Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
My vet started us with Frontline Plus. I used to use Advantage on my other dogs. They both work.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Sorry- I do not give any to my pups as my lawncare Co does 3 applications a year for ticks and it seems to work on the yard & gardens. I never take them anywhere where they might come in conact with fleas (except maybe the vets) so I dont usually worry about those. My vet does try to offer it at each visit and they recommended to me the frontline plus.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
I have used both.I think they both work equally well.Last year I used k9 advantix and I think we will probably use the same one.We had lots of ticks here last year.:eek:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The breeder recommended Frontline . I gave Asta Sentinel . I have just read something about Advantatix but I cannot remember if it was negative or positive . I will have to go back and look for it ..

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have always used Sentinel on my bigger dogs and was planning on using this one Mirabel as it protects against so many things with one pill. Is there a disadvantage to using this medicine in a smaller dog?

I hope everyone has a pest free season!

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
We have a horrible time with ticks, so we've always used Frontline Plus with our Golden's.. but the last year we used it, it really didn't work good on the fleas (which we also have a problem with, since the neighbors dogs all seem to have them, and they walk up and down my fence line 'playing' with my dogs.)

We started Princess on it, but we'll probably end up switching to something else. I would hate to think of fleas or ticks in that long coat :eek:

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Hmmmmm... guess I'd better get something for my pooches as well! April is usually when we start with the cats and end sometime in Oct. We give the cats Revolution, but not sure what the vet will recommend for Ricky and Sammy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JUST KEEPING EVERYBODY POSTED SINCE I STARTED WITH K9 ADVANTIX I HAVE NOT FOUND A TICK. BEFORE ADVANTIX I FOUND A TICK AT LEAST ONCE A DAY.:)

·
Owned by Molly & Riley
40 Posts
My vet recommended Sentinel last year, so that's probably what we'll go with this year as well. Will our new puppy need to take pills too? He/she was born 3/21 and we'll be bringing him/her home end of May or beginning of June.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I would check with your vet but I know our breeder did not recommend anything but Frontline in puppies and she recommended that if possible not to give anything before 6 months . Now I know this may not be feasible according to where you live and the incidence of fleas and ticks . The first vet I went to recomended Advantage - the vet tech went ahead and put it on -it was too stong and and it made him cough and gag..I went home and washed it off .. I thought he was far too young and little for this stuff I was afraid it would make it him sick and get all over us when we handled him .I had not had the e mail advice form the breeder as yet ..
I now go to a new vet - we are in the desert right now so I do not need to worry about the ticks .. Mosquitooes yes ..
I will look into something once we go back home or head up to Tahoe . Both dogs will be older and hopefully less sensitive .. I really liked the Sentinel Asta never had a flea or a tick - but a lot of people seem to like Frontline ..:confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WELL IT HAS BEEN TWO WEEKS NOW AND MY HAV HAS NOT HAD ONE FLEA OR TICK ON HIM WITH THE K9 ADVANTIX. THAT'S GOOD WHEN BEFORE THAT I WOULD FIND A LEAST A TICK A DAY. NEVER REALLY HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE FLEA'S BUT THE TICKS WERE HORRIBLE:eek:

·
(and Taylor Too! )
1,243 Posts
My vet recommended revolution cause it's all in one. If you look around online you can find some pretty good deals on it too..My vet matches prices online so that makes it a world easier as well. So far Sinatra has been flea and tick free for as long as I've had him so I'm not going to stop using it!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
No fleas on the dogs, yet, but I found one in my head. It must have been from the cat, because he sits on the top of my recliner, right near my head. I also give them Sentinel, but the vet said if it is a bad season, they really need both. And I have to give it to all of them at the same time to avoid the fleas spreading (2 dogs/3 cats). It's expensive, but worth not having fleas. We don't have a tick problem here, thank goodness.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts