, all at once!

I think, even though it will be more expensive, Elinor and I (and maybe we can get Elizabeth and Linda will join us too) will try to get a joint appointment, all on the same day, with Dr. Maggio at Tufts. I really like her, trust her implicitly to be sensible and kind, and I like the idea of a less frenetic atmosphere than a show. Plus, again, driving to a show WOULD mean a couple of hours, AND, I know a lot of people do it, but I, personally, would not show a dog with dilated eyes. I just don't think it's fair to them. So it means not showing that day, and driving all that way to a show site, dealing with and paying for the parking, and the HORRENDOUS traffic driving HOME from Springfield for the CARE test. I'd rather pay the extra to have it done in a non-clinic setting!

Heck, maybe I can talk them into giving us a discount if I can get them enough dogs all on the same day! LOL! (the only one of mine that needs it at this point is Ducky, Elinor needs Robin done, Nora is still up in the air, but Linda and Elizabeth both have a handful)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts