Havanese Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hazel (9 mos) has been sick the last couple of days with vomiting and constipation. Her appetite was lower and I thought she was just being fussy about her food (she likes treats!) but then she vomited a couple of times in the evenings and then developed constipation. She was super uncomfortable with the constipation so I gave her some pumpkin mixed with her dinner and some oil and after several hours of “trying” (and some vomiting) she actually had diarrhea in her sleep! I feel so badly for her. She seems well and happy (bouncy!) today but she was well in the early part of the day the last couple of days too.
I hope this is making sense.
I wonder if this is a severe PMS reaction? I think Hazel is having her first serious estrus (heat) although we thought she already had one because there was some slight pink discharge but her little puella is quite swollen today. She is spending a lot of time cleaning herself.
so to sum up : off her food, vomiting, constipation, estrus- :eek::cry: is there a connection?

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
I don't think so... It sounds like she has a tummy bug. Hopefully it is mild.

She could easily have both at the same time, however! If her vulva is swollen, she may be close to coming into heat. She will have frank, red discharge when she is in full heat, fading to pink, then stew colored as she reaches her "fertile" period. After that, the discharge tapers off. Over all, she will be in heat for a period of about three weeks.

Some girls are so good at keeping themselves clean that it can be hard to find the blood. The best time to check can be first thing when they wake up. Press a clean tissue to her vulva. if she is in heat, you should be able to see blood on it.

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Thank you Karen. She is so perky right now, still burping a bit, she seems well. I hope it lasts. The last couple of nights have been exhausting.
Poor little thing! Some times tummy bugs come and go on their own, just as they do with children!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.