Havanese Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Sheena and I'm a first time mummy to a havanese. I will be able to pick up my little boy Napoleon in two weeks. He is 5 weeks and I'm concerned that he doesn't have a lot of hair for his age and might be a shavanese. Most of the pictures i see online for 5 week old pups seems different. Is this normal for 5 weeks ?

Attachments

·
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
887 Posts
It does look a little bit short, but I wouldn't worry that much. Chester is very shaggy but it doesn't look like it that much because he has ridiculously long legs and the hair only goes down about half. Long coat or short, Napoleon sure is a cutie!:)

·
Ginger's Happy Owners
344 Posts
There's quite a variety in coats. Very cute little guy (course they all are, all puppies in fact). Have you seen the parents?

·
Cuba and Tycho
1,090 Posts
Five weeks is very young; Cuba's hair was no longer than that, from photos I saw (I didn't meet her till she was 8 weeks old, didn't bring her home till 12 weeks old).

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Don't worry about the hair he looks normal for that age. Also I hope your mistaken about bringing him home at 7 weeks? You want to have him stay longer for developmental reasons. Most reputable breeders have you wait tell at least 10 weeks. I brought my Maddie home at 8 weeks but I was able to stay home 100% with her for a month. Congratulation's he is so cute.

·
Cuba and Tycho
1,090 Posts
Don't worry about the hair he looks normal for that age. Also I hope your mistaken about bringing him home at 7 weeks? You want to have him stay longer for developmental reasons. Most reputable breeders have you wait tell at least 10 weeks. I brought my Maddie home at 8 weeks but I was able to stay home 100% with her for a month. Congratulation's he is so cute.
Agree with Suzi; spending more time with your litter mates and mother is an important part of development.

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
I think he looks fine. It is too hard to tell at 5 weeks old. The bigger question is why are you allowed to have him at 7 weeks? I would question how reputable the breeder is…..be very careful.

·
2,550 Posts
:welcome: Sheena, and congrats on your new puppy. Ditto on the seven weeks, though. Much to early to leave Mom and siblings. That would be a red flag to me.

·
Cyndy
102 Posts
It is too early to make any predictions - plus the hair color etc changes so much - geez my IZZy is just a bit over four months and she is totally different colors. But yes my vet and more importantly my breeders didn't want my puppy home until at least 8 weeks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive seen both parents and they are long haired. Infact i get him after he has turned 8 weeks. I can visit him as much as i want though. I live in the Caribbean and the breeder is actually the only person with Havanese dogs. I might be one of 10 ppl in the country to have one. She does it because she loves the breed. I got new photos and video of him this weekend and his hair has grown out a lot so I'm not worried anymore. Thanks everyone and so happy to be part of the havanese family. They seem to be great companions and i feel very lucky to experience this.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Glad to hear that he'll come home with you after 8 weeks old and that you got some updated pictures and videos. You must be so excited! :) -Jeanne-

·
Metrowest, MA
27,661 Posts
As you've found, it does take a bit of time for them to start to get "fluffy". :)

So glad you've found us… Make sure you oat PLENTY of "puppy pictures. (right through… even when he's a full grown "puppy"! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts