Havanese Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My havanese Elio is nine months old and healthy. He does have constipation issues and needs plenty of water on the regular. He eats a mix of hills science diet small breed puppy and cooked chicken breast. He has never been a huge eater. Atleast twice a month he will have vomiting spells in the morning because he is hungry. This morning he is vomiting and not eating anything i give him and he has been on a hunger strike for two days, only eating small amounts. His attitude and energy are good. Maybe a bit more clingy this morning and wanting to just sit in my lap and sleep. What am i missing?? Thanks guys

·
Arf! Arf!
3,367 Posts
Take him to a competent Vet pronto (immediately).

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Constipation and vomiting could be a sign of IBD or some other type of intestinal issue. Please see your vet as soon as possible for workup.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Even if it just started because he was hungry and ate too fast or threw up bile, it can spin out of control quickly. You may end up in the vet’s office being told to give him a bland diet for a couple of days, but it is worth it because as mentioned, there’s a chance it’s an obstruction or constipation or he ingested something and those aren’t things to wait out. I hope he feels better soon, and you get some advice from the vet to help manage it going forward.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd definitely say go to the vet as well just to make sure it's nothing serious that you might be missing.

That being said, one of our havs does this, and it turned out to be her anxiety causing her not to eat (no known trigger). In order for her to eat, we free-feed her with kibble and give anything else as treats. That way she's able to eat whenever she's hungry and since she's not a big eater anyway, we've had no trouble with weight management. She still will go a day to 2 days without eating occasionally, but the vomiting spells have greatly decreased because she's able to take the edge away whenever she needs to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Once you’ve had a vet check, it seems like you should find a different food. My aunts Westie only eats the Farmer‘s Dog, and they settled on that after trying so many other foods. Our breeder is using stella and chewy, which is pricy, but gets very good reviews for picky eaters. we actually got a picture of our puppy’s litter getting their first food today and they loved the lamb patties. I hope you find a good solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts